possessed headlights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > possessed headlights

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Hey Guys - Extreme Terrain Jeep Outfitters - ExtremeTerraiThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 02-24-2015, 05:47 AM   #1
jimale
1993 XJ Cherokee 

possessed headlights

1993 XJ 4.0L manual transmission 275k on the odo, has lived in NJ/PA all its life.

About a month ago I was driving along the highway in the middle of the night when I saw an obnoxious blinking light reflecting in the rear bumper of the car ahead of me. After the denial stage, I realized and accepted it was my Jeep.

Since that night, after about a half hour of driving, the headlights start blinking in a spaztic manner. Almost manic. They don't stop unless I turn the headlights all the way off (knob pushed all the way in) and then turn them back on. That usually gives me another 10-30 minutes of blink free headlights.

No other lights blink. All the interior and exterior lights stay on regardless of the headlights blinking. It's just the headlights. I haven't yet tried the high beams to see if they blink.

I'm thinking it's the ground or the switch behind the knob. What do yall think?

jimale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2015, 06:16 AM   #2
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

I think the circuit breaker in your headlight switch is overloading due to the resistance in your poorly designed and engineered headlight wiring circuit.

Add a supplemental harness and enjoy headlights that are about 35% brighter and a headlight switch which will likely never fail again.

Cruiser’s Headlight Upgrade Harness Instructions

It's easy to install a supplemental headlight harness.

From the factory, the voltage to the headlight bulbs travels from the battery, inside the cabin, to the headlamp switch, and then back out to the lamps via undersized wire. It's not uncommon to find only 10.5 volts at the lamps.

The supplemental harness is installed so that it provides battery voltage to the lamps and is just triggered by the factory wiring. The result is about 30% brighter headlamps and headlight switches that don't melt and burn out.

Absolutely plug and play. Remove grille and headlamp bulbs. I fed my harnesses from the passenger side starting between the battery and the back of the headlamp housing, over to the driver side. Plug the driver side bulb into the new harness. Attach the new harness's ground wire under one of the small bolts on the radiator support after scraping the paint off under it. Attach the harness to the existing harness behind the grille working toward the passenger side. . Plug the new harness plug into passenger headlamp. Plug original headlamp plug into receptacle on new harness. Attach the ground for the passenger side just like you did the driver side under a radiator support bolt. Attach relays with provided bracket on the passenger side inner fender. Connect power wires to battery.

Revised 12/10/2012

http://www.amazon.com/Putco-230004HW...t+wire+harness

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2015, 11:06 AM   #3
kbad
1996 XJ Cherokee 

hey man .. ditto cruiser, however the headlamp wiring also goes to the wiper/signal/hibeam switch lever .. btw, when the headlights freak do you smell/see smoke around your left dash area? if so or if messing with the wiper/signal/hibeam lever makes it happen, then also check out the wiper/signal lever switch connector on the steering column .. the high current headlight wiring goes thru the lever switch and with the crappy design, age, and materials used, the plastic switch connector detriorates causing the wiring to get brittle (wire sheathing breaks off) and eventually a short between the ground and power wires inside the switch! .. in that case you will need to patch in new wires and/or replace the connectors .. check out morris4x4 jeep info center for manuals and diagrams .. good luck!
kbad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2015, 03:10 PM   #4
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbad View Post
hey man .. ditto cruiser, however the headlamp wiring also goes to the wiper/signal/hibeam switch lever .. btw, when the headlights freak do you smell/see smoke around your left dash area? if so or if messing with the wiper/signal/hibeam lever makes it happen, then also check out the wiper/signal lever switch connector on the steering column .. the high current headlight wiring goes thru the lever switch and with the crappy design, age, and materials used, the plastic switch connector detriorates causing the wiring to get brittle (wire sheathing breaks off) and eventually a short between the ground and power wires inside the switch! .. in that case you will need to patch in new wires and/or replace the connectors .. check out morris4x4 jeep info center for manuals and diagrams .. good luck!
It won't be going through all that with a supplemental harness.....

My Jeep Technical Photos

Unread 02-24-2015, 03:53 PM   #5
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

The connector under your airbox for the lights probably looks like a methhead's mouth. I would suggest rewiring it all the way back as far as you can.
dsc_0891.jpg  
Unread 02-24-2015, 03:54 PM   #6
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

This one?

It can be cleaned. the biggest improvement is in the harness.
10-pin-connector.jpg  

My Jeep Technical Photos

Unread 02-25-2015, 08:04 AM   #7
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I replaced mine with 2 trailer connectors, since I was doing a relay harness for hte headlights, the power draw meant nothing. Those rotted connectors wick the moisture and corrode all the way up the wire.
Unread 02-25-2015, 04:33 PM   #8
jimale
1993 XJ Cherokee 

kbad: no smoke smell or visible smoke when the lights go haywire. Just a bad disco ball effect.

Thanks for the suggestions everybody. I replaced the headlight switch today ($14 at Napa why not) and I'll be getting into my buddy's shop later tonight at which point I will take a better look at the wiring and circuits. After that I will see about crafting a supplemental harness.
Unread 02-25-2015, 06:59 PM   #9
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimale View Post
kbad: no smoke smell or visible smoke when the lights go haywire. Just a bad disco ball effect.

Thanks for the suggestions everybody. I replaced the headlight switch today ($14 at Napa why not) and I'll be getting into my buddy's shop later tonight at which point I will take a better look at the wiring and circuits. After that I will see about crafting a supplemental harness.
Supplemental harness is the bomb.

My Jeep Technical Photos

Unread 02-25-2015, 07:07 PM   #10
kbad
1996 XJ Cherokee 

hey man .. that's cool - dont want no fires, eh ..

these are the upgrade kits many on the forum suggest .. putco hd harness & relay and rampage halogen light kit on ebay ..

while at it, check and make sure all of your ground connections are clean/tight .. also, check the core of your battery cables, if you see any oxidation (green) then its best to consider replacing them, along with the terminals - if they are original lead terminals, then they may have hairline cracks that expand with heat causing bad connection .. good luck!
kbad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2015, 07:11 PM   #11
jimale
1993 XJ Cherokee 

The harness yall are recommending says it is not compatible with the 1993 XJ is that true? Long as the plugs fit it should work right?
Unread 03-22-2015, 07:28 PM   #12
jimale
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Nevermind read through the reviews and apparently it fits all the jeeps that it says it doesn't. I guess I'll pick up some spare relays as per suggestion in several reviews i read through on amazon.
Unread 03-23-2015, 10:32 AM   #13
jimale
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Anybody know where to get the connector that is pictured in this thread? The female side of mine, the one NOT attached to the headlamp, is in bad shape... one of the wires is no longer attached to it, just lays in the hole and sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Can't seem to find that part, been searching the Internet and the Napa catalog since yesterday. Looking under headlight electrical systems, general electrical systems, connectors, and plugs. Have come across relay harnesses, switch connectors, and headlamp plugs but none that match this particular part. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.