Quick Compression Check Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Quick Compression Check Question

Save 15% in XT's Pre-Black Friday Event!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-08-2009, 11:18 AM   #1
sterfry2004
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quick Compression Check Question

I am putting a new head on a 1997 4.0L Jeep. I was told I should do a compression check to make sure that all of the pistons and block are still OK since I'm pretty inexperienced. How much do I HAVE to put back in to do this test? Do the push rods, rocker cover, manifolds, serp belt, etc. need to be completely reinstalled?

Unread 10-08-2009, 11:30 AM   #2
justanotherjpr

Push rods, rocker arms, head should be sufficent. No need for intake/exhaust manifold or serpentine belt or any accessories except the starter, which I don't see being removed for a head job anyway. I would set the valve cover on top of the head with a bolt or two - just to keep the valve train from flinging oil everywhere. You would have to properly install the head for your compression check to be accurate. You might be able to do this using the old gasket if it is not destroyed.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2009, 11:30 AM   #3
Wiskey
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Push rods, valves, and starter have to be in for sure,.. I would put the valve cover on, because if you don't oil will go everywhere.

You can leave the manifolds, and serp belt off.

Whiskey
Wiskey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
sterfry2004
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the tips guys. Guess I'll find out how good of a mechanic I am tonight! Crossing my fingers...
Unread 10-09-2009, 02:34 AM   #5
Wiskey
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Here's to good luck for you!

How did it go?

Whiskey
Unread 10-09-2009, 10:23 AM   #6
sterfry2004
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Well, I didn't get it done last night because I ran into some mystery components in the head gasket set. I don't remember taking any of these things off... Any idea what they are??
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jminter...7622363505147/

Last edited by sterfry2004; 10-09-2009 at 12:50 PM..
sterfry2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #7
sterfry2004
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Oops, pictures didn't work the first time!
Unread 10-09-2009, 08:33 PM   #8
Wiskey
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Was there just one of each of those? Or multiples?

Whiskey
Unread 10-09-2009, 11:17 PM   #9
sterfry2004
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiskey View Post
Was there just one of each of those? Or multiples?

Whiskey
Number of each item from pictures:
1 - 5 hole gasket - I was able to figure out from a catalog that this was an EGR valve gasket.
1 - 3 hole gasket (Maybe for the EGR again?)
12 - small cylinder thing with coil

Compression Test results:
Every cylinder was above 150, except for cylinder 3, which held at about 90 psi. I heard that you should add oil through the sparkplug hole and retest, but I didn't have time to try that tonight. What would cause bad compression on only one cylinder?
Unread 10-10-2009, 02:32 AM   #10
Wiskey
1991 XJ Cherokee 

The 12 small cyinder thing with the holes are very likely valve guide gaskets,.. if you took the valve spring off, and removed the valve, you could pop this off and replace it.

If your not burning oil when you start the motor after sitting for a day or two,.. and especially if you already have the head back on, I wouldn't worry about it.

Ummm,.. something's wrong. The cylinders should be within 10-15% of each other,.. so either the gasket is not seated right on cylinder 3, or the head is cracked/warped,.. or the block is damaged like my cylinder #3 was. Was there any visible scoring on the cylinder wall? Was there any damage to the piston? Did the valves seat properly? Did you give it a chance to pump the valve lifters up, did you give them a chance to bleed down? Was the compression gauge in securely? What is the history on this head?

Try it again tomorrow without the oil,.. then try your oil idea and report back,.. if the compression goes way up with the oil then we know it's low for a ring related issue,.. if it stays the same we know it's top end some where (Valve, head gasket, head)

Sorry it didn't come out perfect first try,.. but I'm sure you can get it worked out
Whiskey
Unread 10-10-2009, 02:33 AM   #11
Wiskey
1991 XJ Cherokee 

BTW,.. here is a picture of Cyl# 3 on my jeep,.. This is badly scored, and you can see the piston is damaged,..

Whiskey
Unread 10-12-2009, 07:01 PM   #12
sterfry2004
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiskey View Post
Ummm,.. something's wrong. The cylinders should be within 10-15% of each other,.. so either the gasket is not seated right on cylinder 3, or the head is cracked/warped,.. or the block is damaged like my cylinder #3 was. Was there any visible scoring on the cylinder wall? Was there any damage to the piston? Did the valves seat properly? Did you give it a chance to pump the valve lifters up, did you give them a chance to bleed down? Was the compression gauge in securely? What is the history on this head?

Try it again tomorrow without the oil,.. then try your oil idea and report back,.. if the compression goes way up with the oil then we know it's low for a ring related issue,.. if it stays the same we know it's top end some where (Valve, head gasket, head)

Sorry it didn't come out perfect first try,.. but I'm sure you can get it worked out
Whiskey
The head is brand new and came with the valves already seated. I didn't see any scoring on the cylinder wall, but that doesn't mean there wasn't any. The compression gauge was in pretty snug, and I did the test a couple times to be sure of that.

On the dry test, cylinder three compressed to about 100 psi, so a little better than the 90 before. After I added the oil, the compression shot up over 300 psi... I don't have time tonight, but I'll be taking the head off and taking a look at that cylinder. Is it safe to assume that the piston will need to be removed? From what I understand, the culprit is probably the rings, a damaged cylinder wall, or damaged piston. I'm guess rings since I didn't see any damage before I replaced the head. Thanks for all your help through this!!
Unread 10-13-2009, 01:11 AM   #13
Wiskey
1991 XJ Cherokee 

It jumped from 90, to 300 with the oil?

How much oil did you put in? It's only supposed to be a very small amount, measured in drops,.. putting a couple ounces in for example would really throw off the test because air compresses, and oil does not.

I ask this question because that is a Huge jump,.. Adding a little oil usually makes a cylinder with bad rings about match the others,.. the fact that it doubled the other cylinders makes me wonder

Whiskey
Unread 10-13-2009, 09:12 AM   #14
justanotherjpr

Definitely - how much oil did you put into that cylinder? Best to pull the gauge or spark plug and crank it a few times to clear it, then add a few drops and try it again. You can run on 90psi, it just won't run as well as it could.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2009, 09:11 PM   #15
sterfry2004
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, I figured I must have done something wrong. I'll clear it and try it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherjpr View Post
You can run on 90psi, it just won't run as well as it could.
If one cylinder is running on 90, is that bad for the engine? If the repair will need to be done eventually, I might as well do it now, but if it's not a huge deal, I'm not opposed to just leaving it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.