Pulling my engine: What Should I change? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Pulling my engine: What Should I change?

Toxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitZone Offroad - Jeep Forum Promotion

Unread 03-22-2015, 10:43 AM   #1
cavalier

Pulling my engine: What Should I change Since I'm Already There?

4.0 with 250k on it. Runs very well. Good compression.

I'm yanking the engine to fix the broken motor mount bolts. Question: what lal should I swap?

Obviously, oil pan seal, rear main seal, exhaust manifold/intake seal, valve cover gasket perhaps (mine isn't that old).

Is it worth changing the oil pump and water pump? Haven't had any problems with them. Head gasket? Timing Chain?

cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2015, 10:49 AM   #2
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalier View Post
4.0 with 250k on it. Runs very well. Good compression.

I'm yanking the engine to fix the broken motor mount bolts. Question: what lal should I swap?

Obviously, oil pan seal, rear main seal, exhaust manifold/intake seal, valve cover gasket perhaps (mine isn't that old).

Is it worth changing the oil pump and water pump? Haven't had any problems with them. Head gasket?
Make sure you remove the CPS before pulling the engine.
Unread 03-22-2015, 11:34 AM   #3
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Have you seen the upgraded motor mounts offered by Brown Dog?
Unread 03-22-2015, 11:45 AM   #4
cavalier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
Have you seen the upgraded motor mounts offered by Brown Dog?
I have, but I'm wondering if I need them. Do people go wheeling with the stock mounts with success? Or does everyone who wheels upgrade?

Will be doing mostly mudding and hills, not so much rock boulders.
Unread 03-22-2015, 02:05 PM   #5
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

My ish kept moving forward, making the fans rub. I just did the mounts, not the full system. I hate the poly. Sends too many vibes through the body. The stuff hasn't moved any more though.
Unread 03-22-2015, 07:43 PM   #6
300cpilot
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Valve seals and freeze plugs?
300cpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2015, 02:04 PM   #7
diskman_1
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300cpilot View Post
Valve seals and freeze plugs?
Seconding freeze plugs.
diskman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2015, 05:37 PM   #8
cavalier

Should I change my head gasket?

I've never had any issues with it. No overheating or coolant getting into the oil.

Also, should I change my water pump? Timing chain?
Unread 04-25-2015, 05:48 PM   #9
Tru2Chevy
Web Wheeler

1992 XJ Cherokee 

At this point it mostly comes down to how much you want to spend.

With 250k on it, it will benefit from just about everything mentioned so far. I would certainly do an oil pump and probably replace the water pump as well. The timing chain probably has stretched some, so replacing that is good insurance. It's a slippery slope - you can easily fall into the "Well, it's only a few more bolts and another $40 to do this while I'm in here" and before you know it you've rebuilt the whole engine

- Justin

1996 Cherokee Classic - 3.5" lift / 31.0x10.5 Mastercraft Courser CTs / Warn XD9000i - Stripped for parts / junked :(

2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo - 4.7, bone stock - Wife's DD

NJ F-Body Owners Association
Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2015, 06:32 PM   #10
cavalier

Yeah. That's what I'm worried about.

I'm leaning towards just doing:

- Oil pan gasket
- Rear Main Seal
- New exhaust manifold (old one is cracked- got a new one very cheap)
- New exhaust/intake manifold gasket
- water pump (i've been told that not doing this would be dumb)

What I don't plan to do:

- Valve cover gasket (I have a blue felpro that I put on 5 years ago. That should last quite a while. I think it's fine).
- Timing chain (these don't usually fail)
- Oil pump (these are pretty robust as well)
- head gasket (never had any issues with the head gasket)
- valve seals (just replaced these)

Lemme know what ya'll think. I'm trying to only replace the stuff that I think is a "weak link," as I want to get her back on the road asap.
Unread 04-25-2015, 07:26 PM   #11
Tru2Chevy
Web Wheeler

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds good, although I might lean towards doing the timing chain with 250k miles. It true that they don't usually fail, but the chain will stretch over time, which will mean that timing is slightly off. I haven't done one myself (on a 4.0), but a standard timing chain is typically fairly cheap and it looks like something that is easy to swap on an engine stand and a royal PITA to do in the Jeep. Just my two cents....

- Justin

1996 Cherokee Classic - 3.5" lift / 31.0x10.5 Mastercraft Courser CTs / Warn XD9000i - Stripped for parts / junked :(

2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo - 4.7, bone stock - Wife's DD

NJ F-Body Owners Association
Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2015, 07:37 PM   #12
cavalier

What are your thoughts on changing the oil pump, since I'll be opening up the oil pan anyway.

Is it worthwhile, or do these things last forever?
Unread 05-01-2015, 07:56 PM   #13
Live2surf32
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Wow! Your pulling the whole engine just for motor mounts. I would def. recommend brown dog mount brackets, I installed them on my 98 DD for preventative in about 3 hrs alone without the engine pulled. I put the brown dog Rubber mounts on but soon took them off because they made the jeep vibrate bad at idle. Just doing the mounts should take only like 45 min to hour 1 1/2.

I will tell you though I when I went back to stock mounts I installed just autozone mounts and they SUCK!! I am looking for new mounts because I think that is why I get a major thud when ever I let off the gas or press it. Go with either OEM or maybe M.O.R.E has some. The brown dogs would probably break in after a couple months but I waited a week and didn't want to risk them never settling down.

Edit: Just realized you have 250K, so I guess it wouldn't hurt to do all the other stuff too. But definitely not required to change mounts.
Live2surf32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.