Pulling dana 44 gears - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Pulling dana 44 gears

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDThe NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.com

Unread 04-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
johnridesjeeps
1996 ZJ 

So I'm from zj and yj but figured since I'm building a xj 44 for my yj I'll ask here. I'm in the middle of breaking down the axle for a rebuild and what not. This is my first time and don't worry. I will not be setting up the new gears . Right now I got the 4 bolts and 2 straps off the carrier, but it won't budge. How to pull the carrier easily?? Thanks guys! Also I don't want to destroy the gears as I wil try to sell them for a few bucks.

johnridesjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Gently pry on the differential housing. I have also read that to take a rag, ball it up, and then using a ratchet, turn it under the ring gear using the ring gear bolts to turn the gear. Make sure its stuffed in there tight! It will start popping out the carrier and then it can easily be pried the rest of the way out.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
johnridesjeeps
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim
Gently pry on the differential housing. I have also read that to take a rag, ball it up, and then using a ratchet, turn it under the ring gear using the ring gear bolts to turn the gear. Make sure its stuffed in there tight! It will start popping out the carrier and then it can easily be pried the rest of the way out.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlTsZzpvUn8
That is the worst video ever to grace the Internet. But thanks a lot I get the jist of it and will try that.
Unread 04-22-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

This is the method I use for an axle on a vehicle. I have pulled hundreds of diffs from junkyard cars like this. I put a box end 11/16" wrench on one ring bolt at the top then pry on a ring bolt at the bottom. You need to put something between the tools and your housing face so that the tools don't dent the housing face. Once the diff starts to move, if it only moves out on the side you are prying, you have to get it to move some on the other side or it will bind.

If you have the axle off the car then let the opening face up and use two long pry bars in the middle of the diff case and just yard on them. Once again, put something on the housing faces do you don't dent that with the pry bars. I have hears that some people run a rag between the ring and pinion by turning the ring. I have never been able to get that to work.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
johnridesjeeps
1996 ZJ 

So I've managed to damage the ring gears. I just want this out. I can't get a rag to run through. I've wedged a crow bar down under the carrier and smacked it with a hammer and this thing won't budge. Any more ideas? Also I am protecting the housing because this is the only thing I want. Also the axle is out of the jeep and I have it on jack stands if that helps with ideas.
Unread 04-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #6
RamboPants
1987 XJ Cherokee 

I don't know how to get it out but are you rebuilding it yourself and taking to let a pro set it up?
RamboPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
johnridesjeeps
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboPants
I don't know how to get it out but are you rebuilding it yourself and taking to let a pro set it up?
Yes, I am doing everything I can myself. My friend is going to help me weld on new perches and shock mounts. I have two friends who have set up multiple gears so I will get them to do it or worst case scenario pay a shop to do it.
Unread 04-23-2013, 03:46 PM   #8
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

I could get it out in less than 1 minute if I were there. Hammering on your pry bar does not generally help unless it's a trac-lok diff and you have a really stiff bar. If you have the pinion yoke off then put it back. A Dana 44 diff will often bind with the pinion if the pinion is loose in the housing. If you put the yoke on then the pinion will just turn normally as you pull the ring out.
Unread 04-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #9
johnridesjeeps
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggybottombob
I could get it out in less than 1 minute if I were there. Hammering on your pry bar does not generally help unless it's a trac-lok diff and you have a really stiff bar. If you have the pinion yoke off then put it back. A Dana 44 diff will often bind with the pinion if the pinion is loose in the housing. If you put the yoke on then the pinion will just turn normally as you pull the ring out.
Pinion yoke is still on. I don't think I mentioned and don't know if it matters but the spider gears are welded. I spent an hour and a half and the thing would not budge at all. I'm at a loss. I gave up today. I really don't want to pay $100 to have some one else pull it, but I'm running out of options.
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:29 AM   #10
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

PM me if you want and I will talk you through it on the phone. I don't have a better idea. I have yet to run into a diff I could not pull with a box end wrench and a pry bar now that I know how.
Unread 04-24-2013, 03:04 PM   #11
white305
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Silly question, but have you pulled the axle shafts?
white305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 04:43 PM   #12
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by white305 View Post
Silly question, but have you pulled the axle shafts?
I tried to pull a front D44 diff about a month ago with one axle shaft still in it. It's not that hard to forget. Got my neighbor to come over and help me on it and he pointed out my stupid in about 10 seconds.
Unread 04-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #13
Kalali
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnridesjeeps View Post
That is the worst video ever to grace the Internet. But thanks a lot I get the jist of it and will try that.
Took the words right out of my mouth. I'm glad the guy holding the camera is not making any movies...
Kalali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 09:38 AM   #14
johnridesjeeps
1996 ZJ 

The shafts were long gone when I bought the housing. I put in a message to the last person I know that can set up gears as I'm hoping he has a axle spreader ( whatever the hell it really called). I won't be able to look at the axle until Sunday or even next Tuesday. Today is my Monday and the axle is 30 miles away at my parents.
Unread 05-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #15
johnridesjeeps
1996 ZJ 

Just in case any body looks up the same question I had. I finally pulled the carrier and gears. What I did. I get a friend and 2 crow bars. We laid the axle on the ground and wedged one crow bar under the ring gears and I stood on the bar. My buddy put another bar on top of the ring gears and pried until the carrier popped out. The sucker was in there tight. The rag trick did not work in the situation.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.