Power steering problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Power steering problem

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-19-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
jimwww
2011 JK Wrangler 

Power steering problem

Just this morning my steering is acting like it is notched - I move it a bit and then it stays, move it a bit more (5 inch each time) and it stays etc.. both directions - it has been smoother than this before - never run into this b4. There is fluid in the power steering container. It is harder to turn but only for a second or so.

Any ideas? (starting to act like a manual steering vehicle)

A friend of mine said he thinks I am losing vacuum.

Last edited by jimwww; 08-19-2009 at 02:51 PM..
jimwww is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2009, 05:59 PM   #2
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Vacuum has NOTHING to do with the power steering. Your "notchiness" sounds like a power steering gear issue. Try flushing the system with new fluid. If that fails to fix it, get a new steering gear from the boneyard.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2009, 01:52 AM   #3
jimwww
2011 JK Wrangler 

Well they looked at it - where I was getting my windshield installed and said that it is dying because of it wearing out - or because of the big tires. Regardless - I need a new pump. Now what really gets interesting is someone came along from the states to vancouver, BC and bought up almost all the jeeps available (in the last week or so) at wreckers with parts - put em in a shipping container bound back to the USA. There are no used wrecker power steering pumps in the lower mainland (near vancouver) in the city. Hmm. I have to buy a rebuilt or a new one.

I am glad I got the windshield (new) for 78 bucks as I did today.. because that is not going to happen anytime soon.
Unread 08-20-2009, 10:52 AM   #4
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwww View Post
Well they looked at it - where I was getting my windshield installed and said that it is dying because of it wearing out - or because of the big tires. Regardless - I need a new pump. Now what really gets interesting is someone came along from the states to vancouver, BC and bought up almost all the jeeps available (in the last week or so) at wreckers with parts - put em in a shipping container bound back to the USA. There are no used wrecker power steering pumps in the lower mainland (near vancouver) in the city. Hmm. I have to buy a rebuilt or a new one.

I am glad I got the windshield (new) for 78 bucks as I did today.. because that is not going to happen anytime soon.
I don't think your issue is in the pump. It's more likely a steering GEAR BOX issue (the thing that's connected to the steering linkage.)
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.