proven replacement radiators - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > proven replacement radiators

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 09-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
mudflaps

proven replacement radiators

Ive got an 01 Cherokee, that i have replaced 3 radiators on, and now im about to do my 4th. I am currently using a Murray radiator (pn 432335), and the last one was a Murray as well. They are metal core, with the plastic side reservoirs. The last one was leaking at the seam where the metal core meets the outside reservoir. I am not sure where this one is leaking, as I am still investigating.

Needless to say, i am looking for a new brand to try. Is there a de facto Jeep Cherokee standard that people are using? I would attempt to use a generic all aluminum japanese model that the BMW crowd uses, but then i also need a way to cool my trans fluid. In that case, I could potentially mount a secondary cooler of some type to circulate the trans fluid and cool it.

Maybe I am overthinking it. Let me know what you guys are using as a cooling solution.

mudflaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
the_weirdo
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I never use radiators with plastic side reservoirs - they always end up leaking. I have never had trouble with an all metal radiator and these come with the tranny cooler hookups also. I've had good luck ordering from RadiatorBarn.com in the past.
the_weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Typical response you'll get around here is "get a 3-row brass/copper CSF from DPG or RadiatorBarn." I roll my eyes at that a little because most people just follow the pack on that one without really doing any research. Luckily for those who blindly follow, CSF IS a good radiator; save a few dollars if you're not a hardcore wheeler or in insanely hot environments and get their 2-row unit. I'm not sure I trust anyone's aluminum/plastic replacements.

I've got NOTHING against plastic tanks like some fanatics around here, but there's a right way to construct those rads and a wrong/lazy/cost-saving way, and most manufacturers choose the latter. I really wanted an alum/plastic rad actually, but then I learned that there was no definitive way of knowing if they were constructed the right way or not. All-aluminum rads are nice, but there aren't too many to choose from, they all have some minor fitment issues irc, and they are super expensive.

I personally went with BTR for my radiator because CSF is imported from Indonesia through California, and I wasn't convinced that they're the best they can be. I also wanted to be able to provide some info on BTR to an automotive group that was so set on one particular brand and relatively unaware of alternatives. BTR is frighteningly well-constructed and built, if I remember correctly, in Mexico (might be US, though). Yeah, it might not be USA made, but at least it's a North American neighbor if not. The company itself is USA, though (based in Georgia). A summary of my experience can be found throughout this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/b...m-csf-1539851/
Unread 09-14-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

I've not handled a BTR yet but CSF does indeed make proven solid radiators. I chose 2-core for my DD XJ because it's a big improvement over the factor cooling capacity and I don't like how close to the fan the 3-core ride. One might think a 2 would have a bit better airflow through it as well. Plastic tanks not for me. I've seen too many of them split out over a little overheat (see post below). Radiatorbarn had the cheapest shipped cost available when I was in the market and it showed up and my house fast. No more overtemp issues for me; no regrets.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
ENTER your jeep in the September Cherokee Of The Month contest here!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #5
JeepZJlover
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I own both a tj and an xj and I can proudly tell you there is nothing wrong with plastic tanks in a well built radiator I put a factory radiator back in my wrangler at 117'000 miles I would say that's pretty good mileage for a radiator and as for both xjs I own I never had any leakage from the plastic tanks except for when I overheated and one exploded!! So say what you will stick to factory they always fit prefect to
1993 Cherokee 4dr SE green, 4.0, Auto, HP30, 8.25, 3" lift 31" Goodyear Duratracs, Custom made front recovery bumper, Kenwood radio, 12" alpine type e subwoofer,alpine amplifier, Smittybilt xrc8 winch, tuff stuff portable winch receiver custom modified. 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0, 5 speed, Dana 30 front, Dana 44 trac loc rear, Stock
JeepZJlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
mhall02
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Bought the Ready Rad from Advance Auto 7 years ago and it is still working fine. Looked just like the original (but didn't leak) in that it has plastic tanks on the side and aluminum in the middle. Have had zero problems, think it was about $99 on sale and it has a lifetime replacement warranty. Has about 110,000 miles on it right now so I'm not complaining. Put the same brand in my van last summer, the van runs cooler and no leaks to date on that one as well. Bought the one for the van online, had a 15% discount and picked up in the local store.
mhall02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
mudflaps

So does the csf radiator have a tranny hook up?

also, this radiatorbarn place doesnt even seem to exist anymore. the reviews i read on the csf are mixed. am i missing something? the cherokee is a pretty plentiful and popular vehicle, i cant believe there isnt one product that is a slam dunk fix.

Last edited by mudflaps; 09-15-2013 at 12:11 PM..
Unread 09-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #8
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

If it's the one for your jeep it does.
Check here for more good info. CSF Radiator
Nothing is a slam dunk nowadays.

COTY 2009
Quote:
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
Unread 09-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #9
mudflaps

thanks for the lmgtfy link that was so helpful, i fwded it to all my friends also. they don't even have cherokees and i still sent it, just because it was so helpful and informative that it transcended vehicle models.

anyway i went to their website, and nowhere on their site does it mention a transmission hook up.
Unread 09-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #10
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The CSF is basically a stock clone except it's all metal; it has trans cooler fittings (heat exchanger, really) just like the factory one. You can see them on the left here on my new 3-row. Also had a CSF replacement for my YJ, so I have nothing bad to say about them at all. I tried a fancy Champion all-aluminum in my XJ and the fitment was so horrible that I couldn't even use it.

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #11
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudflaps View Post
thanks for the lmgtfy link that was so helpful, i fwded it to all my friends also. they don't even have cherokees and i still sent it, just because it was so helpful and informative that it transcended vehicle models.

anyway i went to their website, and nowhere on their site does it mention a transmission hook up.
but seriously, there are a lot of threads on this forum thoroughly discussing your exact dilema and with great feedback from people that have already traveled this road.

COTY 2009
Quote:
Unread 09-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #12
mudflaps

kewl, thanks for the help. i am am just ready be be done changing these radiators. im just lucky it isnt another heater core.
Unread 09-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #13
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I bought the cheapest POS on eBay. Can't tell any difference between it and the one that cost twice as much from AutoZone.
Unread 09-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #14
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Installed in 2 XJs, running fine for years. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Its OEM spec and they pack it correctly, unlike radiator barn.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.