Quality heater core recommendation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Quality heater core recommendation

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 10-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
jhickman1
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quality heater core recommendation

Got a leaking heater core in my 99. I only want to do this once and I've read mostly lousy reviews for aftermarket heater cores. Anyone know of a good source for a quality aftermarket heater core?

jhickman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

The best one would be from Chrysler. Unfortunately, it's kinda pricey ($300+).

The first one I got for my 2000 (an Omix-ada) fit horribly. I returned that and got a pretty good fitting one from Napa.

RockAuto lists ones from "Vista-Pro" and "Pro-Part". Who they are, I do not know. When all else fails, you can use the old adage of "you get what you pay for" and the Vista-Pro is the most expensive of that bunch. I trust most stuff from RockAuto.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
jhickman1
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Jeff View Post
The best one would be from Chrysler. Unfortunately, it's kinda pricey ($300+).

The first one I got for my 2000 (an Omix-ada) fit horribly. I returned that and got a pretty good fitting one from Napa.

RockAuto lists ones from "Vista-Pro" and "Pro-Part". Who they are, I do not know. When all else fails, you can use the old adage of "you get what you pay for" and the Vista-Pro is the most expensive of that bunch. I trust most stuff from RockAuto.
Thanks for the input. I kinda feel the same way about Rock Auto stuff. I'll also check out NAPA Auto.
Unread 10-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
tamnoz
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Heater Core

I specialize in auto HVAC and would never install an OEM Chrysler Product heater core or evap core in anything unless you don't like yourself. Chrysler's have a higher failure rate than any other brand. Spectra Premium or Vista Pro are both decent brands.
Jim
tamnoz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
jhickman1
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamnoz View Post
I specialize in auto HVAC and would never install an OEM Chrysler Product heater core or evap core in anything unless you don't like yourself. Chrysler's have a higher failure rate than any other brand. Spectra Premium or Vista Pro are both decent brands.
Jim
Thanks for the input. Seems like I can find positive and negative reviews about all the top aftermarket cores. OMIX-ADA, Spectra Premium and Vista Pro all have a hate em or love em followings. I was hoping for clear "head and shoulders above the rest" kind of choice but doesn't look like I'll get it.
Unread 10-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #6
psychoteen101
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Just put a NAPA core in a grand cherokee. Pretty fair price. Fit real nice and didnt leak right off the bat. We'll see how long it lasts. Seems like luck of the draw with aftermarkets. Had put one in a dodge dakota previously (napa brand) and it blew up and sprayed coolant all over the interior less than a week after the install. Had to redo the entire job.
Unread 10-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #7
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamnoz View Post
Jim
Interesting......how bad are Chrysler heater cores compared to the stuff from Ford before 1990? (I may be showing my age with the question. Ford heater cores were complete trash back in the day. I replaced MANY of them....)
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Rock Auto on my YJ. Fit perfectly except one of the mounting sheet metal screws came dangerously close to the core. I filed it off before I installed it. No issues at all. Even made it through an Idaho winter with a soft top.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club #91
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #9
tamnoz
2001 XJ Cherokee 

heater core

I think you will find that there are only a couple Co's that make cores and are just reboxed.
Jim
tamnoz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.