Programming PCM/ECU with VIN/Mileage - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Programming PCM/ECU with VIN/Mileage

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChSave 15% in XT's Pre-Black Friday Event!

Reply
Unread 02-14-2008, 02:35 PM   #1
jrn1023
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 125
Programming PCM/ECU with VIN/Mileage

For those of you that have replaced your engine computer, did you have to take your rig in to get the VIN and Mileage programmed into the system? I have a '98 with what I suspect is a bad PCM. Before swapping it out, I'd like to know how much I'll be charged to have the thing programmed. That is, if I find a junk yard replacement. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks.

jrn1023 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2008, 05:35 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.
 
CJ7-Tim's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: out in the garage - Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 21,938
If you find the exact model year donor as your own Cherokee, re-flashing the computer is optional. You may even find that other model years will function just fine as well. Nobody else but us Forumpeople know that the mileage is also recorded in the ECM.
__________________
.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2008, 06:51 PM   #3
jrn1023
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
If you find the exact model year donor as your own Cherokee, re-flashing the computer is optional. You may even find that other model years will function just fine as well. Nobody else but us Forumpeople know that the mileage is also recorded in the ECM.
Thanks Tim. Now it's a matter of finding one reasonably priced. I plan to check with UPullRParts in Rosemount tomorrow. Tim, are you aware of any other places to check in the Twin Cities area?
jrn1023 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2008, 06:55 PM   #4
alexrule123
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 7,315
I put a 97 ecu into my 99 without an problems, your milage is not stored in the ecu

edit: Make sure the donor ecu comes from an xj with the same options your's has, such as auto or manual and if your's has cruise control or not.
__________________
Quote:
The great thing about UDP jokes is no one cares if you get them or not.
2001 Cherokee Limited: My Build Thread
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2008, 07:04 PM   #5
jrn1023
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrule123 View Post
I put a 97 ecu into my 99 without an problems, your milage is not stored in the ecu

edit: Make sure the donor ecu comes from an xj with the same options your's has, such as auto or manual and if your's has cruise control or not.
Thanks, the U-Pull I mentioned does have a '97 in stock. just not sure if the computer is still in it. I wonder why the units you get at say Rock Auto indicated the VIN and mileage need to be programmed. I'll keep the options in mind when looking for one.
jrn1023 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2008, 07:33 PM   #6
alexrule123
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 7,315
With a 98 i believe you can use the years 97-99 and the only reason i am not suggesting to use years 00 or 01 is because the ignition system is different and they don't have distributors.
__________________
Quote:
The great thing about UDP jokes is no one cares if you get them or not.
2001 Cherokee Limited: My Build Thread
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2008, 07:51 PM   #7
jrn1023
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrule123 View Post
With a 98 i believe you can use the years 97-99 and the only reason i am not suggesting to use years 00 or 01 is because the ignition system is different and they don't have distributors.
Yep, I also own an '01 and was tempted to use it to test the '98 but there is enough of a difference that I didn't want to risk ruining the running vehicle.
jrn1023 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2008, 08:10 PM   #8
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.
 
CJ7-Tim's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: out in the garage - Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 21,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrn1023 View Post
Thanks Tim. Now it's a matter of finding one reasonably priced. I plan to check with UPullRParts in Rosemount tomorrow. Tim, are you aware of any other places to check in the Twin Cities area?
Call U-Pull and see if they have any 97+ in the yard, the ECM is usually the first part to get taken. I deal with AAA (parent company for U-Pull and just next door ) and with John's Auto Parts in Blaine. My buddy just got a 98 ECM from John's for his 98 and didn't re-flash it, he just drove it home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrn1023 View Post
Yep, I also own an '01 and was tempted to use it to test the '98 but there is enough of a difference that I didn't want to risk ruining the running vehicle.
With the distributor-less ignition system I wouldn't try that.
__________________
.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2008, 06:04 AM   #9
CharBroiled
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Northeast USA
Posts: 644
you dont need to flash it for it to run.

but getting it inspected is a different matter, depends on your states inspection laws, some may compare the VIN that the OBDII port gives to the actual vehicle VIN. why they would do that (if they do) is beyond me.
__________________
[COLOR="DarkRed"]2000 Cherokee Sport 4.0L Selec Trac[/COLOR] - mine - for occasional wheeling
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]2007 Patriot 2.4L FD I 4x4[/COLOR] - wifes - doomed to rarely leave the street
CharBroiled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.