Questions About 1998 Cherokee 2wd Transmission - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Questions About 1998 Cherokee 2wd Transmission

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 02-24-2014, 05:05 PM   #1
antcg
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Questions About 1998 Cherokee 2wd Transmission

Okay so this is the last thing I'd like to find out about my 1998 Jeep Cherokee 2wd Auto

My first question is about the shifter itself. The button does absolutely nothing as I can shift without having my foot on the brake and without pressing the button. I'm not sure what cause that but i am curious if this has happened to anyone else? The second thing about my shifter is that I cannot shift down into the 1/2 gear at the bottom. I think maybe these two problems are related. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

The second thing is about the transmission itself. when I bought the car I checked the fluid while it was idling in park. The fluid is back and kind of soupy in consistency, it didn't smell burnt however and it was just above the low mark, maybe a quarter of an inch or so. It does not slip and seems to be in pretty good overall condition. The car has 173k miles and the PO did not have any maintenance records so I seriously doubt that the transmission has ever been serviced in any way. The only thing that it does is when you put it into gear it will jump a little and it does the same when it shifts but only after the car has been running a while. I was told by a guy at Pep Boys told me it was black because of metal shavings and a guy at aamco told me it would be because of the clutches wearing out more so than the gears grinding and causing the metal shavings.

My question is, should I try changing the fluid and filter? Or should I maybe drain the pan and drop to see how it looks in there and if theres any metal shavings in the pan or oil and maybe change the filter and gasket and go from there? Or should I just try and top it off to the full mark with some clean atf? I've been told by countless people that when they changed their trans fluid the transmission took a turn for the worst and it was nothing but down hill for the tranny. This car being my dd I'd like that not to happen.

Thanks!

antcg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2014, 07:11 PM   #2
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I would change it not flush it. I would do this a few times til it stays clean. There is a drain plug so use it. On the third time drop the pan, clean it out and replace the filter/screen. This is better than leaving all that crap in there.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2014, 08:52 PM   #3
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I'm not too sure about the shifter problem. You may want to pop off the plastic bezel and see what is going on. You can also pull off the top T-handle on the shifter. Just be careful not to hit yourself in the face (ask me how I know), and check to see if the button is broken.

As for the transmission:

1. If it is low on fluid right now, DO NOT drive it until the fluid is at the correct level. Running the transmission low on fluid will do damage. Why is it low? Are there any leaks? I'd have a look to make sure.

2. Don't take the advice of people from Pep Boys and Aamco. Pep boys usually just hires minimum wage kids who don't have a clue, and Aamco is in the business to sell you a new transmission. The AW4 is a very strong transmission, some say as bullet proof as the 4.0 engine. I've seen them run out of fluid, and when filled back up they still work fine.

3. Since your transmission is working fine, it is definitely worth servicing. Those who said not to change the fluid had other problems not related to the fluid. Fluid is the life blood of the transmission, and should be changed every 30,000 miles. Transmissions get hot, and this degrades the fluid condition, which can have a negative impact on transmission life and performance.

4. As posted above, do not do a flush... power flushes are what can hurt a high mileage transmission. Just do a couple drain and fills using the drain plug. Buy Dex/Merc III compatible fluid ONLY. I have used Autozone Dex/Merc in a few AW4 transmissions with good results. Each time you do a drain using the drain bolt, about 3-4 quarts will come out. Replace with 3-4 quarts of new fluid, drive the jeep around the block, and repeat this process until the fluid is clean. Do all of this again in 30,000 miles.

It is also a good idea to add a transmission cooler.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2014, 11:22 AM   #4
antcg
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I don't believe there are any leaks as of now. It has all new fluids across the board other than the transmission. Surprisingly it leaks very little oil and other liquids other than coolant which I plan on overhauling my cooling system in the near future.

I will try draining some of it and filling it with some new up to the full mark and repeat a few times and then replace the filter and gasket and such.

Do I just need to fill it through the dipstick tube?
antcg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2014, 12:42 PM   #5
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yes Dexron/Mercon fluid NOT Dexron 4

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
atf , tranny , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.