Radio Power Intermittent - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Radio Power Intermittent

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 06-08-2013, 11:18 PM   #1
Chris_1997_XJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Radio Power Intermittent

Okay all, I have a new gremlin with the XJ. On occasion, traveling down the road my factory radio will fade out (sound and power) and sometimes go out requiring me to power it off then back on using the dial.

On other occasions, putting the front powers windows up using the switch will cause the radio's power and sound to fade?

Has anyone experienced these gremlins? Looking forward to your replies.

Chris_1997_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
duckhunter6288

My 98 has problems with the radio a lot but mine is strange. Let me explain! When you try to roll up two windows at once on the drivers panel the radio will shut off. It is an aftermarket radio but still very confused!
duckhunter6288 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 05:57 AM   #3
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

My 2000 does the same thing with the front windows.It cuts the stereo off for a few seconds and makes a lot of static.Turning up the stereo too loud causes the power to go in and out and pulse. I'm thinking of just wiring the stereo directly to the fuse box to see if it makes any difference.
2000' WJ Limited 4.7L-V8/D44/Quadra-Drive
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 08:38 AM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_1997_XJ View Post
... putting the front powers windows up using the switch will cause the radio's power and sound to fade?
Wiring issues in the XJ front doors are common. If you have a short circuit in the door wire harness you can have a loss of connectivity or you can have 12 volts feeding directly into the speaker wires. Most head units have a circuit breaker inside and the head unit will shut down to protect itself.

Inspect the door wire harness for broken wires, chafed insulation, and failed wire splices. Be sure to look inside the rubber boot also.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #5
duckhunter6288

I will have a look at everything and see if I can find a culprit!! Thanks foe the advice
duckhunter6288 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
power , radio , sound , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.