Radiator fan constantly running - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Radiator fan constantly running

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 03-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
1998NWcherokee
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Radiator fan constantly running

Hello, I have a 1998 jeep cherokee 4.0L. Recently, it seems after I installed a RC 4.5" lift my radiator fan will run constantly only when the heater is on defrost. When it does that it is not letting the engine get up to operating temp. It will reach around 145-150 degrees.

When its not on defrost and is on another setting it works fine.

I have done a search and based on what I found I dont think it is the relay or coolant temp sensor. Could it be the control switch on the dash?

Thanks!

1998NWcherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
4x4MOPAR

This is completely normal. Your defrost is tied into your AC (Your AC kicks on whenever defrost is selected). Your AC evaporator removes humidity from the air making the defrost function more effective. Your fan kicks on to draw air through the condenser mounted on the front of your radiator. It runs to help condense the high pressure high temp vapor into a high pressure high temp liquid to feed the metering device in your AC system.
Unread 03-24-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I'd bet your t-stat is missing or is stuck open. If the stat is there and functioning correctly, actual coolant temp should be well above 145 even with the efan running.
Unread 03-24-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998NWcherokee View Post
....I have done a search and based on what I found I don't think it is the relay or coolant temp sensor.
Why not ?

Did you test the relay, coolant temp sensor, and thermostat for correct function ? What were the test results ?

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.