Power windows not working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Power windows not working

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 03-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
kvncountryman
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Power windows not working

Hello all jeep wiring experts,
My g/f's jeep has a problem with the passenger side windows. The rear has been somewhat intermittent since I can remember, front has worked until recently and driver side front and rear work. The front passenger side will roll down from it's own switch, will not do anything from driver side switch. Because the switch on this side is not connected to any other switches, and because the switch is reversible, I thought I would flip the switch over plug it back in and it would go up but not down, didn't work. Since it was getting late I popped the door panel off, took the plug off the motor, took female spades out of the connector, swapped them on the motor and pressed the switch down and rolled the window up. Problem solved for now. I took the switches out of the driver side door, the back of the switches had a little bit of green on the brass plate, I popped the top plate off made sure the other plate was clean, it seemed to be fine, I put it all back together, and SHAZAM! everything's working, for now. I rolled the passenger front down from the driver side and got it stuck down. This time instead of taking the door panel off I did some thinking on how the switches work, and I just used jumpers at the back of the pass side switch and it went back up.

So I guess what I'm getting at is,

1) why am I not able to just flip the switch over and get it to go up, if I can use jumper wires in it's place?

2) does anybody know where I can individual door wire harnesses?

kvncountryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

1) because the switch only install one way.

2) at the junkyard.

Driver door wiring and master control switch issues are very common. Inspect the driver door wire harness for chafed insulation, cut wires, failed wire splices, corroded wire plugs, and faulty switches.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.