Question about CV Driveshaft or Make my own - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Question about CV Driveshaft or Make my own

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!ExtremeTerrain.com Now Carries Raxiom Off-Road Technology RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 01-11-2009, 09:44 AM   #1
Hella
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Question about CV Driveshaft or Make my own

Okay simple question is it better to buy the CV driveshaft or can I use the front xj one with the spicer part to use with the SYE ill most likely have to get?

Hella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2009, 09:56 AM   #2
crumb
1999 XJ Cherokee 

what are the details of your cherokee?
crumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2009, 10:58 AM   #3
Hella
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Stock 2000, I6, Auto, NP242 and about to purchase a RE 4.5 SF kit with 31x10.50 tires and im sure i will need a sye but i will have to wait for more money and looking for a cheaper route than a new shaft.
Unread 01-11-2009, 11:03 AM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Better is not the point. The whole idea is that the stock front drive shaft works perfectly and is cheap. Another benefit is that you only have to carry one spare driveshaft to fit front or rear. The used one may need new u-joints and a new centering ball or you might get lucky and find a good one with low miles.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

Last edited by CJ7-Tim; 01-11-2009 at 11:16 AM..
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2009, 11:18 AM   #5
99Greenmachine
1999 XJ Cherokee 

How do you know if you need new U-joints and/or a new centering ball? Is there a test/inspection process?

Thank You Hooligan!!!

[SIZE="4"]XJ Dana 44, Yukon 4.56 D44 Gears, LeBaron hood vents for sale
99Greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2009, 11:36 AM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

You can check the u-joints to see if they are too tight or too loose. The centering ball makes a squeaking/chirping noise when it goes out. I always put new u-joints in junkyard drive shafts, that way you are sure they are good.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2009, 11:46 AM   #7
rob92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I have about 20000 miles on my front shaft being used in the rear and have no problems at all. Installed new U-joints the shaft came out of a 99 XJ and the centering joint was good.
rob92xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2009, 12:23 PM   #8
Hella
2004 TJ Wrangler 

so for my situation it would be a good idea to head up to a junkyard and pull a front driveshaft off of an xj and use that? Also all the XJ's with the D35 used the same driveshaft?
Unread 01-11-2009, 12:49 PM   #9
RockRodHooligan
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Greenmachine View Post
How do you know if you need new U-joints and/or a new centering ball? Is there a test/inspection process?
With the NP242, isn't your only option for a SYE a Hack-n-tap? If thats the case, isn't the RE HnT(flange type) your only option(though I have heard Tom Woods has a yoke type HnT, but can't find it on the web site)? In the case of the RE kit, you have to get a flange adapter from Spicer(part # 211229x), that requires removing both cardan u-joints, and comes with a new centering ball. I replaced all the u-joints while building mine, since 2 of the 3 u-joints were out already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hella View Post
so for my situation it would be a good idea to head up to a junkyard and pull a front driveshaft off of an xj and use that? Also all the XJ's with the D35 used the same driveshaft?
89 and up automatic XJ's have the drive shaft you probably want, although I have fount that MJ's(Comanche) had a slightly longer shaft(about an inch).

Project: Silverback Ash to ash, dust to dust... Skin to bone, steel to rust... You will be missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post
Cleanly done bob jobs are so cool.
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2009, 01:42 PM   #10
Hella
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I was planning the Re HnT but I didnt want to have to get a whole new driveshaft built cause that gets expensive. I found the option of getting a xj front and getting that part from spicers.

So im most likely going to pick up a RE HnT, XJ Front Shaft, and a Spicer Part and use that as my SYE.
Unread 01-11-2009, 02:11 PM   #11
rob92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Tom Woods has/had a SYE for the NP 242 but when I went to order mine they were out of stock and was told they didn't know when to expect them as people were not sending there old mainshafts back to them. I did install one on a friends ZJ and it was like any normal SYE.

I ended up with a RE hack and tap with the Spicer flange part number 211229x and a front XJ shaft I have not had any problem yet and it has been installed since 07
rob92xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2009, 03:51 PM   #12
RockRodHooligan
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hella View Post
I was planning the Re HnT but I didnt want to have to get a whole new driveshaft built cause that gets expensive. I found the option of getting a xj front and getting that part from spicers.

So im most likely going to pick up a RE HnT, XJ Front Shaft, and a Spicer Part and use that as my SYE.
Best price if found for the flange adaptor hands down!
http://www.alljeep.com/oscommerce/ad..._description=1

When I rebuilt mine I think I spent $100 on the shaft all said and done, $10 JY shaft, $45 flange adaptor, $45 3 new u-joints

Project: Silverback Ash to ash, dust to dust... Skin to bone, steel to rust... You will be missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post
Cleanly done bob jobs are so cool.
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.