quite illegal but... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > quite illegal but...

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 06-01-2006, 09:29 PM   #1
96xjscottc

quite illegal but...

How would my jeep sound if i put a magnaflow cat in it....THEN just straight pipe back. Too loud or just bad, noise might be a problem in my town if so.
i want a mean sound.

96xjscottc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2006, 09:36 PM   #2
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Meh, a high flow cat and a flowmaster or magnaflow muffler would sound a little better IMO. Tunes the sound a bit more.

If you really want to do it, keep it staight 2 1/4" all the way back by just replacing the muffler with a test pipe. The pipe would need to snake around some to get it to line up right. That might cost as much as a Flowmaster with some shops.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2006, 09:38 PM   #3
96xjscottc

i have the tools and such just keep the stock tailpipe... put a straight pipe where the muffler should be. With the new cat also.
96xjscottc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2006, 10:05 PM   #4
tweekedknee

I think what theyre saying is the pipe would have to be custom made, take a a look at your muffler the output on it is offset
3" rustys full pack, Rock Krawler tracbar, 31x10.5 Kumho kl71, CIK, dynomax super turbo muffler, IPF h4 conversions, silverstar bulbs, hella 530 fogs, olympic 4x4 rock front bumper, tcase drop, bush hacker flares, OEM tow hook brackets with GM hooks
tweekedknee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2006, 11:06 PM   #5
XJ4oh
1997 XJ Cherokee 

It cost me 40 bucks for an exhaust shop to cut my muffler out, and bend a new peice of pipe to fit from the cat to the rest of the tailpipe where the muffler used to be. It sounded crazy. It was loud, but I never got any crap about it being too loud. It sounded insane under wide open throttle.
Baja Aux. Lighting.
Green Jeep Club #185, Nowhere to Wheel Jeep Club member #1
'04 WJ - Columbia Edition - 4.7HO 2WD
XJ4oh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2006, 11:19 PM   #6
white98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

it would actually sound like **** in my opinoin, the muffler is what makes the tone and stuff that you are looking for... but if u dont want it to sound very good, go ahead and do it, it is ur jeep after all.....
Unread 06-01-2006, 11:29 PM   #7
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'm running nothing after the cat. I have a Catco high flow cat and a Gibson header. Supposedly the Gibsons have the tamest sound. It sounds pretty burley at idle. It sounds loud at anything more than 1/3 throttle. I really like the way it sounds. It is pretty raw sounding though. Scares the hell out of the ricers when you get them coming away from a stoplight. I'm a little easy on the throttle when LE are around, but they don't seem to mind. Tuned Super Duties are a lot louder than my rig is.
Unread 06-02-2006, 07:22 AM   #8
homerscj7

I'll sound like worse then a ricer fart-pipe and you won't have adequate backpressure to the motor causing a loss of low end torque
Unread 06-02-2006, 09:33 AM   #9
Tweeternpi
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have no Cat or muffler and it sounds like crap. After I take care of a few things I am putting a hole system on to make it sound good. Also have lost alot of lowend running this way.

New 2003 Green Tj Rubicon. 4 Inch lift 305/70/16 MTR's Milemarker 8000 winch.

OLD 92 Cherokee Larado. Red and Grey. 7" lift, trim fenders Long arm 4:10 gears with lockers and 35/12.50/15 Toyo AT. So to be parted out to the wifes YJ.
Tweeternpi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2006, 12:07 PM   #10
Rescue XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

dont most systems have a hole at the end?
4L HO Command track Dana 30 front Chrysler 8.25 rear CarQuest XD shocks, Federal Signal emergency stuff, MCX 1000 DES-XL, TK-940, Astro Spectra W3 encrypted, Magnaflow 18" body, Medical supplies, MREs, Gatoraid, Shovel, MagLite, body armor, grappling hook, annoying squeeking sound from my door, otherwise stock for now.
White Jeep Club Member #911
Code 3 Jeep Club Member #1
Eagle Scout Jeep Club Member #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx50cj3a
Vatozone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 Briarwood
I think "that look" is what they teach the chicks in 6th grade when they show them "that film" behind closed doors.
Rescue XJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2006, 12:51 PM   #11
Tjs88xj

My buddy just took his whole exhaust off, before he blew a heads gasket, sounded good at idle, but sounded like crap when he started driving.
Unread 06-02-2006, 05:04 PM   #12
krAscH n' BurN

sound like crap to many pops and backfires....BUT....flowmaster with out a cat sounds pretty good
95' xj white, 5-sp, dana 30-35, 4 1/2"RC lift, 15x8 black rock krawlers, 31" BFG AT ko, minor trimmed and coated, intake, T-B spacer, chip, flowmaster(no cat), Banks Headers, 2.5" pipe, H4 conversion, ...alpine head, Alpine typeR 5 1/4,
krAscH n' BurN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2006, 05:19 PM   #13
white98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

if ur gonna get rid of anything, get the cat cut out and add a flowmaster....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.