radiator flush - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > radiator flush

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 01-10-2008, 11:53 AM   #1
shepdogwv

radiator flush

Hey all, I'm tryin to get the radiator flushed in my jeep today and I've found the radiator drain behind the light and the drain on the engine block, does anyone have any tips on getting these off? I was able to get the radiator drain out fairly far but decided that I didn't have enough time to do the whole thing so I stopped, but I'm at a loss on how to get the drain out of the engine block. Does anyone know what type of tool I need to get it out, or is it really a big deal if I get it out or not and just drain the radiator. Thanks for any help.

shepdogwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2008, 12:01 PM   #2
88XJSport
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Pull the lower radiator hose for faster easier radiator draining.
88XJSport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2008, 12:06 PM   #3
shepdogwv

Where is that and how do I tell if from all the other hoses haha.
Unread 01-10-2008, 12:08 PM   #4
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

It goes from the bottom of the radiator up so just un clamp it and let it POOR OUT

estimated time for removal - 30 seconds
Texsun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2008, 12:51 PM   #5
ehall
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Get a sawzall and cut part of the fiberglass out. Here are some pics from my 91.

and the piece of scrap that was removed

There are some wires back there that you need to watch out for but you should be able to find them all and hold them aside.

I drained mine three or four times when swapping thermostats and whatnot and the petcock is nice to use.
ehall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2008, 01:24 PM   #6
toates89
1989 XJ Cherokee 

you are supposed to take the plastic grill off(only a handfulof screws) then choose the correct tool
toates89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2008, 01:43 PM   #7
lifted92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

why cut up your jeep when you can pull the lower hose. if hes just flushing the radiator theres no need for all of that work

my jeep won the war, your honda mows my lawn
lifted92xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2008, 02:20 PM   #8
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted92xj
why cut up your jeep when you can pull the lower hose. if hes just flushing the radiator theres no need for all of that work
It depends on what kind of flush you want to do. If all you want to do is dump the old coolant, and put in new stuff, the rad hose removal works fine. It's messy, but it's fast.

On the other hand, if what you want to do is a "RUNNING FLUSH", then having the lower rad hose off won't cut it. A "running flush" is where you drain the coolant, refill with water/flushing agent, and then start then engine. Then, while the engine is running, you open the radiator drain AND add fresh water through the rad. spout so as to maintain a full cooling system. Keep this flowing (and the engine running) until the coolant comes out of the rad. drain clean and warm. Once you are there, you can be confident you cleaned out ALL the old coolant and crud.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2008, 03:00 PM   #9
nujeepguy
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I am so glad AZJEFF clarified this . i always think to myself what's the point of only pulling the lower rad hose when doing a full system flush. gotta run the full system in a constant cycle of continuous add and drain. well if you want a proper clean out anyways.
nujeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2008, 03:01 PM   #10
glatt513
1994 XJ Cherokee 

AZJeff you are right, that is the way to really clean the cooling system and get the crud out. However, I easily accomplished this without taking a sawzall to my rig. It is easy to get your left hand up in there and open the petcock. If it is stuck, just push on one side with a crescent wrench (you will never get a pliers up in there) to loosen it. Mine had not been flushed in many years (evident by the horrible hoo-hah that came out - almost like a colon blow! ) and it was still able to get the petcock loose pretty easy.
glatt513 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2008, 03:01 PM   #11
dirtdad
1996 ZJ 

radiator flush

Preston makes a flush kit. All you do is cut one of your hrater hoses, and clamp in a hose adapter that you can leave in permanently, to this adapter you hook up a garden hose, remove the radiator cap, start your engine, turn your heater to hot, turn on the garden hose, and fresh water is circulated thru the engine until you see clean water coming out of your radiator fill hole, works great, and you can do it whenever. Cheap too, around 8.00
dirtdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2008, 03:16 PM   #12
Rowingfish87
2002 TJ Wrangler 

How often are you supposed to change/flush your radiatior fluid?
Rowingfish87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2008, 03:18 PM   #13
lifted92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

every 50k unless it looks like crap from offroading and whatnot

my jeep won the war, your honda mows my lawn
lifted92xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2008, 03:24 PM   #14
1996xj
2005 WK 

If its really nasty looking i would try one of those flushing chemicals, I used it on a cherokee that had dexcool mixed. I used prestone flush and got the heater core unclogged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toates89
i am just gunna drive around in 4lo on dry streets, and peel out
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0H.O.XJ
I once got a ticket for jerking while driving it. The cop wouldnt let me use his pen to sign the ticket.
1996xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2008, 03:33 PM   #15
shepdogwv

alrighty fellas, I pulled the drain plug (while leaving the pressure cap in place) but it hasn't drained the fluid out of the reservoir bottle. How do I get that stuff out of there?

P.S. I'm running some prestone super flush through it and also using prestone extended life antifreeze? will these be ok?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.