Power windows + locks wont work - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Power windows + locks wont work

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 10-16-2011, 05:54 PM   #1
shadams
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Power windows + locks wont work

I have a 98' cherokee sport and the windows on the right side of the car can only be put down or up by the driver switches. it is quite annoying when riding with people in the car. Also the power locks do not work. Any help on solving this problem would be greatly appreciated.

shadams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
jnbenson
2001 FSJ Cherokee 

So I have a 99 cherokee sport, and it has the same problem with the windows, my locks still work!! Other things I have read on the internet, is it is the main control switch on the drivers side, IF it's not wire/fuse related. My mirrors don't work any longer either! I'm getting ready to pop off the cover and dive right in.
Anyone out there have any advise, for both of us!
jnbenson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2011, 10:40 AM   #3
sirvs
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I've got a 99 2 door and just hit this issue.

It could be multiple things. The windows could be (and most likely are) being blocked by the window lock relay on the driver side panel. 2 options, get a new board, or bypass the window lock switch. If I remember correctly, there is a thread in here about it, if not ill post again later ( I'm on my phone )
The locks not working could be a couple things. If your keys are in the ignition your locks will not lock with any door open(key sensor). For all these problems, it could be the boards.
Usually(at least mine) had leds in the switches that when it got power (and working) the leds were on a faint green.

Id sugest by starting with checking your switches. Get a DMM, pull the boards from the doors, and get a service manual. You can check the connectivity between the pins.
sirvs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2011, 11:55 AM   #4
jnbenson
2001 FSJ Cherokee 

My jeep has the green LED lights too... sometimes they are "on" on the other window switches, sometimes they are not, either way, no one can operate the windows but me. THat, and my electric mirrors don't work any longer. So I'm thinking a new board. What is the official name for that part? Autozone has become my new favorite place to shop lately! :-)
Unread 10-17-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
sirvs
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnbenson
My jeep has the green LED lights too... sometimes they are "on" on the other window switches, sometimes they are not, either way, no one can operate the windows but me. THat, and my electric mirrors don't work any longer. So I'm thinking a new board. What is the official name for that part? Autozone has become my new favorite place to shop lately! :-)
I just call it the window/lock board
I actually pulled some out of some donor jeeps in a yard. The 2 and 4 door models have the same passanger boards in 2 and 4 door models.
I still recommend testing the pins on the boards, they could be fine and the window lock on the driver door is blocking all of them.
Ill take a look at the parts when I get home to see if they have numbers and whatnot for you
Unread 10-17-2011, 12:11 PM   #6
jnbenson
2001 FSJ Cherokee 

That would be fantastic! Thank you.
Unread 10-17-2011, 01:59 PM   #7
shadams
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks guys! I need to go to the junk yard for some other parts I'll check out the boards too.
Unread 10-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #8
banndit
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I had the same issue w/ my power windows. I ended up solving it by spraying the switches out with electrical contact cleaner, especially the lock out switch. Spray the switch, push it multiple times, spray again, etc. I did it about 10 times and now all my switches work.

good luck.
Unread 10-17-2011, 04:28 PM   #9
LEO_WRANGLER

In my Jeep's case (98 Cherokee), the power locks 'sort of' work. I hit the master lock switch and all the doors will lock or unlock -- EXCEPT the driver's door, which makes sort of ringing whining sound, with no movement of the lock. I can lock it manually and that still works.

I haven't disassembled the doors on this vehicle. Could someone point to a thread or writeup that describes this procedure?

Thanks,
James
LEO_WRANGLER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2011, 04:50 PM   #10
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Start by checking the wires between the door and the body (remove the boot to access them). You may have cracked or broken wires, which is common. If that doesnt help, here is a write up that may : http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...ummies-459934/

I drive an XJ, and all of my power windows work :)

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD
DD (Mine) Sold - 98 XJ Moss Green
(His) - 92 YJ December 2013 YJOTM

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
WTF is Clockspring??? my Jeep has digital clock
AmbuGrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2011, 06:35 PM   #11
shadams
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEO_WRANGLER View Post
In my Jeep's case (98 Cherokee), the power locks 'sort of' work. I hit the master lock switch and all the doors will lock or unlock -- EXCEPT the driver's door, which makes sort of ringing whining sound, with no movement of the lock. I can lock it manually and that still works.

I haven't disassembled the doors on this vehicle. Could someone point to a thread or writeup that describes this procedure?

Thanks,
James
I do not get any clicking or buzzing when i hit the lock switch...i manually lock all my doors it gets anoying

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbuGrl View Post
Start by checking the wires between the door and the body (remove the boot to access them). You may have cracked or broken wires, which is common. If that doesnt help, here is a write up that may : http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...ummies-459934/
i checked all the wires they seem fine but thanks i will check out that write up.

also i think my radio is wired up wrong...when i turn the nob down the volume goes up and vice versa. Come to think of it all my wiring seems to be wrong. Anybody have any advice on the radio??

Last edited by shadams; 10-17-2011 at 06:48 PM..
Unread 10-17-2011, 09:03 PM   #12
sirvs
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnbenson View Post
That would be fantastic! Thank you.
Not a problem
So I grabbed one of the modules I have. The module number is 39754D with a UPC(or some other code) that is 56009506AC.
I did a quick google and came up with this
Just to give you an idea what the passenger ones look like.
The driver side changes for the 2 door or the 4 door cherokee (basically the number of switches installed on it, the wiring is all the same).

I also took a look in a service manual. you can test the continuity between pins on the lower (larger) pins 9 and 10 when the window switch is up and then 2 and 10 for the window switch to be down. Dont quote me on those, but Im pretty sure its right. This can tell you whether your switch itself is working or not for the window. If it is working, your issue could be anything...
Unread 10-17-2011, 09:15 PM   #13
sirvs
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEO_WRANGLER View Post

Thanks,
James
Hey James,
It sounds like another issue I just had. Mine would periodically work, for some reason. Almost every time I hit either lock or unlock, I would get a high pitch whining noise. Like the motor was going, just never catching.
I just replaced the lock motor. But there is always an issue with the simple task :-P

The lock motor is actually attached to the door latch. Its actually very easy to fix.
Lemme give you a quick write-up of it from memory. Im not sure if there is a thread about it or not.
1. Take off your door molding
2. Take off the lock motor wiring
3. Disconnect the locking bars and the latch bars
There should be 4 I believe.
Inside Handle
Inside Lock button
Outside door push button
Outside Key lock
4. Take off the 3 bolts right beside the latch in the door jam. I believe theyre star bits but dont quote me on that.

Thats it, it should be free.
When you put in a new one, compare it to the one coming out. There is a screw on the top that adjusts how far up or down the latch can go. This needs to be about the same otherwise, youll have issues closing your door

I grabbed my new one from the junkyard. Works well so far, and no more motor whining.
Unread 10-17-2011, 09:19 PM   #14
sirvs
1999 XJ Cherokee 

So...3 posts in a row. Go me!

I ran across the thread about
1. Removing the door panel
and
2. Adding the splice to bypass the window lock switch

Thanks itasor for the write-up
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...ummies-459934/
Unread 10-18-2011, 06:49 AM   #15
jnbenson
2001 FSJ Cherokee 

THank you again! :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.