Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Radial play in rear slip yoke

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  kstopp 
#1 ·
I'm trying to fix a vibration and in the process I have temporarily removed my front driveshaft and replaced the rear u-joints with Spicer 5-1310X sealed joints.

While checking the run out of the rear driveshaft I noticed that there is 0.015" of radial movement at the rear transfer case slip yoke. I have recently replaced the rear output bearing, bronze bushing and seal in the extension housing of the NP242 trying to eliminate this play.

Measurement location

I believe this play is in the splines of either the transfer case mainshaft or the driveshaft yoke. Are these pieces commonly replaced together, similar to roller chain and sprockets being replaced together?

See less See more
#2 ·
Have you had the rear driveshaft checked/balanced by a drive-line shop ? Remove the driveshaft and check the runout of the T-case output shaft. Since the drive shaft yoke is the cheaper part, I would consider replacing it.

#3 ·
Hi Tim,

No I didn't have a shop check the balance of the driveshaft because I figured the spline play would throw it off.

I think I can find an equivalent part for the NP242 driveshaft slip yoke, it is sold as a replacement for the XJ that uses the NP231 but the measurements appear to be the same.

http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p559_dana_spicer_2_3_12411x_slip_yoke_fits_jeep_np231_transfer_ca.html

I haven't had any luck finding a replacement NP242 mainshaft even if I wanted to replace it. There are only 94+ shafts available.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.