Power steering noise (with video) - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 08-12-2017, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
ebreel
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Question Power steering noise (with video)

Hi Jeep enthousiasts,

Since 6 months I own an XJ Cherokee from 1999 - a dream come true! But since a month or so a noise developed which seems to come from the power steering unit. Even when standing still with idling engine a noise occurs when turning the wheel. The noise initially only occurred when turning the wheel a lot, especially when idling and turning close to the extremes left or right. Now the noise is almost always present: only when turning very gently it seems not to make the noise. The noise is low-pitched and it sounds like something vibrates or oscillates - this can also be felt in the steering wheel.

I have a video but will add this later, I am not allowed to add it in my first post apparently..
Edit: At least I can add the picture of the flui that came out - if I hold a bright LED flashlight to the side the light does not even shine through the liquid..

The fluid level is OK, and today I emptied the power steering reservoir and filled it again with new fluid (the original mopar power steering fluid), and repeated this once after running the engine idle and steering a bit. The initial fluid that came out was pitch black, in the second run the fluid was still very black, but a little bit more transparent. So now the fluid is still dark of colour however much lighter than before, but the noise remains exactly the same.

Any ideas what this may be? I have some long drives coming up and would like to make sure I do not destroy anything driving like this..

Attached Thumbnails
20170812_181114.jpg  

Last edited by ebreel; 08-12-2017 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Added picture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-20-2017, 09:04 PM
dzywicki
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Keep doing the fluid swap like you did until it is a lot more clear. There are only a couple ways to do a DIY power steering fluid flush. The easiest is the way you are doing it. Keep pulling all you can out if the reservoir and refilling until it is much lighter in color (like the new fluid you are putting in). It takes several drain/refills but will work eventually and will change most of the fluid out. You will never get all of the old fluid out this way. Another way is to remove the return line from the reservoir and route it into a container of some sort. Start the engine and then pour new fluid in while the old fluid is pumped out. You may need someone to move the steering wheel a little bit to get the fluid moving. With the fluid that black, you may want to take it to a service place and have them do it. The power steering assembly is pretty robust on these so completely changing the fluid out is definitely worth a try.

Tags
front axle , noise , noise when turning , power steering , power steering fluid

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.