Procomp Leaf Spring Packs (remove overload leaf for 2")? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Procomp Leaf Spring Packs (remove overload leaf for 2")?

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-11-2008, 02:24 PM   #1
grizbait
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Procomp Leaf Spring Packs (remove overload leaf for 2")?

I have this Procomp Leaf Spring Pack for an XJ (part 53111). Brochure says it's for 3.5" - 4" over stock lift setup (http://www.explorerprocomp.com/PDFs/07cat/44-51.pdf for description). I'm wondering about removing the overload leaf.

Pics are here:
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...eafSpring1.jpg
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...eafSpring2.jpg

Has anyone ever taken the overload leaf OFF and used this spring to achieve 2-2.5"? I wonder if it would be worth a try. Anyone done it?

grizbait is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2008, 03:31 PM   #2
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Don't think it would hurt anything (except you wouldn't have an overload spring!!??[as if]). You could buy what you really want from somewhere else too.

If you took that bottom leaf off you'd have 3/4" less of a lift than the springs would offer anyway becaue the overload spring is flat (doesn't add any lift except for the thickness of the leaf itself, like a 3/4" block.)
Unread 02-11-2008, 04:58 PM   #3
grizbait
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise XJ View Post
If you took that bottom leaf off you'd have 3/4" less of a lift than the springs would offer anyway because the overload spring is flat (doesn't add any lift except for the thickness of the leaf itself, like a 3/4" block.)
Guess that's true - basically this leaf has little effect unless you bottom out the springs anyway...

Last edited by grizbait; 02-11-2008 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: Fixed Quote
Unread 02-11-2008, 09:07 PM   #4
grizbait
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I sent an email to the ProComp tech folks. Basically, they said 2.5-3" over stock is lift, is what you could expect.

Here's what they had to say. This from John Meeden (jmeeden@explorerprocomp.com), Products Manager at Explorer Competition Products, LLC.

"Depending on the weight the vehicle is carrying, the lift will be 2.5 3.0.
Unread 02-11-2008, 10:26 PM   #5
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Yep, a 3.5"-4" Pro-Comp lift equals about 2.5"-3" after it settles in with stock shackles (still sags a bit).
Unread 12-06-2009, 10:45 PM   #6
dirty97jeep
1997 XJ Cherokee 

so pretty much your say that at first you will have a 3.5-4" lift but after a short amount of time it will settle to be the correct 2.5"?
dirty97jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2010, 01:11 PM   #7
c0ncEpT
1995 XJ Cherokee 

They don't settle that much. I have them, shackles, and relocation boxes and it sits perfectly level with my front 5.5" springs.

They settle right into that 3.5" range from my personal experience.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.