Power steering leak b/t pump and reservoir - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Power steering leak b/t pump and reservoir

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-26-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
Wharf Rat
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Power steering leak b/t pump and reservoir

96 XJ 4.0. I have a leak between the power steering pump and the reservoir that leaves about an 6" puddle every night. I have searched and found no fix, only instructions on how to change the o-ring, which I have done 3 times now. Even tried using two o-rings which slowed the leak but did not stop it. It is a new pump and new reservoir (Advance) which have both been taken back and replaced again becuase I thought it was a faulty desigin, also all new hoses. Still leaking, and I'm sure it is leaking there. Any one else had this issue and what did you do to fix?

Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
gnic188

You ever find a fix? I am having a similar issue on my 99 classic.
gnic188 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #3
KEH1997
1997 TJ Wrangler 

When the PS pump in my 4.0 went bad a year or two ago, I initially decided I'd just replace the pump and reuse my existing reservoir. When I went to pick up the pump, the saleswoman at Advance guaranteed me I'd have leaks if I tried reusing the reservior. Once its disconnected from a pump and reinstalled, it's incredibly hard to reseal.

You can try Power Steering Stop Leak fluid, but I doubt it will cure a leak that big. Sorry I don't have any incredible advice...just wanted to say that it's a pretty common issue.
KEH1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
Wharf Rat
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah i figure I'm just going to have to take them back and get one that is already put together. They are still under warranty so they should honor it. Thanks.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
leak , pump , reservoir , steering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.