radio antenna no signal - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > radio antenna no signal

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-04-2013, 08:15 AM   #16
habbyguy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Kudos to the OP for offering up this solution "just to make things better". That's what makes this forum such a great one.

I recently bought a VW Jetta for a looooong road trip (really don't wanna do 7,000 miles in the XJ or put that kind of miles on my BMW), and had to do some work on it. So I joined the biggest VW forum around and started asking questions. 80% of the time, there's no response to tech questions. There is a load of misinformation that gets communicated and not corrected, and in general it seems like "you're on your own" if you have an odd problem (which I do, and which I've had to work out solo). I guess it's a difference in the typical driver of each vehicle - the XJ pilot does so because he (or she, occasionally...) is enthusiastic about the off-road potential, and sees the vehicle as an extension of his lifestyle. I guess the Jetta driver buys it because he wants to turn the key and get somewhere. Sigh.

The only better forum I've found is the GMC motorhome (1973-78) forum where every possible tech question is pounced on by at least several others who have "been there, done that". Those guys go really deep, but I guess that comes from the peculiar thrill / pain of owning and driving 12,000 pound antique hot rods with plumbing. ;-)

habbyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #17
Ohio96Jeep
1996 XJ Cherokee 

96 XJ Radio Antenna Reception Fix

I just did the repair outlined in this post and it worked perfectly. 2 Screws is all I had to remove, the others were already taken out. Just a screwdriver, 30 seconds and done. I took the spring out of the connector. Taped the connection with electrical tape. Plan on never needing to do the repair again. Thanks to the original poster.

Ohio96Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:41 AM   #18
xjpro
2001 XJ Cherokee 

2001 xj

Would a 2001 XJ have this connector as well?
Mine is suffering exactly the same symptoms of poor radio reception.
Where should I look for the connector?

Thanks
Electric fan conversion with spal fan controller
xjpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 08:51 AM   #19
Ohio96Jeep
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Antenna connector location for poor reception

It should be in the same location, behind the side panel on the passenger side. Should be a couple of screws holding the trim piece on and thats about all you need to do is remove the trim piece, connector will be right behind it.
Ohio96Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #20
xjpro
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio96Jeep View Post
It should be in the same location, behind the side panel on the passenger side. Should be a couple of screws holding the trim piece on and thats about all you need to do is remove the trim piece, connector will be right behind it.
Checked my antenna connection and everything looks tight, but still poor reception.

What should I look for??

Thanks.-
Electric fan conversion with spal fan controller
xjpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #21
Afro

great fix

After years of only getting poor reception on one local station I'm now getting every station clearly. went out after reading post and fifteen minutes later had radio again. I twisted out the spring which was pushing connection apart, put the sleeve back over the two ends and used electrical tape to hold together. Works great! Thanks.
Unread 01-15-2014, 04:48 PM   #22
lokithecoyote
Trickster

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I have got to try this out when I get home...and to think I almost replaced the whole antenna mast before trying this.

"Kit Fox" build - 1996 XJ Sport
lokithecoyote is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.