Power upgrades? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Power upgrades?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
jcburton231

Power upgrades?

Hey everyone. I have a 99 sport and want just a little more power out of it. Any suggestions cheap is good but I want to explore my options. A nice balance between power and price would be great.

jcburton231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
grainofsalt
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Fresh spark plugs and air filter is the first place to start. A camshaft is a iffy power upgrade, Other than MOPAR not many aftermarket cams last a real long time.

Regearing should also be on the table.

That's my .02
Unread 06-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #3
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Here's a link that will tell you everything you need to know.

Jeep 4.0 more power
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 07:44 AM   #4
jcburton231

I've already done a complete tune up. Spark plugs, air filter the whole nine yards. One thing I was looking into was saving up for cold air intake. Not sure though.
jcburton231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Jeep and Power shouldn't be used in the same sentence.

I drive an XJ, and all of my power windows work :)

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD
DD (Mine) Sold - 98 XJ Moss Green
(His) - 92 YJ December 2013 YJOTM

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
WTF is Clockspring??? my Jeep has digital clock
AmbuGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcburton231 View Post
I've already done a complete tune up. Spark plugs, air filter the whole nine yards. One thing I was looking into was saving up for cold air intake. Not sure though.
If you're eyeballing one of those cone-filter FIPK kits, don't waste your money. It should be illegal to call those cold air intakes--they still breathe hot engine bay air. Thor, Spectre, or homemade cowl intakes are probably the simplest way to grab cold air.

A cowl intake, header, nice exhaust, and replacing mechanical fan with electric are all relatively easy ways to get a few extra horses, but you'll probably never gain enough to even notice a real effect unless you're prone to the placebo effect.

Hmmm, I feel like I've said all of this before...on this site even...must just be deja vu, right?
Unread 06-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #7
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The only real performance mods that made ANY noticeable difference for me was the bored throttle body and Dynomax cat-back exhaust. The exhaust helped me gain 1 mpg and the bored throttle body helped off the line throttle response. Nothing else did anything worth their price. I got the throttle body from strokedjeep.com. Jeff does great work. The Dynomax I bought from Summit Racing and the whole kit was $75 after mail-in rebate.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Everyone that will tell you any different is FOS.A re-gear or stroker are the only ways to get anything out of a 4.0.Chips,TB spacers,exhaust,CAI's are all BS when it comes to adding any power.If anyone thinks differently,they're wrong and probably bought one of these to calculate their gains.

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...word=butt+dyno
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
Yeap its your nuts that giving you the trouble here...... Get the right ones
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #9
grainofsalt
1998 XJ Cherokee 

For my '98 the dynomax exhaust didn't seem to add any power, The bored TB gave a more aggressive off idle, But no added power.

Now the stroker, That has a felt power increase, But for real power, Add forced induction, Or a V8.
Unread 06-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #10
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Everyone that will tell you any different is FOS.A re-gear or stroker are the only ways to get anything out of a 4.0.Chips,TB spacers,exhaust,CAI's are all BS when it comes to adding any power.If anyone thinks differently,they're wrong and

probably bought one of these to calculate their gains.

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...word=butt+dyno
Larf!
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #11
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

I bought the Dynomax exhaust from Summit as well--$75 after rebate is a steal. I didn't want anything particularly loud or droney. Did I gain any power? Beats me; I don't care enough to run a Cherokee on a dynamometer to see. Do I feel a difference? Hell no. Boogieman is being a bit closed-minded and arrogant to say that NOTHING can add power other than a re-gear or stroker. Hell, I could be pedantic and point-out that regearing doesn't add power to the engine--just changes the way the existing power is used. I could also be even more pedantic and point-out that stroking a 4.0 doesn't really get you more power out of your 4.0 because, once stroked, it's not a 4.0 anymore--it's a 4.5 or 4.7 or whatever.

Cold air, header, 2.5" mandrel-bent exhaust, electric fan, throttle body bore (TB spacers are a complete waste of money on a 4.0, though), head port/polish, AC delete...these things should net you power increases, but they will be MINIMAL. The 4.0's potential is pretty well tapped without doing some major modifications and/or rebuilding it as a stroker. Personally, I feel the 4.0 is plenty powerful and a pretty amazing match for the XJ.
Unread 06-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #12
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcburton231 View Post
Don't waste your money on anything but a cowl intake. Even then it's not a noticeable performance upgrade by itself. There's nothing by itself that will give you noticeable performance gains without upgrading to something like a 4.7l stroker. But, there are a lot of minor performance mods that will add up like a true CAI cowl intake, better exhaust set up, bored intake along with TB, ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbuGrl View Post
Jeep and Power shouldn't be used in the same sentence.
No reason they shouldn't be. There's been plenty of strong Jeep drivetrains. 4.0 in an XJ might not be all that powerful in the top end but it's got by far the best in class low end torque. Hell, I had an 81 CJ5 with a 351 Cleveland that had enough torque to blow itself up on its rear on takeoff if you hit the clutch right.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.