Pre 97 / Post 97 Roof Rack Rail Differences? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Pre 97 / Post 97 Roof Rack Rail Differences?

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-31-2006, 03:18 PM   #1
viator

Pre 97 / Post 97 Roof Rack Rail Differences?

Looking through all the pics, it looks like the pre 97 XJ's that came with roof racks had rails that went much farther up the roof than those on post 97 XJ's. On the pre 97 (and some 97's I see as well) the rails go almost to the A pillar. On the post 97's, mine included, the rails end above the B pillar...

Well, I carry kayaks on top of my XJ using Yakima Rail Riders. And it would be nice to have that extra crossbar spread. So I was wondering, is there is a reason the post 97 XJ's have shorter roof rack rails? If I can find some of the longer rails, will I be able to fit them on top of my 2000 4dr XJ without problem? Do they just bolt on (sheet metal screws, bolts, etc?), what kind of complications (headliner, etc) are involved? Are the roof profiles pre/post 97 the same, or would I have to somehow tweak the rails to fit my 2000? And would the Yakima Rail Riders I have right now still fit? And lastly, and perhaps most importantly, will the rails be as strong? (I can't see why longer rails with more fasteners would be weaker, but I thought I'd better ask just in case.)

That's a whole slew of questions! Any insight will be appreciated.

[I][SIZE=1]2000 XJ Limited
NP242, AW4, 8.25 rear (29)
[/SIZE][/I]
viator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2006, 04:35 PM   #2
dynamite44

the longer roof rack swap has been done before.
i don't know what the fasteneres are, but i bet its just torx bit sheetmetal screws.
they did away with the full-length roof rack in either 1998 or 1999. by 2000 and 2001, they all had the abbreviated roof rack.
the long roof rack was in use something like 1993 up, maybe 1994.
[URL=http://members.cardomain.com/outofcontrol]Cardomain[/URL]
[URL=http://capitaljeeps.com/gallery/dynamite44sgallery]my capitaljeeps.com gallery[/URL]
dynamite44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2006, 04:45 PM   #3
viator

Interesting, I'd love to hear from somebody who has done the swap. I wonder if the current holes will line up with the longer rails. To add strength, I may run a bead of Lexel or 3M 5200 or something.

Does anyone know if there is still a source around for OEM full length rails? Or will I have to haunt the junkyards?

[I][SIZE=1]2000 XJ Limited
NP242, AW4, 8.25 rear (29)
[/SIZE][/I]
viator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2006, 04:55 PM   #4
LEAD_NOT_FOLLOW
Web Wheeler
1989 XJ Cherokee 

viator you have a PM.
LEAD_NOT_FOLLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2006, 02:38 PM   #5
cyberbackpacker

If lead not follow doesn't have longer rails for you, I do. Just pm me if you are interested.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.