Radiator Replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Radiator Replacement

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 03-19-2014, 05:56 PM   #1
antcg
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Radiator Replacement

Hello All

I am going to be changing out my radiator, hoses, t-stat, fan clutch. I know how to replace all of it however I have seen alot of debate on how to refill the lost coolant. And just out of curiosity whats the best way to get the A/T lines off without damaging them?

Do I absolutely have to burp the system? Or can I just refill the rad and crank the jeep and keep pouring it in until it cant take anymore and then just fill the reservoir and then let the air escape through the cap once the air builds up right there? And how much coolant am I going to need? I bought 2 gallons of prediluted Adv. Auto green stuff. I am going on an 88 mile trip right after doing the rad so I'd like to know that I did this correctly and then maybe have some extra coolant in the event it gets low some how.

antcg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2014, 07:09 PM   #2
94TwoDoor
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Fill at the radiator, fill the overflow tank to the fill line, run it for 10-15 minutes (watch temp), and then shut it down, let it settle, and check the level in the overflow tank. I usually don't have much air come out. Since you're changing so many components at once, be careful and keep an eye on temperature and fan operation, put a hand on the upper rad hose to see if it gets warm to prove the thermostat is opening.

Dry capacity is about 3 gallons of coolant, I never seem to get it all to drain from the block so 2 might be enough.

With the trans lines, a pipe-style box wrench would be handy, but I've always made do with an open end, just move them out of the way for clearance and try to get them up high so they don't leak too much out. They'll leak anyway.
94TwoDoor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2014, 07:20 PM   #3
landude
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Doesn't the lower trans line have that stupid *** clip connect?
landude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2014, 09:21 PM   #4
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by antcg View Post
... out of curiosity whats the best way to get the A/T lines off without damaging them?

Do I absolutely have to burp the system? .
The best way to remove the tranny cooler disconnect clips is with the tool available at an auto parts store for disconnects. The tool is cheap, or even loan-able. Doesn't use a wrench....don't use a wrench.

No you absolutely don't need to *burp* an open cooling system. It's open to the air with a pressure valve (the cap) to the overflow tank and burps itself during normal operation in four or five drive cycles. Do keep an eye on the overflow tank and top off as necessary for the first day or two of driving.

Spec for coolant is 12 qts. of 50/50 coolant and distilled water mix, including the overflow at mid line. I usually end with a quart of coolant left over.
Unread 03-19-2014, 11:00 PM   #5
antcg
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94TwoDoor View Post
Dry capacity is about 3 gallons of coolant, I never seem to get it all to drain from the block so 2 might be enough.
Well my water pump is already new so that will not be coming off. Just what's in the radiator upper and lower hose and tstat housing. I may just go and buy me another gallon of coolant just to be on the safe side.
Unread 03-19-2014, 11:13 PM   #6
xj2k1
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I would recommend getting the "rebuild" kits for the tranny discos. They're real cheap, maybe 5 bucks each from Jeep. A plastic clip and an o-ring. I had my '01 worked on once. They had to remove the cooling lines, and then replaced them without the rebuild kits. The next day, they blew out. I must have dumped a gallon of trans fluid just backing out of my parking space. The shop put in the rebuild kits and I never had another problem.
xj2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2014, 08:23 AM   #7
antcg
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Okay well I got the radiator changed out. I'm using a 1 row all aluminum radiator by silla and its working well. I also got a new fan clutch and fan shroud and it no longer overheard sitting in traffic. It never even reaches 220. The bottom trans cooler lin I ended up cutting and using a hose clamp to keep it on the radiator.
Unread 03-24-2014, 11:37 AM   #8
antcg
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Okay well I got the radiator changed out. I'm using a 1 row all aluminum radiator by silla and its working well. I also got a new fan clutch and fan shroud and it no longer overheard sitting in traffic. It never even reaches 220. The bottom trans cooler lin I ended up cutting and using a hose clamp to keep it on the radiator.

Tags
coolant , coolant flow , radiator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.