Power steering problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Power steering problem

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 08-19-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
jimwww
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Power steering problem

Just this morning my steering is acting like it is notched - I move it a bit and then it stays, move it a bit more (5 inch each time) and it stays etc.. both directions - it has been smoother than this before - never run into this b4. There is fluid in the power steering container. It is harder to turn but only for a second or so.

Any ideas? (starting to act like a manual steering vehicle)

A friend of mine said he thinks I am losing vacuum.

Last edited by jimwww; 08-19-2009 at 02:51 PM..
jimwww is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2009, 05:59 PM   #2
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Vacuum has NOTHING to do with the power steering. Your "notchiness" sounds like a power steering gear issue. Try flushing the system with new fluid. If that fails to fix it, get a new steering gear from the boneyard.
2000 XJ 3" lift -- Australian Ford Big Brakes up front, rock rails, ZJ rear discs (with WORKING parking brake), C4x4 rear bumper/tire carrier, Hella H4 headlights, IPF driving lights, OEM skid plates, OME springs/shocks, JKS LCA's, JKS Sway Bar links.
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 01:52 AM   #3
jimwww
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well they looked at it - where I was getting my windshield installed and said that it is dying because of it wearing out - or because of the big tires. Regardless - I need a new pump. Now what really gets interesting is someone came along from the states to vancouver, BC and bought up almost all the jeeps available (in the last week or so) at wreckers with parts - put em in a shipping container bound back to the USA. There are no used wrecker power steering pumps in the lower mainland (near vancouver) in the city. Hmm. I have to buy a rebuilt or a new one.

I am glad I got the windshield (new) for 78 bucks as I did today.. because that is not going to happen anytime soon.
jimwww is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 10:52 AM   #4
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwww View Post
Well they looked at it - where I was getting my windshield installed and said that it is dying because of it wearing out - or because of the big tires. Regardless - I need a new pump. Now what really gets interesting is someone came along from the states to vancouver, BC and bought up almost all the jeeps available (in the last week or so) at wreckers with parts - put em in a shipping container bound back to the USA. There are no used wrecker power steering pumps in the lower mainland (near vancouver) in the city. Hmm. I have to buy a rebuilt or a new one.

I am glad I got the windshield (new) for 78 bucks as I did today.. because that is not going to happen anytime soon.
I don't think your issue is in the pump. It's more likely a steering GEAR BOX issue (the thing that's connected to the steering linkage.)
2000 XJ 3" lift -- Australian Ford Big Brakes up front, rock rails, ZJ rear discs (with WORKING parking brake), C4x4 rear bumper/tire carrier, Hella H4 headlights, IPF driving lights, OEM skid plates, OME springs/shocks, JKS LCA's, JKS Sway Bar links.
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.