Putting a Pionerr DEH-1400 CD Deck in a 1996 Cherokee -- help pls. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Putting a Pionerr DEH-1400 CD Deck in a 1996 Cherokee -- help pls.

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 07-07-2009, 04:14 PM   #1
hobo13

Putting a Pionerr DEH-1400 CD Deck in a 1996 Cherokee -- help pls.

I've got a Pioneer DEH-1400 CD deck from my old car that I'm working at installing in my 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport. I've got the wires all spiced together, and it sounds great!

But I don't have the right mounting hardware to actually install it in the bay. I'm guessing I need a 'fit kit'. Can someone suggest which fit kit I need?

Thanks.

hobo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2009, 07:06 PM   #2
Fire-XJ
1982 CJ2A 

Try crutchfield.com. They list everything you need by vehicle make and model.
Fire-XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2009, 07:17 PM   #3
Ac1d

Is it a double bay? I have an 87 and its a single and my pioneer deck fit perfect. Just be sure to install the removable cage before installing the deck. Also make sure to run the wires through the middle of it. The removable cage that came with the deck should have some form of push out tabs, they should bend out to a 90degree angle. Just be sure to bend them after you have inserted the cage into the dash. The tabs should pinch themselfs in between the front lip on the cage and the bezel where the stereo is mounted. Here is a picture of what I'm talking about, the triangle shape cut outs are the tabs I'm talking about. http://www.deals-on-ice.co.uk/shop/i...eo%20cage.jpeg
Ac1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2009, 07:18 PM   #4
Tarukai
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire-XJ View Post
Try crutchfield.com. They list everything you need by vehicle make and model.
X2 on this.

Crutchfield is the car audio DIYer's best friend. They will list the parts you need when you do their vehicle match.
Tarukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2009, 07:32 PM   #5
basso4735
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Or just go down to a local car audio place, they will help you out. probably more expensive than crutchfield but no wait

Red 97 XJ Sport 5 Speed - Lifted 3" - Sound system - C4X4 Tow Hooks - Hella 500s
Black 96 XJ Classic - Stocker on 31s - SOLD
basso4735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2009, 10:17 AM   #6
hobo13

It's a single bay. Crutchfield shows this part. I called to confirm, and they say this will do it. It just looks odd to me, but I guess a lot of the extra pieces snap off.

I'll also check-out Car-Toys today and see what they have.

Thanks a lot!
Unread 07-08-2009, 11:36 AM   #7
Tarukai
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobo13 View Post
It's a single bay. Crutchfield shows this part. I called to confirm, and they say this will do it. It just looks odd to me, but I guess a lot of the extra pieces snap off.
You're exactly right. That's an adapter for domestic vehicles, and it has all of the screw mounting tabs, but you break off all of the ones you don't need.
Tarukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2009, 01:10 PM   #8
justanotherjpr

Yup, it is single DIN. Wal-Mart sells the dash kit you need, made by Scoshe.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2009, 02:38 PM   #9
TheNerd
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I don't know if it is different on a '96, but for my '87, I re-used the mounting bracket from the factory stereo (which also supports the back of the stereo). That thing had holes all over the place, and some of them lined up perfectly with some mounting holes in my stereo...
Unread 07-08-2009, 02:45 PM   #10
hobo13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNerd View Post
I don't know if it is different on a '96, but for my '87, I re-used the mounting bracket from the factory stereo (which also supports the back of the stereo). That thing had holes all over the place, and some of them lined up perfectly with some mounting holes in my stereo...
This is actually what I did for now. I looked at the 'fit kits', but they all seem to support just the front of the deck. So I used the original mounting bracket with the new deck, and got it attached. The only problem is that there is now a bit of a gap around the opening. Not sure I should care too much though....
Unread 07-08-2009, 09:51 PM   #11
Ac1d

Do you have the bezel for the deck installed? It should have come with a bezel that goes around the face of the head unit. Typically its in between 1/8" - 1/4", but this all depends on the shape of your head unit.
Ac1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2009, 08:10 AM   #12
TheNerd
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobo13 View Post
This is actually what I did for now. I looked at the 'fit kits', but they all seem to support just the front of the deck. So I used the original mounting bracket with the new deck, and got it attached. The only problem is that there is now a bit of a gap around the opening. Not sure I should care too much though....
Yeah... I've got a little gap around the face plate as well. I have been considering making a thin wooden "bezel" located behind the dash plate (and painting it the same color as the interior...which for me is black) to mask the gap a little more.

...I saw something similar done on Unique Whips once.. BLING BLING!
Unread 07-09-2009, 03:52 PM   #13
georgiachaos
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I put a similar pioneer in my 2000 xj. I used a mounting kit I got from Walmart. It covers the gap and is secure. Not to mention it was cheap.
georgiachaos is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.