radiator tranny hose quick disconnect - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > radiator tranny hose quick disconnect

Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-19-2005, 10:08 PM   #1
rockodilered

radiator tranny hose quick disconnect

I'm replacing the stock radiator on my '91 XJ Laredo (4.0 I6 automatic w/ air conditioning) with an aftermarket 3-row. How do I get the lower tranny cooling hose off? It's got this "quick disconnect" but this is my first time doing this sort of thing and I don't know how to get the thing off.

rockodilered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2005, 10:15 PM   #2
Dave41079

Squeeze the two tabs with a pair of pliers, push towards the radiator, then tug off. It took me a couple of tries to get it right. Putting it back on you just push it on until it clicks and make sure both tabs are all the way out.
Cragar Soft 8's/31x10.50x15 BFG AT KO's[/COLOR]
[/CENTER]
Dave41079 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2005, 10:23 PM   #3
rockodilered

do I need to worry about tranny fluid leaking all over the place?
Unread 10-19-2005, 10:25 PM   #4
Dave41079

I just did this a week and a half ago. When I did it, my Jeep was completely cool..had been sitting all night. I had a drip or two, and that's it...it wasn't even the size of a dime. if it's warm, not sure.
Cragar Soft 8's/31x10.50x15 BFG AT KO's[/COLOR]
[/CENTER]
Dave41079 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2005, 11:01 PM   #5
rockodilered

I figure this thing should work like the quick disconnect on my air compressor hose, but since I can't squeeze the thing by hand I tried using my channel lock pliers to squeeze the metal part crimped to the hose together with the female end of this connector (see picture) but the thing won't budge. Any suggestions?
Unread 10-19-2005, 11:07 PM   #6
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

You have to remove the female part to screw into your new rad right? If so, just unbolt it from the rad now and pull the end off once it's out.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2005, 11:13 PM   #7
rockodilered

the bottom return tube coming out of the radiator (the male part that goes into the quick disconnect) is already attached to the new radiator, and it doesn't look like you can unscrew it from the old radiator without taking the tube off.

Maybe you're thinking of the compression fitting from the top tranny tube?
Unread 10-19-2005, 11:23 PM   #8
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Maybe, it's been like 3yrs sinse I did mine. Maybe try to get a wide Zip tie over the plastic clamp and squeeze it tight.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2005, 01:49 PM   #9
rockodilered

After talking to several auto pats stores, including a Jeep parts store, everyone says I need a special tool to get this quick disconnect off. The Jeep parts store said I could get it off without a tool but it would break in the process and I would need to replace it.

My girlfriend's 2000 Cherokee has the same exact connection as my '91 so I'm sure someone has run across this before. Here's a link to the photo again:

Thanks for all your help folks!
Unread 10-20-2005, 01:54 PM   #10
gregmondro

you shouldn't need a special tool. You might just need to take off the lower radiator hose if it's anything like my ZJ was. The lower radiator hose was in the way just enough where I couldn't fully get around the quick disconnects to squeeze them well enough for the thing to pull off.

It is just a quick disconnect like everyone said, you just need to squeeze the two and pull. Sounds easier then it is in some cases though
99 Jeep XJ - NP231, SYE, 4.56's, Rear D44 w/ Detroit SoftLocker and a RockCrusher Diff Cover, 35x12.5 BFG A/Ts, RE 5.5" XD Lift, Skidrow TC Skid, ORT Rear Bumper + Carrier, Rigidco Front Winch Bumper + Steering Box Plate, Milemarker 8000 Winch, Rock Sliders, HD Currie Steering, Control Arm Skids, Goferit Tie Rod Flip Insert, Optima Red Top and a few other goodies...
FiveZeroFive
XJ 8.25 Rear End Disc Brake Conversion For Sale!
gregmondro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2005, 03:31 PM   #11
ChadsXJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I had to remove that when I changed radiators probably 4 or 5 years ago on an '87 if I remember right, there is a plastic piece that is used as part of the quick disconnect, be carefull not to rip it apart, I think I had to get a new one when I did this.

Not to hyjack, but...Has anyone had a leak that originated from this connection? I think thats where one of my many are coming from.
4.0 6L, 4.5" RC full leaf pack, coils, and fixed length LCAs, IRO Rear BPEs, Front YJ Brakelines, IRO HnT SYE with Front DS, Cragar Blk D-Window 15x8 4"bs, General Grabber AT2s 33x12.50, Rear Hitch with Warn D-Ring Shackle, Dynomax Super Turbo, HD Offroad Shackle Relocation brackets, IRO Front Hooks, Fenders Trimmed, Stock Flares relocated, floor pans replaced.
ChadsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2005, 11:46 AM   #12
rockodilered

I figured it out. It takes a brake line / tranny line removal tool. See link: removal tool

I got a generic 2-in-1 tool for $9 at carquest and I had the tranny line off in 5 seconds.

Thanks for all your comments. I hope this helps someone in my situation in the future!
Unread 10-21-2005, 12:50 PM   #13
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockodilered
I figured it out. It takes a brake line / tranny line removal tool.
I just used my fingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadsXJ
Not to hyjack, but...Has anyone had a leak that originated from this connection?
I've had mine off of my radiator a few times and the ones off of the fuel rail a few times and none of them leak. You just need to be careful with the tabs when you squeeze them.
Unread 10-21-2005, 04:58 PM   #14
JJXJ

I was just going to post about that same exact line. Anybody know how to fix a leaky quick disconnect? Anybody eliminate the fitting all togeather?

Thanks y'all!
1997 XJ Sport-Dark Blue-4.0-AW4-NP 231-235/75R15 Delta Mud Tracs-ConFerr Roof Rack w/4 Baja's up front and 2 Optronics fogs for back up lights-Dynomax Catback-Banks header!-Bulldog remote starter-Sony Atrac3 Deck-10" 200 watt Bazooka

[url]http://www.myspace.com/amdapmulisha[/url]
JJXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2005, 06:43 PM   #15
Steelghost

I guess I got lucky mine came off first try using a pair of needle nose pliers. I dont know why they didnt make the bottom trans line threaded like the top.

Probably because that would be too easy....
Rusty's Airtube w/K&N cone filter
62mm overbored TB with 62mm spacer
Thule Racks
Crager Black D window 15x7 wheels
Flowmaster Super 40 muffler w/Dynomax tail pipe Magnaflow hi-flow cat
Bank's Torque Tube Header
Pioneer sound system
GPS
Wet Okole seat covers
Grant 15" signature series racing steering wheel
Heavy Duty rear leaf springs
Hella Black Magic Driving Lights
CSF 3 core radiator w/ 180 T-stat
JET Stage 2 computer module
Steelghost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.