The next project was I decided to build a front dana 44 from a 03-06 Rubicon.
I decided to go with all new parts including the housing.
And the diff all assembled ready to go.
While installing the 44 in the front we aslo installed a set of Rough Country front control arm drop brackets to help line everything back up.
(Sorry but I did not get any pics of the brackets)
Old d30 out.
And the new 44 going in. (and yes it is a bolt in swap)
For the switch I used a ARB front locker switch along with the factory rubicon air pump.
I had a friend that builds race cars move the fill plug on the front cover up a bit so that I could get more that a quart into the diff.
Here is a pic of the cover unpainted to show the quality of work this guy does.
This locker has worked amazing so far with this rig.
Some things that I did not think off when installing this axle:
Although yes the axle is a bolt in, there is some things that have to be done.
First I needed a 1310/1330 u-joint to mate to the larger yoke on the 44.
And also the housing on the 44 has a longer snout so the front shaft needed to be shortened by about 1.5" to give it the correct room to slide.