Plowing with an XJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Plowing with an XJ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-05-2003, 08:51 AM   #1
JeepinHood

Plowing with an XJ?

Hi Gang.

A guy here at work was just talking to me about buying a Jeep and using it as a plow vehicle.

I told him that I had seen a few Jeeps with plows, usually Cherokees.

I suggested that he might want something with a towing package and then beefing up the front suspension.

I was wondering if anyone had experience in this department, either good or bad and mybe some suggestions as to the best way to go about it...

Thanks in advance,

JH

[COLOR=lightblue]'87 XJ Chief: R.I.P.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=White]Current: 2000 TJ...stock for now![/COLOR]
JeepinHood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2003, 09:18 AM   #2
xxxflhrci

Not a good idea with an XJ in my opinion. Since there is no frame, you would basically be ramming into your body with every push. Plowing snow is hard on a vehicle. It is rough on the suspension. Takes a terrible toll on the tranny. Sure, you can get plows for smaller vehicles, but they are really just for occasional use, like a guy plowing out his driveway. Trying to do commercial work with a small vehicle is gonna take a lot of life out of the vehicle.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2003, 10:32 AM   #3
ChrisinVA

This topic is so frustrating. There's many people that say the XJ can take mild plowing just fine, then you have the camp that swears the truck's uniframe will bend.

As a dedicated plower, the XJ isn't on my list of vehicles to use. I'd much rather have an F150 or Chevy with a real frame.
Unread 12-05-2003, 10:33 AM   #4
mrknocke

I agree, Even though it would fun as heck to plow snow w/ and xj....they wouldn't hold up as well as a truck frame for example. getting an older ford f-250 or something similar would probably better suit your needs. But, if you do end up using the xj...be sure to get some pics of the setup!!!
[URL=http://oregonstate.edu/~kronckem/flex1.jpg]Flex #1[/URL]
[URL=http://oregonstate.edu/~kronckem/flex2.jpg]Flex #2[/URL]
[B]-1996 XJ Country -[/B] [SIZE=1]4.0 L6, Command trac t-case, RE 3.5" Super Ride, 31" Cooper S/T, K&N filter, spicer u-joints, custom box in back[/SIZE]
[B]-1965 Chevrolet Malibu SS -[/B] [SIZE=1]350, 4-speed, lots of other goodies my hard earned money went to!![/SIZE]
mrknocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2003, 04:35 PM   #5
XJMark

If what everyone was saying in this thread was true then you wouldn't be able to safely operate a winch on the vehicle or pull anyone out of a ditch for that matter without "bending the unibody". Remember this is "snow" we're talking about not boulders, you let the weight of the truck do the work you don't need to jam the gas pedal, and you don't need to crash it into snowbanks when "pushing" snow either (pushing explained below).

Snow plow blades have springs on the back of them that cause the plow blade to bend forward and unload itself when the snow creates too much drag, this is by design to prevent damage to your vehicle. Even the highway department trucks have these springs on their plows (albeit much larger) and I've seen those flex down pretty good when they snag potholes.

Besides you have to mount a plow receiver frame to the front before a plow blade even goes on, this further reinforces the front of the truck. Heavy duty coil springs in the front wouldn't hurt either to help carry the extra weight of the plow/frame.

You also never "push" more than a couple inch thickness snow with a straight blade, you always tilt the blade to the left or right so that the snow will unload and pack to the left or right of you. You only push with a flat blade to re-arrange a small bit of snow to where you need it.

As for the transmission and drive train.... What do we always tell everyone? Come on you ALL should know this one! Easy on the skinny pedal! A well installed plow and some common sense and you're on your way. I lived in Chicago all my life before I moved to FL. and I've used a friends XJ plow to clear out my driveway before. It was like nothing to move 8+" of snow with the blade angled. Remember if your XJ can't handle the plowing you're doing, then you got there when the snow got too deep for your setup, time to call in a bigger truck/plow.

Mark
XJMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2003, 01:38 AM   #6
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I'll agree with you that when used properly the XJ might be able to handle light plowing but I disagree with you on this statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJMark
If what everyone was saying in this thread was true then you wouldn't be able to safely operate a winch on the vehicle or pull anyone out of a ditch for that matter without "bending the unibody"...
When plowing you are pushing against something while your drivetrain is trying to go forward. Winching you are pulling the vehicle in the same direction the drivetrain is trying to move the vehicle. These are opposite forces and so I think you are comparing apples to oranges.

But, I think the real harm to the vehicle is the toll that the weight of having the plow and mounting equipment on the front end. Anyone know how much a setup weighs? Then combined with incorrect use it'll really take a toll on the jeep. This is just my opinion, but if you are doing a lot of plowing, it takes A LOT of concentration to not push too much snow into the pile time to time. Plus there are often hidden obstacles that the blade will hit and even though you say there are springs behind it, I think it would be rough over time to any vehicle but moreso to a unibody.

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2003, 06:48 PM   #7
90lerado

a plow on an xj wouldnt be to bad depending on the aplication, for a small parking lot or a driveways your fine, for using on streets and bigger parking lots a pickup is ideal, allthough some suv's work ok, for highways and runways etc a mack dump truck or similar truck is what you need. I am not an expert on plowing but my friends dad owns a company that does plowing and does highways with his macks, and streets with his f350's and uses the bobcat and a wrangler for a few local parking lots.
key to it is take it easy, he uses the wrangler to plow and the bobcat to pile the snow.

Wife's/my vehicle: 06 Pontiac vibe awd
Hopefully a jeep sometime in the future
90lerado is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2003, 07:18 AM   #8
93XJSport

I was just thinking about this exact topic, and here's why:

The local Chrysler/Plymouth/Jeep dealer had none other than a 97+ white XJ (Limited, no less) as their plow vehicle. I was quite shocked to see a unibody XJ as their plow vehicle...but I guess if it's ok for the dealer to do it, we should be ok Right?

94 XJ Sport 4D, 4.0 HO AX4 4WD
BLACK, 103K miles...

89 MJ Sportruck, 2.5 TBI 4-speed 2WD shortbed *SOLD*

89 XJ Limited 4D, 4.0 AX4 4WD *FOR SALE!!!*
Maroon, 195K miles...

[SIZE=4][COLOR=red]RED JEEP CLUB #93[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Member #14 of the Almighty 2" BB Club :)

"just tro a tree fitty in er"
"just tro a fo hunner in er! Don't forget tha NOS"
93XJSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2003, 06:16 AM   #9
JeepinHood

OK, so it sounds like this would be a bit of a risky deal... It sounds like a body on frame vehicle is better for a plowing application.

Do you all think a TJ or YJ (I know it's the XJ section, but what the heck!) would be better then?

My buddy isn't sure what kind of jeep he wants, he just wants a jeep. He does however want Fi as opposed to a carb. And in Ohio, who can blame him?

Thanks for that advice and opinions guys! As always, they're greatly appreciated!

JH

[COLOR=lightblue]'87 XJ Chief: R.I.P.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=White]Current: 2000 TJ...stock for now![/COLOR]
JeepinHood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2004, 10:26 AM   #10
penberth
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJMark
If what everyone was saying in this thread was true then you wouldn't be able to safely operate a winch on the vehicle or pull anyone out of a ditch for that matter without "bending the unibody". Remember this is "snow" we're talking about not boulders, you let the weight of the truck do the work you don't need to jam the gas pedal, and you don't need to crash it into snowbanks when "pushing" snow either (pushing explained below).

Snow plow blades have springs on the back of them that cause the plow blade to bend forward and unload itself when the snow creates too much drag, this is by design to prevent damage to your vehicle. Even the highway department trucks have these springs on their plows (albeit much larger) and I've seen those flex down pretty good when they snag potholes.

Besides you have to mount a plow receiver frame to the front before a plow blade even goes on, this further reinforces the front of the truck. Heavy duty coil springs in the front wouldn't hurt either to help carry the extra weight of the plow/frame.

You also never "push" more than a couple inch thickness snow with a straight blade, you always tilt the blade to the left or right so that the snow will unload and pack to the left or right of you. You only push with a flat blade to re-arrange a small bit of snow to where you need it.

As for the transmission and drive train.... What do we always tell everyone? Come on you ALL should know this one! Easy on the skinny pedal! A well installed plow and some common sense and you're on your way. I lived in Chicago all my life before I moved to FL. and I've used a friends XJ plow to clear out my driveway before. It was like nothing to move 8+" of snow with the blade angled. Remember if your XJ can't handle the plowing you're doing, then you got there when the snow got too deep for your setup, time to call in a bigger truck/plow.

Mark

I agree with Mark. You can do anything if its done correctly. Furthermore, if the XJ couldn't handle a plow, why would there be several manufacturers making plows for the XJ? Wouldn't that open them up to lawsuits? Meyer, Western, Blizzard, Snoway, etc....

I have a 6.5' Meyer on my 2000 XJ, and it easily pushes the snow. But like Mark said, you should plow with the storm, not after its over and you have a foot on the ground. You should plow every couple of inches. This ideology is used even with 3/4 ton trucks, etc.

I hang out over at www.plowsite.com and there is always discussions on plowing with Jeeps. This one guy wanted to put a plow on a Grand Cherokee. No manufacturer makes a plow for the ZJ/WJ because they have unibodys. SO I asked the obvious question as to why an XJ can take a plow when it also is unibody? They said that the XJ unibody is a lot strong than the grands, hence the reason manufacturers make a plow application.

Like anything, if you plow the correct way (with the storm) and take care of your equipment and vehicle, it will work fine. The manual with the plow explains how to maintain it, how to use it, etc. If you beat on your truck and run into curbs, or are plowing too fast, I don't care what you are using as your plow truck, it isn't going to hold up.

Good things to have when plowing with an XJ:
-Automatic tranny cooler
-timbren load boosters to ease the weight of the plow on the front end
do regular tranny fluid flushes, etc.

I hope all of this helps.
penberth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2004, 10:30 AM   #11
jeep jocky

i plow with my XJ and it's fine
jeep jocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2006, 09:15 PM   #12
Calvin 1989

penberth

Hi penberth I have a old 89 Cherokee Pioneer is there any way you could post a few pics of your Cherokee with the snow blade on it and the hook ups? I dont have a clue on how or where to connect a snow blade. Thank you very much.
Calvin 1989
Calvin 1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2006, 11:44 PM   #13
toledotimber

toledotimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2006, 05:35 AM   #14
JoBo

The jeep dealer where I got my 99 had a old xj with a plow mounted on it for their lot. But I wouldn't want a DD with that much weight added to the front
2000 Cherokee Classic with factory 16" wheels
JoBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2006, 06:10 AM   #15
godplayer

One of the local Chevy dealers uses a DODGE RAM as their plow vehicle. I was shocked.

I have sorta wanted a plow for my XJ but I thing I would rather just go buy a RAM or F150 and know it's frame will be ok.
92 Jeep Cherokee 2Dr Sport - 3 inch BDS springs, 2 inch homebrew coil spacer, 1 inch homebrew block, 1.5" RE Boomerang Shackles, Rustys Upper and Lower Adjustable Control Arms, Rustys Adjustable Trac-bar w/ Frame Mount, Rear Waggy D44 w/ Lockright, Front Waggy D44 w/ Full Spool, 4.88 Yukon Gears, PORC SYE, 140lb Homebrew Rocker Panels, 33x13.5LT15 Pitbull Rockers on 15x10 Black Steelies.

96 Jeep Cherokee 4Dr Sport - Daily Driver

65 Jeep CJ5 - Project, Wanted Prelude seats
godplayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.