Problems Starting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Problems Starting

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 09-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
MrKevinRosales
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Problems Starting

For the last week or two my '96 Cherokee has been starting slower and slower. Today after a quick trip to the store it would not start. I tried wiggling the shifter, moving it to neutral and back to park. I even got under and tried jumping it from the starter, but still no luck.
The gauges all work fine, there is no engine light on or anything.
After a short while my dad arrived with a shop towel and some ice. He simply placed it on the ignition coil and after a few minutes Jeep started up again, still it was slow.
We really don't know what it is. We took the starter and battery out and had them tested and it came out fine. The guy told us it could be some wiring issue, or a started relay or a crank shaft sensor, but ruled out the ignition coil.
Any idea on what the problem could be?

MrKevinRosales is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Did he forget the whiskey? Seriously, is this to improve the action of the coil? I've not heard of this.
Diamond-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
MrKevinRosales
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I have no idea, he said something about it overheating and it preventing it from starting.
Unread 09-05-2013, 01:10 AM   #4
Holder350
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Take the jeep to a shop that can load test the battery. (The little computer testers are fine BT they should prompt for you to start the engine whole its hooked up for a load test)

Slow starting usually points to a tired battery or one that is to small for the application. Or a dirty connection causing voltage drop.

When the jeep would not start did the starter relay click at all or was there no sound at all?

Sent from my phone

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 06:39 AM   #5
MrKevinRosales
1996 XJ Cherokee 

There was no sound at all, I put the key in all the gauges lit up normally, the gas pump activated, and stereo turned on, as soon as I turned the key, except for the stereo flicker nothing happened, no sound, gauges didn't move, lights are still functional
Unread 09-05-2013, 06:53 AM   #6
Holder350
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

I would clean the NSS. And if it happens again try jumping the starter solenoid wire to the positive cable on the starter. This will take all the control circuit out of the equation and tell you whether to look at a new starter or into the control circuit.

Sent from my phone

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.