Radiator Drain Plug - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Radiator Drain Plug

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 11-14-2006, 10:30 AM   #1
StokedXJ11
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Radiator Drain Plug

Where is it at? I must be blind b/c i am having the hardest time locating it...

RJC #377
StokedXJ11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2006, 10:46 AM   #2
Ivanito
1996 ZJ 

I believe it is on the passanger side, on the side of the radiator. If you are trying to do a coolant flush, you would be better just to undo the lower radiator hose. It is much easier.
Ivanito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2006, 10:48 AM   #3
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

The 97+ drain plug is located behind the right front parking light, below the headlight. It's a BIOTCH to get to it, even after removing the headlight bezel and the parking light.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2006, 11:20 AM   #4
MontyTJ02
2008 JK Wrangler 

Just pull the lower rad hose. The drain is really far up there and a PITA to get to.
FireFighter's Jeep Club #84

I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Im getting tired of thinking...guess I'll do some wishful drinking.
MontyTJ02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2006, 11:29 AM   #5
Ivanito
1996 ZJ 

I have no idea what I was thinking when I posted the location.
Ivanito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2006, 11:42 AM   #6
conrasm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

It is much easier to undo the lower rad hose. The drain is almost impossible to get too. You'll spend more time getting to it by removing things.
'07 Ram 1500 quad cab
Heritage Region Jeep Alliance
conrasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2006, 12:27 PM   #7
StokedXJ11
1997 XJ Cherokee 

The thing is i am going to run Heavy Duty Radiator Cleaner through it all. I am suppose to run it in the coolant system for 30 minutes. Then when i go to drain all the gunk and nastiness out, i want to make sure i get it all and the cleanest way possible. If have this little splicing gizmo that is spliced into one of my heater lines. I want to hookup a water hose to it, then drain it all out when i do and completely run clean water through the whole system, how do i go about doing this? If i pull the lower radiator hose off the radiator i can't turn the engine on to have the water pump pump it all through? what do yal suggest?

P.S.
Oh yeah, i have to run this cleaner through b/c i am having a serious rust in my coolant problem that i can't get rid of.
RJC #377
Unread 11-14-2006, 08:04 PM   #8
StokedXJ11
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Bump, Anybody have any suggestions?
RJC #377
Unread 11-14-2006, 08:51 PM   #9
Jeepwheeler2

in cases like this, I pull a heater hose off the heater core and use an old piece of cut off garden hose (the hose is hooked to a faucet on one end and cut the fitting off the other so it slides over the heater core nipple)I attach the garden hose over the heater core nipple where you just removed the heater hose, and run the engine and the garden hose until the water coming out the removed heater hose runs clear. I have had to run water through some vehicles for over an hour to get them clean. Only use this method after draining as much coolant from the system and refilling it with just water. This way you do not pollte the ground with antifreeze. Make sure you keep an eye on engine temps so you don't overheat. I prefer this method to using chemicals because you won't remove so much scale that you clog the radiator or heater core, or create a leak.
Jeepwheeler2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2006, 10:44 PM   #10
BS87
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm planning on just removing the lower rad hose if i can't easily get at the drain, and then when it's empty just spraying the into the bottom of the rad with a garden hose.
BS87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2006, 10:00 AM   #11
StokedXJ11
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry for the length,

Little bit of background info... When i first bought the Jeep last year the coolant and whatever else was completely neglected. The water pump's blades were rusted so that there none left, I have had 2 freeze plugs rust out and the first resulted in me blowing a head gasket and warping the head. So needless to say ive got a dirty coolant problem that needs to be fixed...

I have pretty much done what was previously said, but i fabbed PVC fittings to "plug" into the top of the radiator where the cap goes and had a garden hose attached to it. I then pump water through the engine(with it on) untill it was clear and clear for about 15 minutes straight. Obviously this method didn't get all the soot and gunk at the bottum of the radiator. I have done this twice and my rust problem comes back all thick and nasty after like 2 weeks or so even when ive run FLUSH through it. That is why i am using this heavy duty radiator cleaner, which is basically just HCL.

I just want to get it straight in my head.... I am suppose to undo the from the bottum of the radiator from the radiator and let it dangle. Then with that little fitting that is spliced into my heater hose i attach the garden hose and turn the water on and the engine on? Will all the coolant still flow everywhere and the right way when there is a unplugged opening on the bottom of the radiator and then the hose that is dangling? I am just a bit confused, b/c i don't know if that way will allow the water pump to pump the water everywhere so that everything is all flushed out....

I just want to make sure i get everything flushed and cleaned. Thanks for your patience and help...
RJC #377

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.