Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Question from a very NON-gearhead

1K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  Scootr 
#1 ·
My girlfriend has a 98 XJ, I have a 02 TJ, we both have inline 6's but hers seems to have WAY more power and be faster than mine on the open road. we have never taken hers offroad, so I dont know how the performance would differ, but I am wondering why the difference?

Did they change the build of the I6 (is that possible, like I said im no gear head)from 98 to 02? and if so, would there be such a difference in performance?

Thanks a bunch!

#2 ·
They changed some of the emissions stuff but tried to balance that out in the newer 4.0 with the different intake. I would think that wheel and tire combo could make a difference if you are running the same gearing but larger tires.

#3 ·
I know some one with an 04' TJ and he's not happy with the power either. Another thing, when the in-laws came down they rented a TJ. I got to drive it and it did feel like it was de-tuned or something.(Maybe cause it was a rental?)... :confused:

#4 ·
I drove a friends new TJ the other day and I seemed really sluggish compared to my XJ. I have no clue why, I would guess gearing, or aerodynamics, but when it comes to basic get up and go aerodynamics have little to do with it.

I guess it is just because the XJ rules!!! :thumbsup: :rofl:

#10 ·
On my 98 it is a bit more solid, but by no means a tank. I love my brother's 93, I put an audiobahn flame Q sub, and an 850watt amp in for him, and when it hits you can see the roof move up and down by about 1.5in.

#12 ·
SE - 3268 lbs
X - 3453 lbs
Sport - 3493 lbs
Unlimted - 3445 lbs
Sahara - 3629 lbs
Rubicon - 3776 lbs

Cherokee 4wd is about 3400
cherokee 2wd is i believe 2800

#13 ·
I did a google search for it and everything I was reading was putting the TJs up over 4000. I guess you can't trust everything you find on the net :brickwall

#15 ·
could be just that the aw4 is much more effecient in the torque converter category. It might not suck as much horsepower out as the wrangler tranny does. Also this guys tire size might be different... and the cherokee is bone stock, which means it could have the little 215's :)

#17 ·
the Tj is about 4500 lbs, and the XJ is about 3028? I think. I know this for a fact because my girl has an 02 TJ and I looked in her manual. The main reason the TJ is so much more is beause of its body-on-frame design. They have a square tubing frame, which in itself, is very heavy. On the other had, the XJ is a unibody (as we all know), which elimnates alot of weight. I don't know where wipedawg got his info, but if you don't believe me, check the Jeep website http://www-5.jeep.com/vehiclecompar...9000600/appId/Compare/UpdateCompareMatrix.jam

#18 ·
Sir Fuzzitoes said:
the Tj is about 4500 lbs, and the XJ is about 3028? I think. I know this for a fact because my girl has an 02 TJ and I looked in her manual. The main reason the TJ is so much more is beause of its body-on-frame design. They have a square tubing frame, which in itself, is very heavy. On the other had, the XJ is a unibody (as we all know), which elimnates alot of weight. I don't know where wipedawg got his info, but if you don't believe me, check the Jeep website http://www-5.jeep.com/vehiclecompar...9000600/appId/Compare/UpdateCompareMatrix.jam
Wipedawg got his info from www.jeep.com. Gearing may be different between a TJ and XJ.

Or, the butt dyno could just need some adjustments. ;)

www.jeep.com said:
Model SE X SPORT UNLIMITED SAHARA RUBICON
Optional Package A N X D E G U
Base Curb Weight - with Automatic Transmission [lb] 3268 3268 3453 3493 3445 3629 3776
Base Curb Weight - with Manual Transmission [lb] 3231 3231 3418 3457 - 3593 3740
:rolleyes:

#19 ·
98XJVT said:
I think that bone stock they still came with 225's, at least my 98 did and my dads 00 did too.
Yeah, my 97 came stock with 215s. Stupid base level trucks such as mine came stock that way. However, going up to 30s severely slowed it down. It's possible the large tires have something to do with it. Beyond that, transmission and gearing differences I'm sure are different.....

#20 ·
As a former owner of an 02 TJ I can say it was a bit sluggish. I tried everything (other than gears) to squeeze out more power,nothing seemed to work. I do miss her but now looking for a used XJ for the winter months. I cuurrently have an 03 Mustang GT Centennial Edition convertible. I shutter to think of driving her in the snow and salt. So hopefully I'll have an XJ very soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.