Radiator Stop Leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Radiator Stop Leak

Halloween Savings to die for!Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 03-26-2005, 02:27 PM   #1
bryes

Radiator Stop Leak

I was reading another thread and the subject turned to Radiator Stop Leak, that powder or liquid that you pour into your radiator to seal leaks. The overwhelming response was negative; I just wanted to hear about others experiences with it and any horror stories that warrant such a response. I have personally used it in a few vehicles with mixed results. On the one hand the stuff does tend to clog small passages. However, this seems to be in extreme cases. The one that I know about clogged the heater core, but that was after about three or four applications.

I know that this will get response, but most of the engines that I have worked on do not contain such small passages and I would think that the amount it would take to clog say the head around the combustion chambers would be extreme. I have yet to see these passages blocked or restricted by anything other than corrosion which I doubt that the stuff has much bearing on. Not that I have an infinite amount of experience, but I do have some, probably more than most and I donít think it would be that bad or GM wouldnít recommend using it (incidentally the official GM stuff is what plugged the heater core!) and include it as I have in cooling systems from the factory.

On the plus side the stuff flat out works, although it may be temporary as I have witnessed. In one case a radiator was spewing coolant and I laughed to myself as my uncle (who incidentally has worked on more stuff than anyone I know so I knew to not laugh out loud) poured a small container in. The leak almost immediately stopped. However as I have found and my uncle concurs, that when a radiator develops a leak it is spotty all over (barring a rock hit or something causing a leak in an otherwise sound radiator) and if you fix the one spot than the others inevitably go bad soon . Needless to say that radiator soon sprung multiple others and replacement was necessary.

Lets put it this way, if I had a vehicle (as I do) which was loosing fluid and I suspected had a cracked head or block or maybe even a head gasket, and didnít have time (as I donít) or patients or money to do it right. I would sure try the stuff (as I did) and see if it worked (so far so good). I also know that the stuff seems to work for awhile and then let go dramatically so I would be sure to inform anyone who drives the 89 jeep that it may be a time bomb and probably not take it on long trips! although I might risk it myself but would be sure to have plenty of stop leak!

white-wall 235-75-r15's (my wife chose them)
bryes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2005, 03:29 PM   #2
BrunoS

i'm the guy that responded to the previous request for help with your info in question.

anyways:

Stop leak....of the "Bar's Leaks" variety....is ground walnut shells. this is the ONLY stuff i have ever used or recommend---BUT with some notes of me being a former wrench-head mechanic:

1) The only one to use is "Bar's Leaks" in the small, tiny 4-oz bottle of liquid.
2) Shake very well immediately before pouring.
3) ONLY use 1 tablespoon...borrow wife's measuring spoon set or rip it off from the kitchen drawer.
4) ONLY pour in a nicely warm and idling engine.
5) Only pour in radiator...the overflow bottle ain't the right area.
6) USE ONLY for stopping very small leaks, like a weeping seal or wet area around metal surfaces that are just a little wet from leaking coolant....small dribbles out of radiator are also good candidates. run engine/drive for at least 20-30 minutes after pouring in.
7) This is the only stuff that is non-toxic.
8) it is used by GM, Chrysler, Mercedes, and a host of other builders on their assembly line to cure piss-poor gasket misalignments....can't have leaks when leaving the line or being sold to customers.....
9) It will stop a head gasket that is leaking...and help you keep happy motoring until you need something else major done.
10) NEVER NEVER use anything else but the above, and only 1 tablespoon!!! Yes, pour enough of it in and you will proabably clog something...

here's how it works:

when wet/in liquid, it is very small and disperses in coolant. when it hits a spot that is leaking....it will dry, and swell about 15% in volume. it will dry nice and hard, providing an excellent seal. in the head gasket area, it will carbon up and stop small head gasket leaks. it is also a good trick for old radiator necks that just can't quite stop leaking hoses regardless of how tight the clamps are. it will usually do the trick in a 30-minute driving session.

Personally, I've had to use some on most of the vehicles i've owned once mileage got really high, and I coul'nt' stand coolant leaks. again. only use this stuff and in a very small amount.

So:

it will work
use only small amount as i stated above
only use this stuff...I have never seen anything else truly work like this.

Also, go to bar's leaks web site....they have pretty good info.
it is also a GM and chrysler and ford and mercedes part number if you want to spend big buck$ at the dealership.

-nuff said.
Magnaflow Muffler / High-flo Cat / MSD Coil
BrunoS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2005, 04:50 PM   #3
cmotsvt

I had a honda accord with 225k miles on it that had the headgasket going out, I got some of the head gasket stuff that you pour into the coolant. Obviously it didnt work and I got to learn how to do a head gasket. After the head gasket was replaced, and the head surfaced the car would overheat in the summer and the heater didnt work. The can of crud I put into it plugged the radiator and heater core.
I figure the headgasket fixer in a can is pretty similar to the radiator repair stuff, it was either a powder or a powder suspended in liquid.
cmotsvt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2005, 07:08 PM   #4
CraigAllen
1996 XJ Cherokee 

My mom's Isuzu diesel took a small rock hit to the lower radiator core- punched a hole in it about 1/8" diameter. I poured a tube of Alumiseal (the silver powder) in and the hole sealed up before the coolant had all leaked out. I was very impressed. That said, however, my son-in-law put some of the same stuff in his mother's Honda Civic and plugged something up inside the head. Ended up warping the head.
96XJ Sport 4.0 Auto CommandTrac, Chrys. 8.25, 1-3/4" BB, WARN HS9500 winch, WARN Body Armor front & rear bumpers, tire carrier, rock sliders and transfer case skid plate. 30x9.5 BFG Mud-Terrain T/A's. As of March 10, 2011, there are 205K miles on the clock and she's still good and strong!
CraigAllen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2005, 07:39 AM   #5
bryes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoS
i'm the guy that responded to the previous request for help with your info in question.

anyways:

Stop leak....of the "Bar's Leaks" variety....is ground walnut shells. this is the ONLY stuff i have ever used or recommend---BUT with some notes of me being a former wrench-head mechanic:

1) The only one to use is "Bar's Leaks" in the small, tiny 4-oz bottle of liquid.
2) Shake very well immediately before pouring.
3) ONLY use 1 tablespoon...borrow wife's measuring spoon set or rip it off from the kitchen drawer.
4) ONLY pour in a nicely warm and idling engine.
5) Only pour in radiator...the overflow bottle ain't the right area.
6) USE ONLY for stopping very small leaks, like a weeping seal or wet area around metal surfaces that are just a little wet from leaking coolant....small dribbles out of radiator are also good candidates. run engine/drive for at least 20-30 minutes after pouring in.
7) This is the only stuff that is non-toxic.
8) it is used by GM, Chrysler, Mercedes, and a host of other builders on their assembly line to cure piss-poor gasket misalignments....can't have leaks when leaving the line or being sold to customers.....
9) It will stop a head gasket that is leaking...and help you keep happy motoring until you need something else major done.
10) NEVER NEVER use anything else but the above, and only 1 tablespoon!!! Yes, pour enough of it in and you will proabably clog something...

here's how it works:

when wet/in liquid, it is very small and disperses in coolant. when it hits a spot that is leaking....it will dry, and swell about 15% in volume. it will dry nice and hard, providing an excellent seal. in the head gasket area, it will carbon up and stop small head gasket leaks. it is also a good trick for old radiator necks that just can't quite stop leaking hoses regardless of how tight the clamps are. it will usually do the trick in a 30-minute driving session.

Personally, I've had to use some on most of the vehicles i've owned once mileage got really high, and I coul'nt' stand coolant leaks. again. only use this stuff and in a very small amount.

So:

it will work
use only small amount as i stated above
only use this stuff...I have never seen anything else truly work like this.

Also, go to bar's leaks web site....they have pretty good info.
it is also a GM and chrysler and ford and mercedes part number if you want to spend big buck$ at the dealership.

-nuff said.
Thank you that was very helpful.
white-wall 235-75-r15's (my wife chose them)
bryes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2005, 09:24 AM   #6
canadianmudinus

i saw on the show myth busters where they tried to kill a Caddy V8.. they punched a hole in the rad and sealed it 100% by cracking an egg into the rad cap... Obviously an emergency only fix i would think but hey.... eggs are cheap
canadianmudinus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2005, 12:18 AM   #7
Xtreme 96 XJ

I thought Bars-Leak was ginger root & water soluble oil...... I've used it twice, once in a F-250 with a weeping water pump and this past summer on a trip in the XJ with the same problem. My dad always carried a large can of black peper.....he had to use it once when he and a antalope had an encounter up in Wyoming.

Curt (Xtreme 96 XJ)
Xtreme 96 XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.