Please Help!! P0138, P0141 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Please Help!! P0138, P0141

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 12-22-2013, 09:56 PM   #1
Willscharowkee

Please Help!! P0138, P0141

Hey everybody, I'm new here earlier this year my car was stolen and I acquired a 98 XJ for $500 with 170k on it. So far I have put about $1000 in parts onto it, (junkyard rear for bad pinion bearings VERY noisy, fuel pump-extended crank and bad FLS, cat converter-blown apart, spark plugs and wires, alternator, belt) I am a mechanic by trade so I save money on labor. I have repaired about 3 DTC's that were coming up except p0138 p0141 for the downstream O2 sensor. New sensor I put in is the larger bodied Bosch sensor, also checked the heater fuse underhood and it is good and has battery voltage with engine running and cleaned the ground on the block. I was hoping for a schematic for the downstream o2 sensor? Also wondering if anyone knows where underneath a chaff or break may occur besides the driveshaft, b/c thats fine. The reading remains at 450mv with the engine running for that sensor but sensor 1 does go down (and it is the original). I cannot pull my car in the shop I work at anymore (new owners) so I'll have to crawl underneath and start probing. Just hoping for some tips on locations if I do find it is in the harness. I have searched incessantly and keep finding the same answers. It is my only vehicle and I drive 400 miles a week to get to work. Any help is appreciated. thanks!

Willscharowkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
Willscharowkee

I figured it out, both heater element wires open right above the transfer case, goodbye CEL
Unread 12-26-2013, 01:13 PM   #3
green97xjsport
1997 XJ Cherokee 

What is a "FLS", and "DTC's", thought I was familiar with all the acronyms?!
_(o))_____(o))--o-))
green97xjsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2013, 09:22 AM   #4
Willscharowkee

Quote:
Originally Posted by green97xjsport View Post
What is a "FLS", and "DTC's", thought I was familiar with all the acronyms?!
FLS= fuel level sensor DTC= diagnostic trouble code like p0300 engine misfire
Unread 12-29-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
green97xjsport
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, it's been a while since I've use the 3 letter acronym for diagnostic trouble codes, since automotive school back in the 80's, just call them engine codes or check engine codes anymore, forgot about the fuels level sensors.

Did you get it figured out?
_(o))_____(o))--o-))
green97xjsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 09:44 AM   #6
Willscharowkee

It's ok I'm just a nerd cause I do this for work but yes I did fix it, I've been dealing with this for a while because I had so many other things to fix but I neglected to ever pull the body side of the o2 sensor connector from out of that little cover and when I did I found the 2 heated element wire were missing like they were yanked out and they were layin on the transfercase so I hard wired them to the 02 sensor and its working fine but I doubt if this 02 sensor fails they will warranty it with snipped wires but its been
Good so far! Shoulda checked that before I posted thought this might have been more complicated.

Last edited by Willscharowkee; 12-30-2013 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: Misspelling

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.