Radio and Lock trouble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Radio and Lock trouble

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-14-2011, 06:59 AM   #1
CGinWI
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Radio and Lock trouble

First question,
The front speakers did not work when I got my XJ last July. I've been busy working on other things but this last weekend it was time to work on them.
I have read that it was most likely a broken wire in the door bellows.
I ran new wires and when i hooked them up the speakers worked, for about
10 seconds then a pulsing noise starts. I unhooked for a minute then hooked up again, 10 seconds later the pulsing again.
What could it be ?

Second question,
I opened my rear hatch this weekend and closed the hatch and the lock solenoid starts going nuts for a couple of minutes and has been almost every time i work the handle or shut the door. Door works fine. I also found out that now I can't lock my doors, not with the key fob or manual with the switch on the door. Would just replacing the solenoid fix ?

Thanks for any help you can give !!

CGinWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 08:54 AM   #2
Northernsun
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Last edited by Northernsun; 02-14-2011 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: double posted
Northernsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 08:55 AM   #3
Northernsun
2001 XJ Cherokee 

same issue(kind of)

Mine too. The speakers dont work, and I have seen what the cause is, just havent fixed it yet. My questions is, what kind of impedence does your ne wspeaker wire have? If it not very good, you could be getting some residual voltage from another wire that is freyed in the door elbow. May have to look at everything in there to be sure thats not the issue.

On the issue of the rear hatch, sorry to hear that. Mine just doesnt work(its loose) and I hope thats the only issue. The guy I got it from has a rope inside to pull it open. I will get to it when the weathers warmer.
Unread 02-14-2011, 12:08 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

2nd ? first, I would guess you have a short circuit in the hatch wire harness that is making the solenoid misbehave. Inspect the wires in and near the rubber boots by the hinges. If those are OK, take the plastic trim panel off and inspect the wires, wire connector, and the solenoid in the hatch. Once you have that fixed you might find that the speakers work right.

Describe how you hooked up the speaker wires, what type of wire you used, and where you made the connections on both ends of the wire. As suggested, inpsect the other wires in the door wire harness for chafed insulation or other damage.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2011, 05:33 AM   #5
CGinWI
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Tim,
I cut the speaker wires a couple of inches before they go into the door bellows.
I forget to mention that I did touch the wires to the speaker where I cut them and it did the same thing.

I used the spade connectors at the speaker, I think I used 12ga wire, I know that's over kill but its what i had lying around. The other connections are getto,
twisted together and electrical tape.
CGinWI is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.