Problem with Solenoid? Transmission is stalling - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Problem with Solenoid? Transmission is stalling

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-21-2011, 08:50 AM   #1
Myzery

Problem with Solenoid? Transmission is stalling

For almost a month my 1997 cherokee would start slaming when I was driving around. It wouldn't do it often, sometimes I could drive it all day without it happening at all. But when it did happen it was really loud and forceful. Now my check engine light is on and my jeep isn't shifting properly. It feels like it takes forever to get out of 1st or 2nd gear and is making my life really difficult when I have to go up hills.

I plugged it into a diagnostics machine and the code that came up is:

Code P0753 (M), Transmission 3-3 shift sol/ transmission relay circuit. an open or shortened condition detected in the transmission 2-4 shift solenoid citcuit ( 4 speed auto. trans only)

I have no idea what do for this, but I know its probably an expensive fix, I think the jeep had this problem with its last transmission. Can someone please give me some advice here? I'd really appreciate it.

Myzery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2011, 09:05 AM   #2
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

- Faulty shift solenoid
- Shift solenoid harness or connectors
- Shift solenoid circuit is open or shorted
- Low transmission fluid level (check level on dipstick, but this cause less likely)
- Dirty transmission fluid (fluid should be red, and not smell burnt)
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2011, 10:19 AM   #3
Myzery

I just got off the phone with aamco, he said it could be like between 600 and 1800 to fix it. 1800 if they have to rebuild the transmission. Im almost positive its the solenoid, but everytime i look up the symptoms of the problem it says that the car shouldn't be able to shift at all if the solenoid is messed up. Could this mean its electrical? I mean the car can still shift, but it just feels like it can't shift into overdrive. I'd truly appreciate if I could get any form of advice here. If the stupid mechanic trys to shark me here I'm probably just gonna end up driving this thing till it dies and getting a new car, and I really don't wanna do that.
Unread 03-21-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
jasonmason147
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I can't speak for all aamcos but I wouldnt take it there. Bad our not they will most likely tell you its bad and will need a full rebuild. They told me that when mine was shifting funny and I took it home and dropped the pan and serviced it and it's been fine for the last 30k miles. So just be cautious with aamco.
jasonmason147 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2011, 10:56 AM   #5
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmason147 View Post
I can't speak for all aamcos but I wouldnt take it there. Bad our not they will most likely tell you its bad and will need a full rebuild. They told me that when mine was shifting funny and I took it home and dropped the pan and serviced it and it's been fine for the last 30k miles. So just be cautious with aamco.
I agree. I would find an "independent" transmission shop to take it to.

It is hard to say without more diagnosis and testing of the solenoids, but this could very well be an easy fix.

The OBD system is pretty good at leading you to the problem. And the odds are high that a solenoid replacement may take care of this for you.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2011, 01:40 PM   #6
Myzery

Update

OKAY! You guys were completly right about aamco, they didn't care. They said all they could do was rebuild the trans for 1500. But today my Jeep completly shut off while I was pulling out of my street. When I restarted it the check engine light was no longer on, and now it's back to slamming. It's seriously just like it was before the check engine light came on. Can anyone shed some light on this for me cause I'm really confused. My brother said it's probably the relay or something like that.
Unread 03-28-2011, 01:45 PM   #7
hubs97xj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Here's a thread that might be of interest to you. I believe the info to test the solenoids is in there as well; on the off chance they aren't the problem, you're only out a tube of RightStuff/a gasket, and you might as well clean/replace the filter screen and do a drain-n-fill while you're in there.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=987463
hubs97xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cherokee , help needed , solenoid , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.