power steering pump install - reservoir - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > power steering pump install - reservoir

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 02-27-2007, 05:22 PM   #1
VR6NH

power steering pump install - reservoir

I just picked up a new power steering pump. I salvaged my old fluid reservoir and am now having a problem creating a seal between the reservoir and pump. Any suggestions? Is there supposed to be a gasket or an o-ring to create the seal?

This is the concern (sorry for the huge pic)...

Also, when it comes to installing the pulley, do I need to press it on with a specified tool or just press it on with the mounting bolt?

Thanks for the help!

Travis

Unread 02-27-2007, 06:20 PM   #2
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Here is a quote from the FSM:

DISASSEMBLY
(1) Remove power steering pump.
(2) Clean exterior of pump.
(3) Clamp the pump body in a soft jaw vice.
(4) Pry up tab and slide the retaining clips off
NOTE: Use new retaining clips for installation.
(5) Remove fluid reservoir from pump body.
Remove and discard O-ring seal.
ASSEMBLY
(1) Lubricate new O-ring Seal with Mopar Power
Steering Fluid or equivalent.

Since it talks about an O-ring seal, I am guessing that's what you are missing. (What happened to the one you took off?)

You need a special tool to install the pump pulley. Any Autozone will loan you the tool for free. DO NOT try to pound or press the pulley on without the tool. You WILL destroy the pulley and/or damage the pump.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!

For Sale to Good Home---2000 XJ Factory Service Manual (Printed Version) PM for details.
AZ Jeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2007, 07:54 PM   #3
90lerado

return it, spend the extra 10 bucks for one with a new resvoir. you can rent the tools from autozone or you can goto your local garage, pay 10 bucks, and they will swap the pullys for you. they usually charge me 10 and i tip the tech another 10. well worth the 20 bucks.

Wife's/my vehicle: 06 Pontiac vibe awd
Hopefully a jeep sometime in the future
90lerado is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2007, 12:22 AM   #4
KML04
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah its worth the extra time to find someone to press it on for you. My friend just destroyed 3 pumps tring to do it himself. If you do use a bolt and washer to press it on make sure the bolt is high quality!
KML04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2007, 08:52 AM   #5
bee guz

They rent the tool at autozone and advance auto, use a credit card, and they charge the card and when you bring it back they credit the card, it doesn't cost anything,it's just a deposit to bring the tool back...
bee guz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2007, 03:22 PM   #6
VR6NH

Thanks for the help... the pump has been installed. I have not driven it more than a block down the street yet because my damn belt wont stop making noise. Regardless, the steering is somewhat sporadic... I barely put the reservoir cap on, started the motor let it idle. After a minute or two, I turned the wheels in each direction. I could hear air being worked out of the pump. However, the steering is still sketchy. Working smooth at points, and not working at all at other points. Im guessing the fluid will work itself out after a few miles... we'll see.
Unread 02-28-2007, 05:18 PM   #7
VR6NH

Update... When the motor runs at idle speed the steering is powerless. Anywhere beyond idle (even a hundred RPMs or so) the steering is fine....?
Unread 02-28-2007, 05:44 PM   #8
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

One question and one word of caution:

Question--what prompted you to replace your PS pump? (Are you sure the PS pump is the source of whatever troubles your power steering has?)

Caution--when installing PS pump pullies, it's important to get the pulley perfectly in line with all the other pullies in the accessory drive line. The PS pulley can be pressed on to a variable depth, and if pressed too deep (or not deep enough), it will be out of line with all the other pullies, and cause belt noise. To quote the FSM:

"With Serpentine Belt, run engine until warm (5 min.) and note any belt chirp. If chirp exists, move pulley outward approximately 0.5 mm (0.020 in.). If noise increases, press on 1.0 mm (0.040 in.). Be careful that pulley does not contact mounting bolts."
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!

For Sale to Good Home---2000 XJ Factory Service Manual (Printed Version) PM for details.
AZ Jeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2007, 11:43 PM   #9
VR6NH

That was the only thought I had in terms of the noise. I figured it was close to impossible to install the pulley and have it perfectly aligned with all the other pullies... if anything, its not in far enough. And that is exactly what it is... a "chirp".

I replaced my steering pump because it seized up last friday... It was in the making for a long time. A few ball bearings flew out, fluid spewed everywhere, and the pulley spindle had about an inch of play (in/out).

Thanks again,

Travis
Unread 02-28-2007, 11:56 PM   #10
Rescue XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Moving the resivor around is easy. Make sure you bleed the system.
4L HO Command track Dana 30 front Chrysler 8.25 rear CarQuest XD shocks, Federal Signal emergency stuff, MCX 1000 DES-XL, TK-940, Astro Spectra W3 encrypted, Magnaflow 18" body, Medical supplies, MREs, Gatoraid, Shovel, MagLite, body armor, grappling hook, annoying squeeking sound from my door, otherwise stock for now.
White Jeep Club Member #911
Code 3 Jeep Club Member #1
Eagle Scout Jeep Club Member #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx50cj3a
Vatozone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 Briarwood
I think "that look" is what they teach the chicks in 6th grade when they show them "that film" behind closed doors.
Rescue XJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.