Radio Unit Display Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Radio Unit Display Issue

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-15-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
NJblackXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Radio Unit Display Issue

Having issues with my radio display - Power seems to be reaching the unit, but there's no signal or connection (lights on, nobody home). I've replaced all the related fuses in the kicker and box up front, but no luck. Wondering if there's anything else worth checking before I move to replace the unit entirely. Also, any idea what a good place to find one online would be? Thanks in advance.

NJblackXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2012, 11:18 PM   #2
GetLifted
1996 XJ Cherokee 

It's toast.

Get this one
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130P340...H-P3400BH.html

Wish I had a double din
GetLifted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2012, 07:38 AM   #3
NJblackXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetLifted View Post
It's toast.

Get this one
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130P340...H-P3400BH.html

Wish I had a double din
Perks of a late model I guess!

Sadly I'm just bringing her back up to spec for sale. Fixed all my little issues then this happened.

That pioneer is gorgeous but...any idea where to find a stock unit?
Unread 11-16-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
NJblackXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Found this... http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/S...0503/SFV/30046

Anyone had experience with this vendor or know a better source/price?

Will I actually need to take the unit to the dealer for "re-programming" + is the $45 estimate realistic?
Unread 11-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
GetLifted
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Don't waste your time with a crap stock unit. I posted the double din model but I personally have the 129$ pioneer 6500bt unit. That plus a plastic single din surround (adds a pocket too) for ~25$...if you need a install pay the 40$ at a local shop.
Unread 11-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #6
heepsterxj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I got this one off crutchfield in my jeep. The factory harness/dashplate is an extra $15 now, but when i got this deck it was over the $119 that crutchfield gives it to you for free at.

The harness end matches the factory wiring so all you do is crimp the harness to the deck you buy and its completely plug and play to the factory harness in your jeep (at least it was for my 98 XJ). It also dims when my headlights are on and brightens up when they're off as well so its less of a distraction while driving at night.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158GT56...P.html?tp=5684

ANDDDDD this stereo allows you to custom select the button colors, so I was able to make it green to match the dashboard.

Sound quality is awesome, plus it has AUX and USB input (works on my iphone 3gs) but normally i just keep a thumbdrive in it with mp3s on it and its great.

Last edited by heepsterxj; 11-16-2012 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: added info about harnesses
heepsterxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2012, 08:17 PM   #7
GetLifted
1996 XJ Cherokee 

*look for one with Bluetooth. Once you get t you'll wonder why you didn't earlier.
Unread 11-17-2012, 01:23 PM   #8
sbxj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I like the look of the stock stereo in the dash and hate the aftermarket gimmicky units.
Used ebay OEM stereos are waaay too pricey though. The leds go out one at a time.
Besides, the new owner would likely replace with an up to date unit anyway.

'99 WJ Laredo, 4.0L with HID Retrofit
WJ HID Retrofit Pics
sbxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #9
GetLifted
1996 XJ Cherokee 

The new double din pioneers are far from gimmicky units. Go to a best buy and check em out. I'd compare it to having a huge iphone/iPad mini with a nice amp in the dash.

The stock unit is a joke.
Unread 11-17-2012, 04:37 PM   #10
sbxj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I'm sorry, when reffering to "gimmicky" I should have clarified and said the displays. The new head units have awesome capabities but it's the gawdy, game like displays I dislike and prefer the OEM subtelty.

'99 WJ Laredo, 4.0L with HID Retrofit
WJ HID Retrofit Pics
sbxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #11
heepsterxj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

i'll try and get some pictures of the one I have in at night. it's not really offensive at all and you can change the display to only show the clock so its actually pretty minimal in terms of the display.

i feel like trying to get an original deck will cost you more and won't be as reliable since it'll already have some years on it.
heepsterxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2012, 01:01 AM   #12
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

sbxj:
I agree with you entirely. I don't know why the aftermarket folks can't make something simple. When off, the clock should be visible. The display should change brightness when the headlights are on. Nothing more. As the CD/Tape?Aux is mine, I don't need a display to tell me. I never did understand having to press 3 or more buttons to pre select a station or set the clock.

Regards,

Jim W
JWELK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.