Power window fell down - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Power window fell down

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 11-30-2006, 08:58 AM   #1
David K.

Power window fell down

Driver power window fell down today after paying toll. I can hear the motor still works. So, I think that it just fell of the track. I did hear a small crack/thud type of sound when it happened a hair after the window got to the top.

Is there a way to save myself pulling the door apart or does it have to come apart?

David K. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2006, 10:15 AM   #2
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

The window regulator is broken. It can be repaired if you are clever, or replaced with the new/improved design.

In either case, the door panel must be removed to gain access to the regulator.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2006, 02:17 PM   #3
Croyle00XJ
2006 XK Commander 

The same thing happened to my pass. window. Don't what ever you do take it to the dealer. The one down here in West Palm FL. said it would cost $470 to replace the regulator. If you can do without the vehical for a week order a cheap one off the internut or luck out in a junk yard. I lucked out and had a guy come to my house with the part for cheap. The door panel is only 3 or 4 screws and a standard screwdriver should do the trick popping it off! It's not hard at all. Good luck pal, it's a sucky situation!!.....you can always break out the plastic bags and duct tape them up, chicks dig it!! Good luck pal!
Croyle00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2006, 04:55 PM   #4
David K.

I have the door panel off and thought that I could find something broken...That isn't the case. What is the regulator? that needs fixing/replacing? There is much less in there than I thought. I can hear the power working but nothing moving.

Thanks
Unread 11-30-2006, 05:53 PM   #5
03silvers

the regulater is the aluminum track the window rides along...goes up and down in the door....unbolt and remove then replace
Unread 11-30-2006, 07:09 PM   #6
David K.

thank you, for now I used 3 zip ties to keep the window up so it can be driven while i track down the regulator. How much should I expect to spend? Say, junk yard vs stealership? Is it worth it to go to the aftermarket for this type of Item?
Unread 11-30-2006, 09:49 PM   #7
isenegger
1996 XJ Cherokee 

$280 from chrysler or about $100 or so from a junkyard. the only bad thing about the junkyard is just that....theres is old too and will break again like yours. there is a sticky about removing it and repairing it with cotter pins. which im going to try to do as well this weekend.

http://jeephorizons.com/tech/xjwindow.html
Unread 11-30-2006, 09:52 PM   #8
stock777

look on ebay for a new regulator, i payed 120 and found one that night for 20, dang it was already installed by then, mine went at 90k miles but i use my windows all the time
stock777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2006, 06:39 AM   #9
David K.

Does anyone know what part of the regulator attached to the broken teeth?
Unread 12-01-2006, 07:18 AM   #10
bridgman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i paid $35 bucks for one in the junkyard
bridgman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2006, 07:40 AM   #11
Rasalibra

i have a similiar issue i guess, only i have manual windows. it didnt just fall down however when you crank it down you can only go down 1/4 of the way to the bottom before it gets stuck and when u want to put it up you have to pull the window while your cranking the handle and it will come up and crank up like nothing it feels as though something is stripped. Does anyone know whats causing this.?
Rasalibra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2006, 10:37 AM   #12
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K.
Does anyone know what part of the regulator attached to the broken teeth?
That piece CANNOT be purchased by itself, unfortunately. (I have heard of guys repairing these, but I don't know the details.)
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2006, 10:53 AM   #13
h2oskiier222

I replaced the regulator on my '98 drivers window and it was about $140 from the stealership. It came with a new motor and track and bolted right in.

2002 Ford F-250 4x4 xlt SC SWB PowerStroke Diesel, 6spd, 4" exhaust w/ aero turbine and 5" magnaflow tip, afe stage 2 intake with PG7 filter, PacBrake PRXB Exhaust Brake
h2oskiier222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2006, 11:29 AM   #14
Rafa
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Just for references, I got quoted $190 for the complete regulator and motor at the dealer in FL. Mine is about to kick because it is grinding when the window reaches the top.
Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2006, 12:27 PM   #15
XJHERO
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I was going to have mine fixed until the service counter guy told me it would be $350.... Fudge that. Someone needs to write to the manufacturer and tell them to produce just that stupid little threaded plastic dealy. Thats all I need for mine. Lets see... 350 for small piece of plastic..... me thinks not!

DIFF GUARDS, ENGINE AND TRANS SKID, CB
XJHERO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.