Radio antenna went bad? How to replace it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Radio antenna went bad? How to replace it?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdGear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4

Unread 08-12-2005, 02:05 PM   #1
skyjacked94xj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Radio antenna went bad? How to replace it?

My radio antenna is bad somewhere. I took the plug out from the head unit and put a different antenna in the hole and it played perfectly.. So that tells me i need a ned antenna or cable.. My question is how in the hell do you get the antenna out or get to the cable? I tried pulling the dash apart near the glove box but the box is pop rivoted on.. Any suggestions?>\

CLASSIC TOY
1968 Chevy C-10 short bed
Chevy 350 crate motor | 4-speed | fully restored | Lowered | 20" Centerline Daggers.. wayyy too much to list

Project
1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
350 TPI | WS6 | 48k original miles | Flame Red Metallic

SOLD: 94 cherokee | Lifted | Locked
SOLD: 97 TJ | 33's | 4.56's | :(

Searching for an Ls-1 Rx-7 project....
skyjacked94xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2005, 02:28 PM   #2
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Is the antenna fixed or powered?
In either case, to get to the antenna base, you will need to partially remove the rubber liner inside the wheel well below the antenna. The cable enters the cabin behind the passenger kick panel, then is routed under the dash to the radio.

Last edited by tangofox007; 08-12-2005 at 04:42 PM..
tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2005, 03:20 PM   #3
andromeda
2000 XJ Cherokee 

i have a 2000 XJ with regular non-powered antenna and it unscrews from the base on top of my fender.
andromeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2005, 04:20 PM   #4
anony91xj

The chances of the antenna itself going bad are approximately none, unless it snaps off or something...it's just a metal rod. The wire's most definitely broken somewhere.
Unread 08-12-2005, 09:01 PM   #5
skyjacked94xj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

well i am going to the junk yard tomorrow and i'm going to fool around there with some jeeps and see the easiest way to hack it out of there.. thanks for your help.

CLASSIC TOY
Chevy 350 crate motor | 4-speed | fully restored | Lowered | 20" Centerline Daggers.. wayyy too much to list

Project

Unread 08-12-2005, 10:56 PM   #6
wehtjns

I had the same problem, there is a break in the connection of the antenna wire.

Try this, look in the interior need the passengerís feet, there is a triangle piece of plastic under the dash . Its held there by one screw, remove this. You should now see the antenna wire that come out of the fender wall and there should be a connector that connects it to another section of wire that goes up into the dash and to the radio. This connector is spring loaded and over time the connector breaks under the pressure of the spring. Remove the spring and duck tape the connector back over the wire. It makes more scents when you get in there.
wehtjns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2005, 06:21 AM   #7
skyjacked94xj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I am going to go check that now

CLASSIC TOY

Project

Unread 08-13-2005, 09:16 PM   #8
skyjacked94xj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehtjns

Try this, look in the interior need the passengerís feet, there is a triangle piece of plastic under the dash . Its held there by one screw, remove this. You should now see the antenna wire that come out of the fender wall and there should be a connector that connects it to another section of wire that goes up into the dash and to the radio. This connector is spring loaded and over time the connector breaks under the pressure of the spring. Remove the spring and duck tape the connector back over the wire. It makes more scents when you get in there.

Thank you sooooo much. Thats exactly what is was.. Thanks for everyones input

CLASSIC TOY

Project

Unread 08-15-2005, 05:12 AM   #9
Brighton Jeeper

Quote:

I'm getting poor radio reception in my daughter's 2000. We just had an after market radio installed a few months ago. I need to check and see if there is a connector such as this in this model year also.
Brighton Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2005, 07:32 PM   #10
jeepsterwannabe

Quote:

does this apply to the 1990 Xj with power antenna? i cant seem to find the triangle peice...

new jeep, 00 Grand Cherokee, 2WD (i know..)
jeepsterwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2005, 03:08 PM   #11
skyjacked94xj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

i am sure it does apply to the the power antenna.. my case was with a fixed antenna.. But the triangle piece is the piece of plastic that would be directly beside your feet if you were sitting in the passengers seat.

Unscrew that rocker panel plastic and then unscrew another screw holding the triangle piece in and pull the piece... Then the antenna connecter should be right there. LEt me know if you have any questions.

CLASSIC TOY

Project

Unread 08-16-2005, 07:30 PM   #12
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterwannabe
does this apply to the 1990 Xj with power antenna? i cant seem to find the triangle peice...
My '88 with power antenna has no such part. FWIW.
tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 09:54 PM   #13
adammendelsohn
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehtjns View Post

I'm getting wobbly reception as well...sometimes it's good though...is this the spring loaded connector? If it is, you recommend pulling it apart and taking out the spring? What do you do, just pull hard to get the spring out?

Also, I don't have a rubber panel under the fender that I can see to get to my antenna. I can't tell if it's an electric motor antenna or not. Should it be obvious if it is?
p1070959.jpg   p1070970.jpg   p1070972.jpg  
adammendelsohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.