Rampage Housings/Upgraded Harness Writeup - And A Fix For Some of You!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Rampage Housings/Upgraded Harness Writeup - And A Fix For Some of You!!

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE KitsARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits

Unread 01-21-2010, 09:10 PM   #1
TPI Monte SS
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Rampage Housings/Upgraded Harness Writeup - And A Fix For Some of You!!

I know this is a hot topic, so I decided to do a quick writeup with some pics on my install. I bought an eAutoworks harness and the Rampage headlights through Amazon. I started by removing the headlight bezels, stock headlights, and grille. Then I ran the long side of the harness through the hole in the passenger-side firewall behind the header panel (in front of the battery), zip-tied it to the harness that runs across the bottom of the header, and brought it up on the driver side.

The 3-prong connector on the lower left gets plugged in to the stock headlight plug (shown in the bucket).

Here it is plugged in, now just tuck it in behind the bucket.

Now, bring the new socket up behind the hole in the headlight bucket, and screw the ground wire to the core support.

Here's a shot of the harness coming through, under the header panel. It's the bright yellow one.

And here's where it goes up on the passenger side. I fished the socket through, taped off and tucked the stock one behind the bucket, then screwed the ground wire to the core support on this side as well.

And here's a good shot of the Rampage housing.

Now, here's a potential fix for some of you that had issues with the lights staying on after shutting off the switch with your HD harnesses. After driving around last night, I found after I used the headlights, they would stay on until I turned the key off - even if the light switch was off. The weird thing was, the side markers and tailights were off, but the two headlights were still lit - almost like the delay if you turn off the lights after shutting off the key. I checked my owners manual and found Fuse 9 controlled the Headlamp Delay Module, along with the gauges and a few other things. I pulled the fuse, and lo and behold, the lights worked fine and switched properly! So, after searching the FSM, I located the Headlamp Delay Module and pulled the plug. The lights work perfectly now!!! I guess it was somehow backfeeding the module, so it kept the headlights on when the switch was off. Here's a pic of the offending module on the left -

The harness has 2 light green wires, a red/white stripe wire, a white/black stripe wire, and a black wire going into it, and is located behind the knee blocker panel below the steering column. The FSM states to disconnect the battery when working in this area - I guess if you pull the wrong plug or hit something you could potentially set off the air bag. Be careful, and I hope that helps you all!!!

'06 Infiniti G35x - coupe front springs, tint, FX35 18's, hitch for the bike rack.

'03 KJ Limited -WifesJeep- 3.7, Auto, NP 242, '06 Limited 17's. 50K original miles.

Last edited by TPI Monte SS; 01-26-2010 at 08:50 PM..
TPI Monte SS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2010, 11:05 PM   #2
csouers
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Nice writeup. Mine sometimes stay on when I turn the switch off with the key on. But a simple flick of the flash-to-pass bright switch and they go off. Doesn't happen very often though.

I like my Delayed off at night. It's amazing that a car or my year has that. When I drive with people around, they tell me I left my lights on. Then I tell them that they go off by themselves and their look is priceless.

My Photography
csouers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2010, 11:14 PM   #3
sbxj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I admire your writeup and pics but why would you install something that disables your light function and doesn't allow it to work the way it was designed? Not to mention the headlights are probably worse than the stock headlights as far as putting light in front of the vehicle.
If your going to upgrade then why not do it right?

'99 WJ Laredo, 4.0L with HID Retrofit
WJ HID Retrofit Pics
sbxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2010, 12:01 AM   #4
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Excellent shots... and 100% identical to my install. I was having issues with mine too, and I think this may be the fix. I will give this a try, after disconnecting the battery. lol

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2010, 06:52 AM   #5
kboyts
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbxj View Post
I admire your writeup and pics but why would you install something that disables your light function and doesn't allow it to work the way it was designed? Not to mention the headlights are probably worse than the stock headlights as far as putting light in front of the vehicle.
Are you serious? How do you figure they are worse then stock headlights? A maglite taped to your hood would out shine stock headlights. Oh nevermind, I read your sig. You're one of the " HID projector" or go home fanbois.

_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
kboyts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2010, 07:47 AM   #6
junkiejeep
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Good write up, that is how I did mine. With the eautoworks harness that seems to be the only way to do it. I used the autopals and light output is way better than stock. One of the best upgrades I've done so far, even with the auopal h4 bulbs. Why spend the money on an hid upgrade?
junkiejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2010, 08:41 AM   #7
TPI Monte SS
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the compliments guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN_vimb
Excellent shots... and 100% identical to my install. I was having issues with mine too, and I think this may be the fix. I will give this a try, after disconnecting the battery. lol
Hopefully that works for you too, make sure you report back to let us know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbxj View Post

The only thing this disables is leaving the headlights on after the truck is turned off. Not a big deal to me, I always turned off the lights first anyway. And, as far as light output, these are not some cheap housings with plastic lenses. The Rampage lights are an aluminum housing with a glass lens, and DOT-approved; they have a much better cutoff than the original headlights, and beam pattern is WAY better. These headlights are pretty much a rectangular version of the OEM headlights on my wife's KJ, and I can see great at night in that truck. Besides, this is the "right way" to do it in NJ - an HID retrofit is illegal at inspection time.

'06 Infiniti G35x - coupe front springs, tint, FX35 18's, hitch for the bike rack.

'03 KJ Limited -WifesJeep- 3.7, Auto, NP 242, '06 Limited 17's. 50K original miles.
TPI Monte SS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2010, 09:14 AM   #8
medicmandan

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Which harness did you use? Searching Amazon but can't seem to find it.
medicmandan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2010, 10:05 AM   #9
Jeepy84
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Same one everyone else uses, lol.Factory Replacement H4 Headlight Harness Upgrade Kit from eAutoWorks
Unread 01-27-2010, 10:31 AM   #10
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Nice write up, I will be installing my upgraded wiring harness soon. The one I got was a different one from ARB, not the Eautoworks harness, but I'm sure the wiring is similar. I have the IPF H4 upgrade and agree that they are much better than stock, and IMO better than HIDs. Most of the HID kits I have seen don't match the correct projector to the housing and scatter the light everywhere which blinds on coming drivers and WILL get you pulled over. I've also seen kits which are way too blue and don't light up the area infront of the vehicle very well. I'm not saying HIDs are the wrong way to go, if you do them CORRECTLY. Its pretty expensive to do them the right way and people usually go the cheap way.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2010, 11:14 AM   #11
csouers
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well said jeepkid. Projectors are amazing if done well. It's sad that they're so damn expensive to do. I'll stick with my halogens and rampages.

My Photography
Unread 01-27-2010, 05:47 PM   #12
sbxj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kboyts View Post
Are you serious? How do you figure they are worse then stock headlights? A maglite taped to your hood would out shine stock headlights. Oh nevermind, I read your sig. You're one of the " HID projector" or go home fanbois.
true about the maglite LOL and the hid, although I respect everyone's choice.
but I was curious why you would settle for a harness that would force you to disable any part of the lighting regardless of it's usefullness. Seems like a step in reverse. For a few dollars more you could buy a safer heavy duty harness.

'99 WJ Laredo, 4.0L with HID Retrofit
WJ HID Retrofit Pics
sbxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2010, 05:57 PM   #13
EG00TJ
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Anyone have a link to this Eautoworks harness ?
Unread 02-04-2010, 06:19 PM   #14
csouers
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Factory Replacement H4 Headlight Harness Upgrade Kit from eAutoWorks

Tahdah!

My Photography
Unread 02-04-2010, 06:24 PM   #15
EG00TJ
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you sir !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.