project daily driver - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > project daily driver

JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 02-17-2009, 09:03 PM   #1
amsoilman
1965 CJ6 

project daily driver

OK here we go.

couple weeks ago i picked up a 1987 XJ 4.0L, 5 speed, 30 front (of course), and 35 rear. seller said it needed the brakes bled, as soon as i test drove it i new that wasnt true (needed new brakes). new items in it, clutch, water pump, alt, brake master cylinder, new tires. seller was asking $700

i picked it up for $500.

yep needed new brakes

installed new rotors, cailpers and pads in the front and new pads and wheel cylinders in the rear. was having some pedal issues so i borrowed a power bleeder from a buddy and problem solved.

today i changed the plugs, cap, and rotor, wires were still in good shape. ive put one tank of gas through it and got 16MPG, so now that i did a small tune up on it i will see if it gets better. the heat blows hot, the motor runs cool, but it does need new shocks and some steering work. put a new OHV permit on it.

upcomming modifications:
build front winch bumper
winch
build rear tire carrier/bumper
build roof rack
cd player
winch
build custom center console
2" rustys budget boost (spacer/shackle)
CB
brighter dome lights
herculine interior

i picked up this to build my rear tire carrier http://www.atozfabrication.com/store...cat=274&page=1

picked up my winch

more random pics

Last edited by amsoilman; 03-26-2009 at 09:17 PM..
amsoilman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2009, 09:05 PM   #2
amsoilman
1965 CJ6 

question: will an exhaust manifold from a H.O. engine fit on a renix engine?

of course mine has the cracked exhaust manifold but i have a fairly new header from a wrangler, will this fit?
Unread 02-17-2009, 09:08 PM   #3
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

I dont know about your question. I just recently picked up a 96 Cherokee SE to add to the collection. Good luck. I wish I had gotten one of the older ones. I like the interior and chrome grill better for some reason.

Brian
Unread 02-17-2009, 09:10 PM   #4
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Not sure about the manifold, but good find on the XJ,and glad you addressed the safety aspects first.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2009, 09:38 PM   #5
amsoilman
1965 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjfever View Post
Not sure about the manifold, but good find on the XJ,and glad you addressed the safety aspects first.

Thanks. yah this will be my daily driver as the project title says, so safe and reliable are the first issue being addressed.
Unread 02-18-2009, 12:00 PM   #6
amsoilman
1965 CJ6 

i got a plasma cutter the other day and am going to cut out frame stiffeners to put on it. that will be a long weekend because when i do it, i want to do alot in like a package deal.

frame stiffeners, tie in the rock sliders, steering box bracing/plating the front and tie in the winch bumper mounts, also at that time install my budget boost.

i wont be going bigger tires or taller lift until i can get some bigger axles (yes i know i can run bigger tires with the 30/35 or just throw a 44 in the rear), and the bigger axles wont come in until i get rid of the pugoet(sp) trans and pick up a AX-15 or NV3550.
Unread 02-18-2009, 12:02 PM   #7
paroxysym
2007 WK 

for a daily driver, you sure are adding alot of extra weight to this thing
Unread 02-18-2009, 02:19 PM   #8
amsoilman
1965 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paroxysym View Post
for a daily driver, you sure are adding alot of extra weight to this thing

maybe, but i was a tank mechanic in the army so everything i buld is built with "over built" in mind. when i say "daily driver" i dont just mean ill drive it from home to work and back and thats it. it will be going up into the mountains going fishing and hiking, but its not going to be a trailer queen or off-road only. everything i build into it has a purpose.

the rear tire carrier will hold 2 jerry cans, basicly doubling my driving distance.

the rock sliders/rocker guards wont mount to the uniframe without the frame stiffeners.

the front frame plating will also be stiffening up the steering box and giving me a better mounting location for th winch bumper.
Unread 02-18-2009, 02:43 PM   #9
Lynch_6913
2001 XJ Cherokee 

o i love the 87... its a great year and they just look so dang cool on the inside... i see your missing your radio as well mine jsut fried on me.. but lastin 22 years wasn't bad ... good luck
Lynch_6913 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2009, 03:08 PM   #10
amsoilman
1965 CJ6 

drove the jeep today after putting new plugs, cap, and rotor in. what a difference it made, cruises at 55mph when before it wasnt really a struggle but it didnt cruise lol. this jeep sat for over a year before i bought it so it does need some tune-up work.

i have a cd player to put in it, the stock stereo was gone when i got it.
Unread 02-20-2009, 06:25 PM   #11
amsoilman
1965 CJ6 

i found a trans im waiting to find out if i can pick up for the jeep. AX-15 with a twin sticked dana 300.
Unread 03-13-2009, 12:40 AM   #12
amsoilman
1965 CJ6 

a tree fell in my yard this weekend in a wind storm so i cut it up and had to get it up to the shop so i made the jeep work lol

tonight i started to rip up the carpet and to my suprise it wasnt as bad as i expected.

Last edited by amsoilman; 03-26-2009 at 09:19 PM..
amsoilman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2009, 07:28 PM   #13
amsoilman
1965 CJ6 

pulled the rest of the carpet from the front today, not as bad as i thought it might be. i have one spot where its almost rusted through and i know i can push through it so ill have to fix that. its in the hump where your foot reast fo the gas pedal. also the gear shifter pulled right out, the 3 bolts that are suppose to hold it in were removed and never put back in so i have to find some that will fit. i was getting ready to do that when i seen the clouds comming in and its a good thing i did. we had a thunder/lightning/torrential rain/snow shower blow through for about 10 minutes.

tomorrow as long as the weather is nice i will get the floor bedlined.
Unread 03-16-2009, 08:06 PM   #14
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Wow those floorpans look really good for an 87. Looks like you have good plans for it too. Keep the pics coming.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2009, 08:58 PM   #15
franknstn_cj5
2006 LJ Wrangler 

X2 what he said ^^^

I took up a corner of my 85 XJ's carpet to see what I would be dealing with, and it's not pretty...

Enjoy, and keep us updated!
franknstn_cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.