Radiator Issues HELP! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Radiator Issues HELP!

Save 17.76% for the 4th of july with ruffstuff specialtiesIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSave on AEM Intakes from XT!

Unread 06-10-2015, 10:41 AM   #1
glenzariczny
1997 XJ Cherokee 

'97 XJ Radiator leak

Hey guys got home from work last night, and noticed a bunch of coolant had leaked out, thougt it was from the over flow tank, but I went to put more coolant in to see what happened and it turns out there's a steady leak coming right from the drain plug on the radiator when I put coolant in it. Has the plug just gone bad, or do I potentially have a bigger issue? Thanks

glenzariczny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2015, 03:35 PM   #2
Tru2Chevy
Web Wheeler

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Only way to know for sure is to get your face down there and check it out. If you haven't touched the drain plug in a while and it has just now started leaking my first guess would be that the leak is actually a cracked side tank.

- Justin

1996 Cherokee Classic - 3.5" lift / 31.0x10.5 Mastercraft Courser CTs / Warn XD9000i - Stripped for parts / junked :(

2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo - 4.7, bone stock - Wife's DD

NJ F-Body Owners Association
Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2015, 08:18 PM   #3
Workman13
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I had a leak coming from that area but couldn't tell for sure where it was. It would randomly leak a small amount. It was never anything bad but i decided to replace the radiator and flush the system. I am very pleased so far. It would run a little over 210 before but stays right at 210 now and it got rid of my rough idle!
Workman13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2015, 05:14 PM   #4
glenzariczny
1997 XJ Cherokee 

It was definitely the petcock, as the end of it that goes into the radiator was sheered off. $3.49 at O'Reilly's and we were back in business, no leaks, Fired it up and got about 10 miles down the freeway and it started shooting coolant again. Opened the hood, and now the top radiator hose has a hole in it right where it connects to the water pump. I'm guessing these two issues are somehow related, and it's not just a coincedence. Some kind of Pressurazation issue?
Unread 06-11-2015, 05:58 PM   #5
glenzariczny
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Radiator Issues HELP!

So two days ago I get home from work and there is coolant pouring out of the petcock. I pull the thing out and sure enough it is broken, I breathed a sigh of relief as this was a $3.49 part and about a 10 minute fix. Got it all done and fired it up. No leaks coming out of there, so I think I'm good to go. Next time I take it out I get about 10 miles down the freeway, and I start seeing steam from under the engine. Pull over and open the hood, and the upper radiator hose has a crack in it right where it connects to the water pump, and there is steam and coolant spitting out of there. Now call me crazy, but I'm thinking that these two incidents are related to each other, and I have some sort of pressure issue going on with my radiator, possibly the cap? Any suggestions are appreciated, as I dont want to just simply replace the hose if it's just going to blow again. Thanks!
Unread 06-12-2015, 06:23 AM   #6
Tru2Chevy
Web Wheeler

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Glad to hear the radiator isn't cracked - cheap fixes are always a nice surprise.

Any idea when the last time the hoses were replaced? Radiator caps are cheap so you can replace yours, or at least have the old one tested to make sure it releases pressure at the set amount.

- Justin

1996 Cherokee Classic - 3.5" lift / 31.0x10.5 Mastercraft Courser CTs / Warn XD9000i - Stripped for parts / junked :(

2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo - 4.7, bone stock - Wife's DD

NJ F-Body Owners Association
Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2015, 06:51 AM   #7
glenzariczny
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Did the water pump last year, but I didn't replace the hoses at that time. I've had the Jeep about 5-6 years now so they may be pretty old
Unread 06-13-2015, 05:50 PM   #8
HwyPilot

We have the original hoses on 1 of 2 RHD XJ's. The originals are hard as a rock, but they don't leak, and the shop I'd trust with my own life tells me not to change them 'til they're bad - the originals are the best you're going to get. I agree at either having the cap pressure tested, or just tossing a new one on there. I use Stant Lev-R-Vent style, they cost a little more, but well worth it.
HwyPilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2015, 06:39 PM   #9
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Aren't you getting sick of cooling system related breakdowns yet?

Replace the hoses, toss in a new Tstat, belt, and rad cap so you don't have to wonder what's next.

If the radiator is in "good shape" despite the fact that the plastic components are starting to fail and you know the age of the waterpump, the only other outlier is the fan clutch.

It would seem that repeated fillings has brought fresh coolant into the loop, so why not spend a hundred bucks and get some peace of mind that it will be trouble free.

FWIW Advance Auto has a 20%off code until June 20th for online purchases above $100. Code: F51

Place order and make payment online while having a dump, put on your finest beater, drive to store, pick up parts, fill leaking coolant back up, drive home, put on your wrenchin' beater, drink 4-6 beer while making love to your cooling system.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.