radio antenna no signal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > radio antenna no signal

New jk doors from steinjagerOconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 08-15-2004, 05:19 PM   #1
bdhaley

radio antenna no signal

Hey guys,

When I bought my 96 xj it had a problem getting a reception on my radio. I bought a new cd player to replace the factory cassette and still had the reception problem. I couln't receive any raio station except for when I was in town and it wasn't that great of a signal. I replaced the antenna mast thinking that maybe is was bad, didn't help. So I did some searching here and didn't really find anything helpful so I posted a couple of threads asking if anyone had any ideas. Finally someone replied to one of my threads telling me how he had the same problem and that if you remove the inside floor board panel on the passengers side you would find a spring loaded connector that looks like an extension for the antenna wire, he said that the connector had came loose causing the signal to fade. So I go and remove this cover and, as soon as I removed it I saw the connector he was talking about and it was almost all the way free so I plugged it together and tape it so it would hold. I turned the key on and the radio played the best music that I have heard it play, not only did I get my locale channel but I get every channel in a 75 mile radius. Problem fixed! I figured that I would post this thread so the next poor soul that has this problem will have something to go on. I can't remember right now who posted the reply to my thread but I wanna say.... many thanks to you frend.

Brent

[COLOR="DarkRed"]1998 TJ, 4 banger, 5 speed, Rusty's 2" lift, 31" BFG At KO's, AR 15x8 [URL="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/harley72/MY%20TJ/TJafter.jpg"][COLOR="DarkRed"]My TJ[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR]
[SIZE="4"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="blue"][URL="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/harley72/Liberty/Liberty.jpg"][COLOR="blue"]HER KJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2003 KJ Sport 4x4[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE]
bdhaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2004, 06:14 PM   #2
bignasty

Glad to hear you were able to fix it. I am having the same problem on my 89 XJ. I think I will pull that panel and see if my connector is loose. Hopefully this is all the problem is for me!
Unread 08-15-2004, 11:59 PM   #3
XM DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignasty
Glad to hear you were able to fix it. I am having the same problem on my 89 XJ. I think I will pull that panel and see if my connector is loose. Hopefully this is all the problem is for me!
The best thing to do is just get XM and you wont have that problem any longer.
XM DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2004, 08:37 AM   #4
mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhaley
Hey guys,

When I bought my 96 xj it had a problem getting a reception on my radio. I bought a new cd player to replace the factory cassette and still had the reception problem. I couln't receive any raio station except for when I was in town and it wasn't that great of a signal. I replaced the antenna mast thinking that maybe is was bad, didn't help. So I did some searching here and didn't really find anything helpful so I posted a couple of threads asking if anyone had any ideas. Finally someone replied to one of my threads telling me how he had the same problem and that if you remove the inside floor board panel on the passengers side you would find a spring loaded connector that looks like an extension for the antenna wire, he said that the connector had came loose causing the signal to fade. So I go and remove this cover and, as soon as I removed it I saw the connector he was talking about and it was almost all the way free so I plugged it together and tape it so it would hold. I turned the key on and the radio played the best music that I have heard it play, not only did I get my locale channel but I get every channel in a 75 mile radius. Problem fixed! I figured that I would post this thread so the next poor soul that has this problem will have something to go on. I can't remember right now who posted the reply to my thread but I wanna say.... many thanks to you frend.

Brent

I'm having this problem now on my 96, thanks posting this info, I'll try fixing it tonight.

-mofo
mofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2004, 09:47 AM   #5
bdhaley

mofo,
This forum is great and it always feels good to be able to help someone else through their problem.
I hope this is the your problem. Good luck!

My connector was split down the seam so I I taped it with duct tape first but it worked itself loose again so I then put a cable tie around it and made it real tight to pull the seam back together and then pushed the connector back in and it held real good so far.
Brent
[COLOR="DarkRed"]1998 TJ, 4 banger, 5 speed, Rusty's 2" lift, 31" BFG At KO's, AR 15x8 [URL="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/harley72/MY%20TJ/TJafter.jpg"][COLOR="DarkRed"]My TJ[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR]
[SIZE="4"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="blue"][URL="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/harley72/Liberty/Liberty.jpg"][COLOR="blue"]HER KJ[/COLOR][/URL]
Unread 08-19-2004, 05:40 PM   #6
JoBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhaley
Hey guys,

Brent
Your welcome

JoBo
96 xj with workig radio
JoBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2004, 05:05 PM   #7
04JeepTJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS! All of a sudden we're having this problem with our 96 XJ. I pulled out the aftermarket radio to make sure nothing came loose. It wasn't easy because my radio was stolen 3x in the span of 1 year many years ago so the stereo shop had come up with a way to make it impossible to steal (or service) the radio.

Now after I figure out where the floorboard is you're talking about I'll take a look. I was about to take apart the passenger side dash to try and follow the wire behind the glove compartment... hopefully there is an easier way.
Unread 11-07-2004, 05:14 PM   #8
KjT95xjCountry
1995 XJ Cherokee 

can you give a little more specific instructions on the location of this. my radio is doiong the dsame thing, so i'm very interested in this. any tools required to remove it? Thanks a lot.

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ dı1ɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
KjT95xjCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2004, 05:23 PM   #9
bdhaley

It's the panel that is right beside your right foot when you are sitting in the passenger seat. It goes from the floor up to just under the dash along the door seal.
Unread 11-07-2004, 05:49 PM   #10
KjT95xjCountry
1995 XJ Cherokee 

sweet, that's what i was thinking, but didn't want to go outside before i had a little more deffinate response (its cooooold outside)...

thanks

Unread 11-07-2004, 05:55 PM   #11
04JeepTJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

O.K. I just did this. I had to remove 2 screws on the door jamb area and then 1 PITA screw on the kick panel by the passenger's right ankle. I was not able to get that screw back in because I couldn't get it started in the hole. You'll need a philips screwdriver and a short philips screwdriver (the plastic cover over the dash/foot switch thingamabob gets in the way - you can take that out if you want to make it easier but I wasn't able to get the pain in the a$$ screw back in regardless so it won't matter).

My antenna thing was just loose. I unplugged the 2 ends and took the spring out and plugged it back in. If it gives me problems then I'll just put some tape on it now that it's real easy to fix.

It's funny because my 04 Sahara has the same "extension" cord type of thing right behind the removable glove compartment in the dash but there is no spring loaded thingy - it just plugs in.

Thanks again for the post. If I did a search a few days ago I wouldn't have had to take out the radio.

Of interest was a plug that wasn't 4 or 6 prongged plugged into anything. This is a fully loaded sport without a overhead console or fog lights so I'm wondering if the plug is for an option that I don't have or what. I didn't unplug anythign and the HVAC controls seem to work right.
Unread 11-07-2004, 06:19 PM   #12
madrabbitt

i have plugs and crap all over the place that dont plug into anything.

they use the same wiring harness from the factory no matter if you have a basic SE with manual tranny and no console, or a limited with the heated seats and trip computer.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2004, 06:23 PM   #13
KjT95xjCountry
1995 XJ Cherokee 

i just got back from fixin'er up.... new radio stations galore in less than five min! sweet deal

Unread 11-07-2004, 06:42 PM   #14
Lucky13

mine radio has the same problem only worse cuz i don't get any radio stations at all! i replaced the antenna and still have the same problem. after that i decided to look at thw wire and found what looked to be tiny teeth marks on the antenna wire where it is exposed from me ripping the inner fenders out. a damn furry animal chewed my fricken antenna wire! oh well time for XM radio
Me and my friends did acid in the woods, 'cuz there was much less chance of running into an authority fugure. But we ran into a bear. And that is way more of a buzz kill. I looked around and saw my friend swearing to prevent forest fires. Later, he came up to me and said, "Mitchell. Smokey is way more intense in person.- Mitch Hedberg
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 05:45 AM   #15
cherokeeshrop91
2009 KK Liberty 

a savior...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhaley View Post
Hey guys,

Brent
whoever originally figured this our is practically a god in my book, four as long as I've had my Jeep I've had no fm signal at all... for three years to be exact, you have no idea how amazing it feels to have fm radio...thank you for posting this, it will definitely save more guys like me in the future.
cherokeeshrop91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.