Radio static - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Radio static

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 10-31-2013, 07:10 PM   #1
blue96jeep
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Radio static

i have static in my speakers at mid volume. I thought it was the antenna so I tried my iPod and CD. Its still there.

Backstory
when it first happened I thought the speakers were going bad because they were 11 years old, I figured time for an up grade, got new speakers and put them in. static still there and then the head unit crapped out, so I replaced it. Static is sill there. I even removed the radio antenna wire from the back of the head unit and used my iPod, static is still there.

any ideas on what could be causing it?

blue96jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
Soldier905
1988 MJ Comanche 

Try cleaning the grounds and the connections .
Soldier905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
blue96jeep
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I cleaned both the grounds in the engine compartment with no real help I can't find the ground for the radio harness
Unread 11-01-2013, 07:20 AM   #4
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue96jeep View Post
I cleaned both the grounds in the engine compartment with no real help I can't find the ground for the radio harness

Which "Both Grounds" in the engine bay?

Man who stands in front of Jeep gets tired. Man who stands behind Jeep gets exhausted.
CCKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #5
blue96jeep
1996 XJ Cherokee 

the ground from the engine block to the fire wall and then the ground from the negative battery terminal to the fender
Unread 11-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
Roler

In my 97 post update, the strap-like ground from the rear of the block to the firewall IS the radio static interference ground (or whatever its official name is). If you have this too, you might want to replace it. Other possibility would be loose connection/wires.
Roler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 04:33 PM   #7
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Here's a test you can perform to see if the bonding strap to the engine is a good connction. I know you cleaned this bonding but you may want to try the test anyway, just to say you did.

96 + XJ Body Ground Connection Test

This test checks the condition of the vehicle body ground connection (Braided cable on firewall to engine cylinder head bolt). This test should be performed with the battery positive cable removed from the battery.

Start: Disconnect both battery cables, the negative cable first, then the positive battery cable. Reconnect the battery negative cable and perform the test as follows:

(1) Connect one ohmmeter test lead to the vehicle fender. Connect the other test lead to the battery negative post.

(2) The resistance should be less than one (1.0) ohm.

(3) If the resistance is more than one ohm, check the braided ground strap connected to the engine cylinder head and the vehicle body for being loose, corroded, or damaged. Repair or replace the ground strap connection and replace bolt at firewall connection or nut at engine cylinder head bolt connection, if required.

Finish: Disconnect the negative battery cable. Reconnect positive battery cable, and then connect the negative battery cable.

Man who stands in front of Jeep gets tired. Man who stands behind Jeep gets exhausted.
Unread 11-02-2013, 04:40 PM   #8
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Other places to look for radio interference potentials are: Radio antenna base ground, Radio receiver chassis ground wire or strap, radio suppression-type spark plug wires, and the distributor rotor tip erosion. Other body components with poor grounds may cause interference, such as the HVAC Blower motor, alternator, and wiper motor.

Unread 11-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #9
Roler

I now recall it was you CCKen, when I remembered those nice pics of all the engine bay grounds
Roler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #10
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roler View Post
I now recall it was you CCKen, when I remembered those nice pics of all the engine bay grounds
Hope those pics helped you.

Unread 11-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #11
WBZ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I seem to recall a problem like this on a diesel Toronado many years ago. My starter was loose>
WBZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.