Proportioning Valve - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 05-29-2009, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
joshs1ofakindxj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SWPA
Posts: 210
Proportioning Valve

So I'm putting rear disc brakes on the 89 XJ, and therefore putting in a proportioning valve (PV) from the grand cherokee I got the disc brakes from.

The old PV in my NON-ABS 89 XJ has two connections for the front brakes and 1 connection for the rear brakes.

The PV from the ABS 96 ZJ has 1 connection for the front and 1 connection for the rear. Where the 2nd connection for the front is located there is a threaded plug for something but it does not appear to be a place to connect the other front brake line because it doesn't look like a seat for a double-flared connection.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

So do I need to find a PV from a NON-ABS ZJ with disc brakes?

OR

Can I run one brake line front the PV's single front brake connection and then use a "T"-connector to split the line into the two lines needed for the front? Would that be bypassing something in the ABS unit or non-ABS PV that I'm missing?

Thanks.

joshs1ofakindxj is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 Old 05-29-2009, 01:33 PM
nostaw22
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hollis
Posts: 402
When I did the conversion I didn't bother changing proportioning valves, and the brakes work fine, so if you do nothing it will be "OK".

I was talking to my mechanic about it and he said there is a spring which helps hold residual pressure, which is different for the drum / disc brakes. He said just pull the spring from the GC proportioning valve rear output line and use it to replace the spring in the XJ proportioning valve's rear output. I haven't done this yet since the brakes don't seem to drag using the stock XJ proportioning valve and I don't have a GC proportioning valve.

Not sure if this helps, but it may save you some hassle.

JW

1998 XJ - built for offroading
2007 WK CRD - DashHawk, for towing the XJ
nostaw22 is offline  
post #3 of 5 Old 05-29-2009, 03:22 PM
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Tan Valley Arizona
Posts: 7,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by nostaw22 View Post
When I did the conversion I didn't bother changing proportioning valves, and the brakes work fine, so if you do nothing it will be "OK".

I was talking to my mechanic about it and he said there is a spring which helps hold residual pressure, which is different for the drum / disc brakes. He said just pull the spring from the GC proportioning valve rear output line and use it to replace the spring in the XJ proportioning valve's rear output. I haven't done this yet since the brakes don't seem to drag using the stock XJ proportioning valve and I don't have a GC proportioning valve.

Not sure if this helps, but it may save you some hassle.

JW
Your mechanic is correct. Just put the GC spring in the XJ prop. valve.

AZ-Jeff
I don't own an XJ any longer, but I still think they are the best of all the Jeep products ever made. My XJ was my favorite vehicle in my 50+ years of driving.
So...I stick around and give advice.
AZ Jeff is offline  
post #4 of 5 Old 05-29-2009, 07:02 PM
Ed Rico
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Terre Haute
Posts: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshs1ofakindxj View Post
So I'm putting rear disc brakes on the 89 XJ, and therefore putting in a proportioning valve (PV) from the grand cherokee I got the disc brakes from.

The old PV in my NON-ABS 89 XJ has two connections for the front brakes and 1 connection for the rear brakes.

The PV from the ABS 96 ZJ has 1 connection for the front and 1 connection for the rear. Where the 2nd connection for the front is located there is a threaded plug for something but it does not appear to be a place to connect the other front brake line because it doesn't look like a seat for a double-flared connection.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

So do I need to find a PV from a NON-ABS ZJ with disc brakes?

OR

Can I run one brake line front the PV's single front brake connection and then use a "T"-connector to split the line into the two lines needed for the front? Would that be bypassing something in the ABS unit or non-ABS PV that I'm missing?

Thanks.
The ZJ valve will work fine for you. Just remove the threaded plug from the ZJ valve and replace it with the threaded adapter in the same location from the original XJ valve. This will allow you to install all 3 of the XJ lines in the original location if you remount the ZJ valve on the XJ valve bracket. The ZJ valve only has the 2 outputs because it doesn't split the 2 fronts out until after the ABS. I put the ZJ valve on my XJ with the ZJ rear disc conversion and it works fine just as described above. Note that depending on what year ZJ valve you have, you may need to scavenge the electrical connector from the donor vehicle. I still have to do this on my '98 XJ since the switch on the ZJ valve uses a different connector than the original.

-Ed Rico
Ed Rico is offline  
post #5 of 5 Old 05-29-2009, 11:30 PM
alexrule123
Registered User
 
alexrule123's Avatar
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 7,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Jeff View Post
Your mechanic is correct. Just put the GC spring in the XJ prop. valve.
I tried that when I did the conversion and didn't notice any difference in brake performance, after putting in the zj prop valve I noticed a huge difference. Also make sure you get the cap that holds the prop valve in the zj master cylinder since the zj one has a smaller internal diameter and will leak fluid when the brakes are applied.

Quote:
The great thing about UDP jokes is no one cares if you get them or not.
2001 Cherokee Limited:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
alexrule123 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
ins and outs on a proportioning valve jeeptorino68 XJ Cherokee Technical Forum 2 06-27-2009 02:06 PM
proportioning valve for 8.8 swap robsjeepxj XJ Cherokee Technical Forum 4 07-17-2008 07:46 PM
Proportioning valve Q summitlt MJ Comanche Technical Forum 2 05-29-2005 03:22 PM
Proportioning valve question summitlt XJ Cherokee Technical Forum 0 05-28-2005 07:52 AM
Proportioning valve question mbaucom XJ Cherokee Technical Forum 1 09-08-2004 03:37 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome