Question About Tire Size - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Question About Tire Size

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDThe NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.com

Unread 06-18-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
ElstonGunn

Question About Tire Size

Hello folks,

I have been lurking for a few years and I finally pulled the trigger on an XJ after wanting one since I was a little kid. I came across and excellent deal on some American Racing Outlaw II wheels, so I picked them up on craigslist. As the XJ sits, it is 100% stock. I am trying to decide on what tire size I should go for.

The wheels have 3.75" backspacing. Will they rub if I run a 235/75/15? If so, will I be alright with a 225/75/15? I am kind of on a tight budget as I am heading back to school, so I would like to get this right the first time and not have to worry about a lift.

FWIW, my rear suspension is at 17.5" and my front is 17.75". Thanks for any help.

ElstonGunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
Bam-Bam
2000 WJ 

I think your ok, I had 235/75/15s on my stock XJ and never had an issue
Unread 06-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
Nick05
1987 MJ Comanche 

yes, 235's should be fine. i have a 95 that is stock other then the 235's and it goes just fine. post some picks when you get a bit, we love pics around here
Nick05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

They're going to stick out a decent bit past the flares on that backspacing. You shouldn't rub anything at all unless the suspension is sagged bad. 235/75 isn't stock but it may as well be. Looks like it goes on an XJ a lot better than a 215.

Find out the full size though. Wheels may be too wide for a 235. The backspacing will be great for a wider tire down the road if you want to lift it and such later.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #5
ElstonGunn

They are 15x8s so I should be alright with a 235. Thanks for the input, folks.
ElstonGunn is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.