Power Door locks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Power Door locks

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 05-11-2006, 03:22 PM   #1
cherokee99spt

Power Door locks

I just bought a 99 jeep cherokee sport and the power door locks dont seem to be working. When i click the in car button over nothing happens. Should i check the fuses or is this a result of something else malfunctioning? thanks

cherokee99spt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2006, 04:46 PM   #2
RWB214

The fuses are the first thing you should check before troubleshooting. If they are ok, let me know and I can help you troubleshoot further.
RWB214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2006, 05:04 PM   #3
PoPilot

Check the battery in the remote!
PoPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2006, 05:07 PM   #4
Ghostjacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPilot
Check the battery in the remote!
i don't think he's referring to remote entry. of course i'm usually wrong about everything

edit: if you have remote entry.. does it work that way? i'm guessing you don't since you didn't mention it.

could also be broken wiring between the door and the jeep in the hinge area.
(try all the doors to see if you can use the locks from any of them. if some work, then it's probably a broken wire)
Unread 05-11-2006, 05:08 PM   #5
PoPilot

Man Im a dufus! He did say "in car button"!
PoPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2006, 05:16 PM   #6
TheNerd
2001 XJ Cherokee 

My power locks on the '01 have been on the fritz also. It is pretty common for door speakers to die on the newer XJ's due to busted wires near the hinge. I assume the same thing is happening there. Do you power locks lock when you use the passenger side button? Do they work when you use the remote? Do you hear a click?
Unread 05-11-2006, 05:21 PM   #7
Ghostjacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNerd
My power locks on the '01 have been on the fritz also. It is pretty common for door speakers to die on the newer XJ's due to busted wires near the hinge. I assume the same thing is happening there. Do you power locks lock when you use the passenger side button? Do they work when you use the remote? Do you hear a click?
yeah i had to replace a speaker wire in my passenger side door hinge (so i'd say maybe it is also likely with the door locks.. although i don't think it's quite as common with the lock wires)
Unread 05-11-2006, 06:11 PM   #8
cherokee99spt

Thanks for all the help guys but i did find the fuse blown and replaced it and the door locks now work. And for calrification it was both the inside buttons and the remote that were not working but the second i plugged in the un-blown fuse the locks made that noise that was music to my ears. Thanks again!
cherokee99spt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2006, 06:59 PM   #9
redyouch

if the key is in the ignition and the door is open, it wont lock.
[b]98 Cherokee Classic[/b] totaled
[b]95 Cherokee Sport[/b] flipped
[b]87 Wrangler[/b] sold for a profit... :)[/SIZE]
redyouch is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.