Question about putting my Cherokee on a 2 post lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Question about putting my Cherokee on a 2 post lift

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 10-05-2005, 03:24 PM   #1
cherokee_sport

Question about putting my Cherokee on a 2 post lift

Hey guys. Tomorrow i'm going to be putting my 93 Cherokee Sport on a 2 post lift in my auto body class. My teacher is going to be out so I cant ask him. So my question is where do i put the pads to lift the car? I thought that putting them under the frame and lifting it from the frame was the way to go but someone was telling me today that it isnt the right way. So i need to know where to put the pads under my car to safely lift it. Thanks for any help, Rob.

cherokee_sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2005, 03:36 PM   #2
trailblaze
2004 WJ 

i am pretty sure it's ok to put the pads right behind the LCA'S on the "frame" rail, and just infront of the bushings for the rear leafs on the "frame rail", seen a lot of people do it. but doesn't mean it's safe
Unread 10-05-2005, 04:16 PM   #3
theirishavenger

Yup, when I get a Cherokee in the shop that's the way I do them. Makes for a narrow spread on the lift arms, and can be a bit eyebrow raising, but I've never had a problem. Just make sure you rock it good after you get it off the ground a couple inches to make sure it's stable.

Irish
theirishavenger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2005, 04:27 PM   #4
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Check the owners manual or a service manual for the jacking points front and rear.
Unread 10-05-2005, 06:37 PM   #5
cherokee_sport

Thanks for the help guys. I checked the owners book but they only gave instructions for jacking it up and they tell you to jack it up under the axle, which is not the way to do it with the lift. I'll just put the pads on the frame right in back of the front leaf springs and in front of the rear leaf springs. The only thing that makes me think twice is that when you knock on the frame, it doesnt seem all that strong. I know that in reality it is very strong but it just makes me think twice before putting my baby up there. Thanks for the help, Rob
cherokee_sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2005, 08:46 PM   #6
n20jeep
Web Wheeler
1993 XJ Cherokee 

under the frame rails is safe.......

on a cherokee you can spread the arms out pretty far so its pretty stable....its those damn TJ's,YJ's, and CJ's that are eyebrow raising when put on a lift.....the arms on the lift are very close together

but almost all of our cars that come into the shop are jeeps...and weve never had a problem lifting from the fraim rails.....just spread the arms out as much as possible and youll be good
n20jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.