Possible Transmission issue- PLEASE HELP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Possible Transmission issue- PLEASE HELP

Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineRugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 03-06-2014, 09:38 PM   #1
Reaperz
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Possible Transmission issue- PLEASE HELP

Hello there everyone!

I'm brand new here but I have been looking through these forums for quite some time.

I am having problems that I cannot find a duplicate problem replicated anywhere on this forum so I will try to explain everything in extreme detail.

I have the Aisin Warner ax-15 manual transmission and the np 231 tcase

So I purchased and installed the 4.5 in rough country x series lift kit with 33in tires, the kit also came with the puck style tcase drop and we put that in as well to remedy the driveline angles for a short period of time. On the test drive we came to the conclusion it was not drivable and needed a new driveline. The next day I took it to have a slip yoke eliminator installed as well as a custom cv rear driveshaft and have the tcase drop removed.

Immediately after getting my vehicle back from the driveline shop I noticed that the vehicle was still vibrating and when I was moving in any gear with the clutch pedal depressed (still in gear) I heard loud clanging/rotating noises coming from what seemed to resonate from the clutch housing (bell housing) but not entirely sure. Take notice that it is now suddenly not wanting to go into every gear smoothly and it now grinds every gear upshifting and downshifting.

I think the issue is constant when the vehicle is moving but It is more prominent when pushing in the clutch pedal and leaving the jeep in gear, if I move the shifter to neutral the sound goes away (I think).

The clutch was just replaced about 1000ish kms ago with a centreforce and also the throw out bearing was replaced as well as the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder(external).

The transmission was dropped at the mechanic today and from what he tells me is the clutch still looks perfect , the pilot bearing and throw out bearing are still good and so are the pressure plate and flywheel as well as the input shaft for the transmission but when we drained the transmission oil it was almost a pure silver liquid. There were no shavings that stuck out prominently , it looked more like a fine silver powder.

If anyone could help out it would be highly appreciated, if you need to know any more information please let me know and ill try my best to describe what I can.

Reaperz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2014, 06:23 AM   #2
green97xjsport
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Doesn't sound like your describing angles resulting from a lift as your problem, at first it sounded like the clutch wasn't properly engaging/dis-engaging, and I would have suspected adjustment or throw out bearing new or not, but, silver liquid from the tranny, unless you just hit a silver mine and plan on striking it rich, sounds like you've already determined your trans needs further inspection, I suspect bent forks, gears not aligning properly, if a driveline shop as you say, hasn't been able to pinpoint this, GET OUT OF THERE!! they don't know what they are doing, I don't care who you know there or have been going there for X amount of time, find a competent transmission shop, possibly even a 4x4 shop, ask questions about their familiarity with your driveline, I suspect you'll be looking for another trans or rebuilding that one. If your not the original owner of that Jeep or trans, you have no idea how it was used and abused, and with larger tires etc. off-roading etc., things wear out. Good luck, report back when have results.
_(o))_____(o))--o-))
green97xjsport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2014, 09:57 AM   #3
Reaperz
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the reply, the driveline shop only did the driveline and transfer case and removed the tcase drop kit that came with the lift cause I really didn't like the angle it put on my transmission and how it sat in the boot. As soon as I got it back from them I started to have the issue , and my first thoughts were that the 1in tcase drop pucks put a strain on something and once they were removed it started to have problems. Then I blocked up the rear end and put her in gear and revved her up and depressed the clutch pedal while in gear and it sounded like a metallic clanking rotational sound and while the rear tires were still moving I would move the shifter to neutral and the sound would go away. We took a long screwdriver to the tcase and the transmission /bellhousing and the sound seemed to resonate from the the clutch area and the further back in the tranny we got the sound seemed to get less. Everything shifting wise and clutch wise previous to all this work was almost flawless and upon further inspection my regular mechanic (also an XJ guy) found nothing wrong in the bell housing and the symptoms are just so weird.... neither of us have ever witnessed this before.

The transmission was just sent to the only manual transmission shop in this town as of this morning... so hopefully they are pretty quick with cracking her open and diagnosing the problem, if there is even a problem with the tranny.
I was going to just order a new/remanufactured transmission but I didn't want to waste the money on it , slap it in and then discover I'm still having the problem....

I was just hoping someone on here had a similar/duplicate problem and could possibly steer me in the right direction so I don't have to jump through all these hoops and can finally drive my jeep normally
Unread 04-03-2014, 04:36 PM   #4
Reaperz
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Update: transmission was rebuilt , and the clanking still persists but only during second gear now... I honestly dont know what to do now at this point...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.