Rampage Housings/Upgraded Harness Writeup - And A Fix For Some of You!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Rampage Housings/Upgraded Harness Writeup - And A Fix For Some of You!!

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Reply
Unread 12-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #16
jbudz511
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nutley, NJ
Posts: 64
Question. This may be totally amateur but I am fairly new to DIY projects and jeeps in general. I just received the Rampage headlights as well as the eautoworks harness for Xmas

So heres my question, I was able to follow this write-up, my only question is do you have to do anything with the relays or the red wires? In the write up you only mention the grounds the plugs? Thanks for the help, I can't wait to install them

jbudz511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2012, 11:14 PM   #17
bdheaton
Junior Member
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Yelm, WA
Posts: 48
Relays and Red Wires.

The relays can be mounted anywhere secure and convenient. The red wires need to go to a power source, preferably through an appropriately sized fuse if one isn't part of the harness. You could go either directly to the battery, off the PDC, or some other location.

The plug going into the factory headlight socket energizes the coil of the relay when you turn on the headlights. The red wires bring power into the relay contacts which are switched by the coil. The other side of those contacts goes to the new headlight connector.

-BDH



Quote:
Originally Posted by jbudz511 View Post
Question. This may be totally amateur but I am fairly new to DIY projects and jeeps in general. I just received the Rampage headlights as well as the eautoworks harness for Xmas

So heres my question, I was able to follow this write-up, my only question is do you have to do anything with the relays or the red wires? In the write up you only mention the grounds the plugs? Thanks for the help, I can't wait to install them
bdheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 07:07 AM   #18
TPI Monte SS
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdheaton View Post
The relays can be mounted anywhere secure and convenient. The red wires need to go to a power source, preferably through an appropriately sized fuse if one isn't part of the harness. You could go either directly to the battery, off the PDC, or some other location.

The plug going into the factory headlight socket energizes the coil of the relay when you turn on the headlights. The red wires bring power into the relay contacts which are switched by the coil. The other side of those contacts goes to the new headlight connector.

-BDH
Indeed. I mounted the relays on the inner fender behind the battery (near the fuse box, IIRC), and connected the power lead directly to the battery since the harness is fused. Good luck with your install!
__________________
Steve Ragusa - North Jersey
'01 XJ - SOLD!

'06 Infiniti G35x - coupe front springs, tint, FX35 18's, hitch for the bike rack.

'03 KJ Limited -WifesJeep- 3.7, Auto, NP 242, '06 Limited 17's. 50K original miles.
TPI Monte SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 08:33 AM   #19
jbudz511
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nutley, NJ
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPI Monte SS View Post

Indeed. I mounted the relays on the inner fender behind the battery (near the fuse box, IIRC), and connected the power lead directly to the battery since the harness is fused. Good luck with your install!
Did you make a new hole for the relays or did you use one that was already there. There is a bunch of different sized holes around that area that seem suitable that I used. I haven't connected the power lead yet. How would you go about doing that lol. Like I said, new to DIY and cars and stuff. I feel like a metal tool going onto the battery terminal is bad news bears...thanks for all the help guys
jbudz511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 08:52 AM   #20
TPI Monte SS
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbudz511 View Post
Did you make a new hole for the relays or did you use one that was already there. There is a bunch of different sized holes around that area that seem suitable that I used. I haven't connected the power lead yet. How would you go about doing that lol. Like I said, new to DIY and cars and stuff. I feel like a metal tool going onto the battery terminal is bad news bears...thanks for all the help guys
Ah, I didn't realize you were that new to wrenching. I used existing holes in the radiator support behind the headlights, no extra cutting. You have to disconnect the ground wire on the battery first - that's the black one. Once that's off, there's no electricity running through the Jeep and you won't get shocked. Then you can connect the red power wire from the headlight harness - use a ring terminal crimped onto the end of wire and attach it to the battery at the clamp. Something like this -

__________________
Steve Ragusa - North Jersey
'01 XJ - SOLD!

'06 Infiniti G35x - coupe front springs, tint, FX35 18's, hitch for the bike rack.

'03 KJ Limited -WifesJeep- 3.7, Auto, NP 242, '06 Limited 17's. 50K original miles.
TPI Monte SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 09:04 AM   #21
jbudz511
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nutley, NJ
Posts: 64
Ok awesome thank you got your help and bearing with my lack of knowledge lol
jbudz511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #22
TPI Monte SS
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbudz511 View Post
Ok awesome thank you got your help and bearing with my lack of knowledge lol
No problem, we all gotta start and learn somewhere! Good luck with it, and let us know if ya need more help!
__________________
Steve Ragusa - North Jersey
'01 XJ - SOLD!

'06 Infiniti G35x - coupe front springs, tint, FX35 18's, hitch for the bike rack.

'03 KJ Limited -WifesJeep- 3.7, Auto, NP 242, '06 Limited 17's. 50K original miles.
TPI Monte SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 05:27 AM   #23
Shobie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 27
I put in the Rampage lights and they work great! The only problem I have is aiming them can be a little tricky.

I built my own wiring harness, very easy to do, and I don't have the problem of lights staying on. There must be a design flaw in the harness everyone is buying if lights are staying on after you turn off your light switch.
Shobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #24
jbudz511
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nutley, NJ
Posts: 64
There's nothing wrong with mine! The lights turn on and off like they normally did. And they seem to new aimed perfectly. How do you go about aiming them anyway?
jbudz511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.